PDA

View Full Version : hand drill - the use and chuck size

Martin Rock
01-11-2010, 9:56 AM
Hi All

I would like to get an egg beater hand drill for woodworking

The vintage ones available have a max chuck opening for 3/16 - 1/4 or 3/8. Sometimes really old one can only accept 1/8 bit shank.

I would like to know what tasks, mostly woodworker do with these type of drills and what chuck size do they have (or wish they had)

thanks

martin

Jim Koepke
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Martin,

Welcome to the Creek.

My egg beater is used for general work. Some of the bits in my arsenal are the kind that drill a pilot for a screw and have a section for the shank and a counter sink. I have also tried to drive screws with it, but it is too much stress on the gears to drive the screw all the way to the end. It can save a little time, but a brace is good for this and in the long run, time is saved by not having to change bits back and forth.

If my memory is working, it can accept a 3/8" bit. There has never been a time when my thoughts drifted into wishing it was smaller. If one were doing small work, then one might want a smaller tool. The Millers Falls is a pretty big egg beater.

Georges basement dot com has a lot of information you might find useful.

jim

Michael Faurot
01-11-2010, 1:05 PM
With an egg beater type hand drill, you don't really want to be spinning big bits anyway. Check out this article (http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/A+Visual+Guide+To+MeatPowered+Drills.aspx) from Christopher Schwarz and search for the section on "Hand Drills".

Joel Goodman
01-11-2010, 1:36 PM
I have a few old Stanley's -- I think they take 1/4" bits. I use them for pilot holes for screws and for countersinking. 1/4" chuck is plenty as for big holes you'll want a brace and auger bits. To me eggbeaters are great cordless drills that never need recharging!

Jim Koepke
01-11-2010, 2:20 PM
I have a few old Stanley's -- I think they take 1/4" bits. I use them for pilot holes for screws and for countersinking. 1/4" chuck is plenty as for big holes you'll want a brace and auger bits. To me eggbeaters are great cordless drills that never need recharging!

I often use bigger bits for deburring a hole or as a countersink. There are also sets of forstner bits that have 3/8" shafts for all the bits.

jim

James Taglienti
01-11-2010, 3:25 PM
Here is my "Fine Work" drill... i generally use it for delicate work such as eyeglass and jewelery repair, and occasional dental procedures

george wilson
01-11-2010, 10:41 PM
James,I have one of those drills like you show! It's the first time I ever saw another one.

george wilson
01-12-2010, 9:40 AM
James,I got your PM. I'll have to dig the drill out to answer your question. I'm afraid its behind some heavy stuff. I've never used the drill,and can't recall the chuck,though I don't remember it being as massive as your chuck.

Rod Sheridan
01-12-2010, 10:14 AM

I have a Millers Falls #5 that I often use for hinge screw holes, installing curtain rods etc.

Great little drills, far lighter than battery powered drills, much better when using small bits.

Regards, Rod.

george wilson
01-12-2010, 12:33 PM
James,My chuck is shaped like yours,but somewhat smaller,and the front end is tapered. The rest is knurled like yours.

Dave Matson
01-12-2010, 8:12 PM
cool drill guys. looks like a goodell-pratt No. 58

Rather than pick just one I prefer a range of hand drills that can cover all beer powered drilling needs.

A millers falls #4 for teeny weeny holes
A MF #5 or #77 with a 0-1/4 inch chuck for drilling pilot holes
A MF #2 with a 0-3/8 inch chuck for general purpose work
A breast drill with 0-1/2 inch chuck for larger holes that require more torque. A MF #97 or North Brothers 1555 are the ultimate forms.

check www.oldtoolheaven.com to see MF drills along with their chuck sizes

ron david
01-12-2010, 8:37 PM
here are some hand jobs. I was using a .026" drill bit in the little one yesterday
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac281/padresag/DSCN2127.jpg
ron

Gary Herrmann
01-12-2010, 9:12 PM
Here is my "Fine Work" drill... i generally use it for delicate work such as eyeglass and jewelery repair, and occasional dental procedures

Holy cr@p! That chuck isn't really the size of a coke can, is it? It looks close.

Makes my MF and North Bros breast drills look positively dainty.

James Taglienti
01-13-2010, 7:57 AM
Thats what i am missing is a smaller one... the eggbeater that i do have is pretty bad, one step above a handy andy. I have a countersink in it.

Leon Jester
01-14-2010, 8:29 AM
Hi All

I would like to get an egg beater hand drill for woodworking

The vintage ones available have a max chuck opening for 3/16 - 1/4 or 3/8. Sometimes really old one can only accept 1/8 bit shank.

I would like to know what tasks, mostly woodworker do with these type of drills and what chuck size do they have (or wish they had)

thanks

martin

I've got a MF #2 that I use for pilot holes and dowel holes, it'll take up to a 3/8 bit. From experience, I suggest paying the price for Hanson jobbers drills, the el-cheapo ones break.

I also use it around the house, it beats extension cords all to pieces and I can put several bits in the handle.

My brace is frequently used with a #2 Robertson bit, I also have adaptors for my 3/8 drive speed handle socket that I use to drive screws.

Dan Andrews
01-23-2010, 4:01 PM
My users are: Mohawk-Shelburne 1/4" chuck, for pilot holes
Millers Falls #2, 3/8 chuck, for holes up to about 1/4"
North Brothers "Yankee" breast drill #1550, 1/2" chuck for larger holes and anything particularly tough going.
Stanley 923 brace for augar bits and driving screws.
(MF #38 is an excellent substitute for the MF #2 and can be purchased for a LOT less $)

guy shiloh
03-16-2013, 4:14 PM
Need a chuck to fit this 257167257168 5/16in I believe.Any one know where I can buy one? the thread size is 5/16

John Gornall
03-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Everyday drill is a Stanley 610 - 1/4 chuck, 11 inches long - enclosed gears. From the 50's - a precise, elegant drill.

Found a North Bros 1530 at the restore last week. Cute little guy wth 5 functions - ratchet either way but the interesting function is the last one - which ever way you crank it still turns right hand. Used by metal workers in close quarters to drill or drive screws. A little rough but should clean up well. From about 1915.

guy shiloh
03-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Have a picture of the North Bros 1530?I never heard of that,sounds interesting.Where are you?I am in bellingham wa

John Gornall
03-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Just google "North Bros 1530" you'll find lots - I'm about 200 miles north of you.

Jim Belair
03-17-2013, 7:36 AM
Need a chuck to fit this 5/16in I believe.Any one know where I can buy one? the thread size is 5/16

Guy, you might want to start a new thread with this question. It's sort of buried in this old thread of show and tell.

guy shiloh
03-17-2013, 1:40 PM
Thanks ,Jim

Jim Stewart
03-17-2013, 2:08 PM
I use my Miller Falls #2 for making attachment holes for pulls, starting nails in drawer bottoms and lots of other stuff. I first started using the drill when I built a muzzle-loader. I find the hand drill is slow enough to prevent mistakes, and helps accuracy. It really just as fast as other methods in the end. Plus there is that wonderful, therapeutic, quite, aura of using hand tools.

guy shiloh
03-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Found one!