PDA

View Full Version : Router and Circular Saw needed

Jim Fancher
10-16-2004, 5:57 PM
My project this weekend has been research on a couple of new tools. I need a router and circular saw.

The router will have to do double duty between table mount and handheld. I have an old (40+ years old) that will be retired.

The circular saw is much new. I think it's only 35 years old. Certainly there have been improvements since then. :D

Anyway, I don't want to break the bank on either tool, but I do want to invest in some good equipment that will last.

Any suggestions?

Charles McKinley
10-16-2004, 7:48 PM
Hi Jim,

I would suggest one of the kits for the router. Mount the fixed base to the table and use the plunge base for the hand held use.

I like my Milwauke and Makita saws and have heard good things about the Dewalt and Porter Cable.

Happy hunting.

Jim Becker
10-16-2004, 7:57 PM
I would suggest one of the kits for the router. Exactly what I was going to recommend. The kits offer the best value and to be more specific, choose one of the mid-range 12 amp kits that have electronic variable speed and soft-start. You need the VS for table use no question. Dewalt's DW618 kit and PC's 890 kit are kinda the leaders of the pack right now, but Makita and Bosch also have good selections. (Review of the Dewalt on my site in case you want to read about it)

I can't help on the circular saw...my "framing" saw is a circa 1979 B&D and my shop saw is Festool, which I highly recommend, but it may not be what you had in mind. PC and Milw. get good comments, however.

Steve Clardy
10-16-2004, 8:01 PM
Well hey. I am a Porter Cable fan, so that's what I recommend. Good tools.

Steve

Frank Pellow
10-16-2004, 8:12 PM
I don't know what you mean by "break the bank" but, if you appreciate good quality tools that will last, buy Festool.

When you first purchase the ATF 55 E circular saw, you might think that you are breaking the bank. I know that I thought so when I bought mine. But, I have thanked myself every time that I use the saw that I stretched my budget and acquired it.

I don't yet own a Festool router but I plan to. The only thing I am trying to decide is whether to buy the OF 1000 E now or wait until the 1400 becomes available some time next year.

For these and other Festool tools, look at http://festool.safeshopper.com/.

By the way, I am not affiliated with Festool or with Bob marino in any way. I am just a happy customer spreading the word.

Jim Fancher
10-16-2004, 10:19 PM
I was originally looking at the PC 7518. Major overkill for me. I can't imagine fighting that 18lb beast all day freehand. I'm a wuss. Plus, the 7518 is only a fixed base.

Jim, I think you nailed it with the PC 890 series. After reading your post I started looking at that model. NICE! You can even adjust the height above the table. Very cool. I think I might pick up the 895PK kit. Thanks for the tip!

The Festool stuff seem to be very nice. The low end router is in my budget, but I think the 890 is what I'm looking for.

That Festool saw is WAY out of my league. :D I'd like to find something in the sub $150 range.

Jim Becker
10-16-2004, 10:23 PM
The Festool stuff seem to be very nice. The low end router is in my budget, but I think the 890 is what I'm looking for.
The OF 1010 EQ isn't really a good choice for table use...it shines as a hand-held router, but only accomodates 6mm, 8mm and 1/4" shank cutters. The 890 is a better choice for the things you detailed in your original post since you need both hand-held and table use. BTW, the PC7518 really isn't a good choice for any hand-held work for woodworking--way too heavy, although the folks that did our soapstone countertops used four of them plus a 7539 plunger and a PC worm-drive circ-saw to do the final fabrication...out in the driveway.

Jim Fancher
10-16-2004, 10:38 PM
Another check in the "plus" column for PC ... $50 rebate on $300 of PC stuff. Perfect timing!

Any idea who has the best deals on PC tools, or does everyone have pretty much the same prices?

