PDA

View Full Version : #7 Oak Bowl - last one on the ol' HF 34706!!

John Keeton
01-10-2010, 8:53 PM
I have run short on dry wood, and have only 2 or 3 of the larger pieces of the wood sent to me by "the gang." I don't yet want to get into that wood, so I have been scrounging in the barn. Plenty of 4/4 stuff, but flatworkers don't have much in the way thick wood!!

My wife mentioned that we had some struts left from the raising of our red oak timberframe home 5 years ago, and said it would be neat to have a bowl from one of those.

The framers cut extras of all the different sizes "just in case", but didn't need any of them. They left them with us. Some of them are close to 8' long, and about 9.5" wide at the ends.
I cut the wide ends from one of them, but the timber was heavily checked inside. On the plus side, it was 7% MC!! The timberframe is rustic, so only fitting that the bowl be rustic!!;)
I tried a little different rim detail.
Lots of BIG checks, but nothing some quick epoxy won't plug up. Not pretty, but it got the job done.
Turning the oak surprised me - actually very nice to turn. And, on the parts that weren't checked - it had a nice color and finished out well.

This is the last production from the ol' HF 34706 starter lathe!!:( But, the new Delta VS is on its way!!:D

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2010, 9:02 PM
John - love the open Oak framework! How cool is that!

Very nice looking bowl! Good form, color and an interesting rim variation! Should you want to try some more of this in the future - you should give Curt Fuller's liming method a try. Would look great with the Oak!

Looking forward to seeing your first turning off the new lathe!

David Christopher
01-10-2010, 9:06 PM
John, the oak bowl looks nice and probley fitting to go in your home. so its goodby to the ol HF, when is the new delta going to be delivered ? also sounds like you need to get some blanks stored up cause youre going threw them pretty quick

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2010, 9:30 PM
John,

You really are a naturally talented turner! Very nicely done. I really like the overall form. The rim treatment is great!

Leo Van Der Loo
01-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Nice bowl John :cool:, Oak is a bit of a favorite wood of mine, it can split easily as you have found, though it doesn't look that bad I think :D.
Trying to see the end grain rays of the Oak, which are one of the reasons I do like Oak, and it seems like you had some issues with the endgrain ??, I was just wondering about it :confused:

Baxter Smith
01-10-2010, 10:12 PM
I complement your wife on a great idea and you executed it well! I have been enamored with timberframes all my life. Used to love to wander through both my grandparents barns and gaze upwards!
You did a great job with the oak. I tried some spindle things once but it was rough! My sharpening skills were probably lacking(among other things)!:)
I get lots of ideas by looking at other peoples posts so... Iv'e got a couple of 2' long 8x8 oak pieces that I cut off from some connecting girts in 1984. They have been sitting since then with no purpose(I just could never bear the thought of adding them to the firewood pile).
Not now, but someday, I will follow your lead! Thank your wife for me!;)

Richard Madison
01-10-2010, 10:14 PM
And John, if you have lots of 4/4 lumber on hand maybe it's time to try some segmenting.

David E Keller
01-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Nice bowl. The picture of the timber framing in the house is even nicer I must admit. Congrats on the new addition you are expecting.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2010, 10:57 PM
John that is one pretty bowl. I like the rim treatment on it.

gary Zimmel
01-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Another nice looking bowl John. The rim treatment adds that little extra.
And a little sentimental coming from the framing of your home.
Last one before your new toy arrives?
If it's a day or two you may be able to squeak out one or two more.

I understand the running low on the turning blanks.
It's pretty bad when us flatworkers start cutting up things.
There was some 8/4 QSWO in my shop that is now little shallow bowls....

charlie knighton
01-11-2010, 4:37 AM
John, i enjoy turning oak, if you want to turn oak without the checks pm me

this is Bay of Fundy, will be shown @ Florida Woodturners Symposium next weekend

Jeff Nicol
01-11-2010, 5:32 AM
John, As you know wood is my thing and I love red oak for the smell, grain and it keeps my shop nice and toasty!

