PDA

View Full Version : Finewoodworking online subscription question, please.

David Cramer
01-11-2010, 6:35 AM
For those of you who have an online subscription, I have an easy computer question. I know that you can download articles and then make copies, but can you download and make copies of something that is on video? Like Garrett Hack has a video up on making a cabinet. I assume it's always going to be on the site, meaning once the site puts it up, they don't take it down, but instead just add to what is there. Am I wrong about that, as well as being able to make copies for viewing on DVD player. Thanks!

David

mike holden
01-11-2010, 8:08 AM
David,
Short answer is no.
Longer answer is yes, but only through some serious hacking. Anything you can see on your computer can be saved as an electronic file, the only question is how.
Since doing this is, on the face of it, illegal; or at best a grey area - I will leave it to you to find the methods, they are out there on the internet - but this is not a recommendation nor a direction.
Mike

Prashun Patel
01-11-2010, 9:08 AM
I'm sure it's an infringement of copyright laws, but there do exist programs that will capture streaming content to your computer - be it video or audio.

David Cramer
01-11-2010, 9:10 AM
Thanks Mike! Honestly, I had no idea. My perspective was that you were "paying for" the online info and anything that was on it was yours to copy, like a magazine article.

Call me dumb, but I seriously thought that it was fine & good as long as you didn't distribute and sell what you made copies of. Thanks for your take on the subject.

David

glenn bradley
01-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Software is available for capture and I also believe (which doesn't mean I am right) that taking a copy for your own use is akin to grabbing a PDF of an article for future reference and is not a violation. An email to FWW would certainly clear this up if you wanted to do that.

Jerome Hanby
01-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Google wmcapture. That's what I use to grab online streaming content. I have no clue as to the legal technicalities (I suspect that they vary widely depending on your state), but since the web is so volatile, I can't see how you can be faulted for saving things for your own personal use.