PDA

View Full Version : buncha stoppers

Terry Achey
01-10-2010, 9:39 PM
After working on flat work projects for too many weeks, I finally got back to the lathe and "tuned" my skills again by turning a bunch of bottlestoppers. :) Various woods all with Danish Oil, buffed and R-wax finish except for the Cocobola pieces which I just buffed and R-waxed.

This little proejct cost me 6 stitches in my thumb while cutting a small block of spalted maple on the bandsaw .... but that's another story. :o Operator error....totally avoidable accident. A real personal reminder for me to practice safety at ALL times, respect every tool, and always stay in the moment!

Terry

Michael Short
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
What a great bunch of stoppers. I like your variety in design and color choices.

David E Keller
01-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Nice work on the stoppers... Glad you're OK with just a few stitches.

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Nice work Terry! Really like the variety of woods and designs!

Sorry to hear about your thumb! Hope it heals quickly and totally!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Terry.....fantastic variety of stoppers!

Hope the thumb heals quickly.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Terry that is a great looking bunch of stoppers. Well done.

Baxter Smith
01-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Each one is very pretty! I need to try some of those. Guess you were lucky it wasn't worse. I was thinking about doing the same thing when I was cutting something out on the bandsaw today. I will try to remember you the next time I cut out something. Take care.

Terry Achey
01-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I really enjoyed turning them, and the thumb is healing well. Should get the stitches out tomorrow or Tuesday.

First time I turned Cocobola. Really is pleasant to turn and buffs up nicely.

Terry

John Keeton
01-11-2010, 6:43 AM
Terry, great work on these. Haven't done any stoppers yet, but this gave me some neat ideas!

Couple of questions -

How did you do the caps of different woods, and where did the medallions come from?

On the inlay, did you use the InLace product?

Greg Just
01-11-2010, 6:54 AM
Terry:

Nice batch of stoppers - quite a variety - What do you do with them?