I as others love your timber frame home!! The bowl will fit perfectly in it surroundings. Like the others have said the rim is very nice! Keep us all wondering what is next!

Jeff

John Keeton
01-11-2010, 7:28 AM
Thanks for all the comments - on the bowl and on the timberframe. We love our home, and it provides a sense of nature and tranquility that is hard to describe. As Baxter said, even after living in it for 5 years, we still find ourselves just looking up at the timbers. The peak is 25', and the lighting and shadows produce a unique art all on its own.

The rim detail on this bowl was a new experience for me. Normal spindle cuts don't seem to work on facegrain. I will need to practice some more of those cuts. Gary Zimmel sent me a pic of a platter he saw that had a lot of facegrain detail - it was neat looking, and I want to try that at some point.

John, i enjoy turning oak, if you want to turn oak without the checks pm me

this is Bay of Fundy, will be shown @ Florida Woodturners Symposium next weekendBeautiful HF, Charlie. PM sent!!!!!!

Should you want to try some more of this in the future - you should give Curt Fuller's liming method a try. Would look great with the Oak!

Looking forward to seeing your first turning off the new lathe!Steve, I will research that and may try it on the next oak turning. I can get a lot of smaller stuff from these struts, but I am concerned about the checking. I guess I will just have to cut into them and see!

Nice bowl John :cool:, Oak is a bit of a favorite wood of mine, it can split easily as you have found, though it doesn't look that bad I think :D.
Trying to see the end grain rays of the Oak, which are one of the reasons I do like Oak, and it seems like you had some issues with the endgrain ??, I was just wondering about it :confused:Leo, all of the checking was in the endgrain as one would expect. This cut was the end off the strut, which had been air drying with no Anchorseal or anything on it. Had I known 5 years ago that I would have wanted to use these for turning, it would have been smart to seal them!! Hindsight - always 20/20!!;)

Richard, segmenting is a ways down the road for me, I believe. No doubt a good way to use up a bunch of scrap, and it looks like fun. Not sure I have the patience, though. I don't think I have ever finished a jigsaw puzzle in my entire existence on this earth!!:D

Baxter, go for it on the oak!! I think you will enjoy working with it now with your increased skill level.

MIKE E BEE
01-11-2010, 7:31 AM
Nice bowl John. I also like the rim work. Well done.

Jerry Rhoads
01-11-2010, 9:13 AM
Nice bowl and house John
Now that you know about this wood, don't start pulling struts from the house when you need dry wood.

Jerry

Rob Cunningham
01-11-2010, 9:28 AM
Another good looking bowl John. The rim treatment adds a nice touch.

Jamie Straw
01-11-2010, 10:39 AM
John, I really like the way you shaped the rim. Cool!

Matt Ranum
01-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Another nice bowl but I LOVE what I see of your house! Just love the timber frame designs.

The ole HF lathe didn't last too long for you :p I bet your gonna enjoy your upgrade, looking forward to a post on comparisons. Kinda like comparing a Hummer to a Yugo I suppose.:p

Brian Effinger
01-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Nice bowl. I really like the rim - a successful experiment. I even like the checking since it does fit with your timber frame home.

Don't say this will be the last one on the HF. I'm sure you'll be itching to turn something before the Delta arrives. :)

Brian

David Hostetler
01-11-2010, 2:24 PM
Nice looking bowl...

Congrats on the new lathe to boot! Hopefully you can find a new, loving home for that 34706. There's plenty of guys and gals out there wanting to get into turning, and that is a great lathe to get going with... I am a LONG way before I outgrow mine...

Baxter Smith
01-11-2010, 7:58 PM
John, thanks for the encouragement but I really had wanted to get all this fruitwood turned or at least roughed out first. But the seed has been planted - and you know how that goes!;)