PDA

View Full Version : New Tube

Russ Shoe
01-11-2010, 4:58 AM
Well....after all is said and done, going to have to replace our tube in our Epilog Radius. Its older but in new shape. The tube has never been replaced, 1999. Still works, just getting weaker and weaker, and shutting down.

So, we have 3 different places to get a tube,(or repaired) and 3 different prices, 3200.00, 2000.00, or 1300.00 Epilog, Synrad, or a place called Photovaclaser, respectively. Quite a price difference, of course price isnt everything, how do we choose?

Any insights?

thanks all
russ

Darren Null
01-11-2010, 6:38 AM
I believe you can get your existing tube regassed for just a shade north of $1000. Of the 3 options, Epilog sound like they're taking the mickey a bit; I'd go with Synrad myself; dunno about the 3rd lot.
EDIT: You didn't specify which outfit was offering which option. I'm guessing new unit, plus 2 refurbished ones.

Peck Sidara
01-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Russ,

You might also want to compare service & turn around time when comparing pricing. By going with the Epilog replacement cost, you have a replacement in hand and a 6 month Epilog backed warranty. The main variable is very little down time.

You can save some money (don't get me wrong, a significant amount) by going directly thru Synrad or option 3, but what is their turn around time?
What is their warranty? If by chance it doesn't fix the problem, do they offer a partial/full credit?

So the question is, can you afford the downtime? Does option 2 or 3 provide similar warranty, turn around time and is the money saved worth the difference?

Stephen Beckham
01-11-2010, 1:07 PM
Russ,

Also - you can save a bit with Epilog if you send your tube in and wait for the return. Versus having them ship you a good one then returning yours. You'll have to pay a 'core' charge if they ship first. My quote was slightly lower when I ship first plus I didn't have to pay the 'core' charge.

Mine's getting weaker as well, but I'm holding out till I don't have anymore adjustment to work in...

Bill Cunningham
01-12-2010, 8:35 PM
Epilog never charged me a 'core' charge.. I assume they just hold the creditcard number handy until you ship the old one back. If it's not back with-in a reasonable amount of time, I assume they put the core charge on your card..