Kelly C. Hanna
10-16-2004, 11:28 PM
Check your Home Depot for the PC left and or right blade saws...they usualy sold for $118, but I saw the other day that they are being closed out for $79 (either blade orientation). That may be just at our store. They also had the PC 3.25hp router for $200 even (down from $288). Not sure if that was the VS model or not.

Roger Barga
10-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Hi Jim,

It has been a few weeks now but our local Lowes was clearing out the Makita RF1101 router kit (with both a fixed and plunge base) from their inventory at $125. The Makita RF1101 has a 2 1/4 Hp variable speed motor, will accept both 1/4" & 1/2" bits, has soft start, and is one of the quietest (and lightest) of the routers that I own.

Roger

Jim Fancher
10-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Check your Home Depot for the PC left and or right blade saws...they usualy sold for $118, but I saw the other day that they are being closed out for $79 (either blade orientation). That may be just at our store. They also had the PC 3.25hp router for $200 even (down from $288). Not sure if that was the VS model or not.
Thanks Kelly, but no such luck here in Houston. I checked two stores. No Besseys there either. :rolleyes:

Kelly C. Hanna
10-17-2004, 10:39 AM
OK, The Home Depot Supply here in Mesquite has both of them. I wonder if they'll transfer them to your store? Sure wouldn't hurt to ask. I know several people got the $229 Delta 580 planer deal that way from Lowe's

James Carmichael
10-17-2004, 1:00 PM
Hi Jim,

It has been a few weeks now but our local Lowes was clearing out the Makita RF1101 router kit (with both a fixed and plunge base) from their inventory at $125. The Makita RF1101 has a 2 1/4 Hp variable speed motor, will accept both 1/4" & 1/2" bits, has soft start, and is one of the quietest (and lightest) of the routers that I own.

Roger

I have the 1101 kit also and love it except for the power switch placement when using handheld.

The Novemeber issue of Wood magazine has a review of the 12-13 amp dual base router kits. The bosch 1617evspk came out on top (Sears sells the same kit as the Craftsman 26620, different color is all). Skill 1825 came out as top value at $100.

Any of the Bosch, Makita or Porter Cable kits in this power range should do whatever you need, they can't be beaten for versatility.

Ellen Benkin
10-17-2004, 1:57 PM
Whichever router you choose, be sure it has "soft" start and variable speed as those features really make a difference. Being able to adjust the height from above the table is another neat feature, as is being able to "lock" the spindle and use only one wrench while changing bits.

Jerry Olexa
10-17-2004, 9:38 PM
Agree w comments on router kit and be sure to get var speed and soft start and highest HP you can afford. I favor Porter Cable in the saw . They have new model just introduced w Tooless blade change (about $120) and its 15amp.

Dino Makropoulos
10-17-2004, 11:22 PM
My project this weekend has been research on a couple of new tools. I need a router and circular saw.

The router will have to do double duty between table mount and handheld. I have an old (40+ years old) that will be retired.

The circular saw is much new. I think it's only 35 years old. Certainly there have been improvements since then. :D

Anyway, I don't want to break the bank on either tool, but I do want to invest in some good equipment that will last.

Any suggestions?
I will look for three features on the circular saw.
Electric brake, dust port and right blade. (if you're right handed)
YCF Dino

Kent Cori
10-18-2004, 10:58 AM
I have a Bosch 1617EVSPK router combo and a PC 324 MAG left-blade circular saw. I highly recommend both.

I've had the Bosch router for over two years with nothing but great performance. I bought a supplemental base designed for a router table and use it there as well as for hand work. This approach give a lot of bang for your buck.

The PC circular saw is only about a month old and replaced a 20+ year old right-blade Skilsaw. After using the left blade configuration, I'll never go back to the right blade version.

Jim Fancher
10-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the router advice. I just ordered the PC 895PK (890 series with plunge and fixed bases and adjusting wrench) from Coastal Tools for $236.50 shipped to my door. They have an instant $40 off the kit on their site.

Now I just have to find another tool to bring it up over $300 so I can get that $50 rebate. :D