PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Drag For Vinyl Cutter

sal shepherd
01-10-2010, 7:09 PM
In my late nite searching on E bay their was a ad for a diamond drag bit for vinyl cutter. They showed a anodized alum. in red with a us cutter engraving a plaque plate. My delima is I can't find that ad again.Has anyone else seen this?

Kenneth Hertzog
01-10-2010, 7:35 PM
Sal

2linc dot com

may have what you are looking for

ken

Joe Pelonio
01-10-2010, 8:25 PM
I have seen that too, as I recall it was a spring-loaded diamond drag blade made to fit a plotter. Typically they are used on rotary engravers but have become fairly popular for CNC.

Cunning idea, but I have a couple of cautions, if you do find it. I have used some rigid materials on my vinyl plotters, cutting poster board, for example, and polystyrene sheet for stencils. The grit wheels that move the material can also mar it, and do not hold as precisely against materials that are rigid and firm such as aluminum. If you have ever tried cutting (or pen plotting) less than 1/4" vinyl letters you will know that the small the copy the more important the precision is.

If the plotter is on warranty, a non-standard use like this could invalidate it.

Do keep us posted though if you find it and try it!

Tony Lenkic
01-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Sal,

Here is a ebay link to Montreal based distributor.

AL Ursich
01-10-2010, 10:26 PM
That is an interesting concept I had never thought of....

Looks like it uses a carrier sheet.... With my FC7000 you could print a carrier sheet with defined areas on it with registration marks in Corel. Then the future artwork or text could just be placed in the defined area and away you go.... I would guess you would also fashion in-feed and out-feed trays....

Interesting.... If I wanted to do something bigger than my Star 912....

Thanks,

AL

sal shepherd
01-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the info. I am currently pleading my case for a vinyl cutter. And of course the multi function of the unit. If I was thinking of selling window tint what size cutter would be needed?

sal shepherd
01-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Kenneth, Thanks that was the site I was directed to.

Mark Winlund
01-11-2010, 11:18 AM
In my late nite searching on E bay their was a ad for a diamond drag bit for vinyl cutter. They showed a anodized alum. in red with a us cutter engraving a plaque plate. My delima is I can't find that ad again.Has anyone else seen this?

Diamond drag actually requires a lot of force to accomplish. Slicing through vinyl is much easier... I suspect that most vinyl cutters do not have the "oomph" to do it well. As has been mentioned here, engraving small letters also requires quite high resolution.

I have seen CNC mills do a creditable job this way, but because of the mass of the machinery, are quite slow.

Buy yourself an engraver. (the other kind, not a laser!)

Mark

Tony Lenkic
01-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Buy yourself an engraver. (the other kind, not a laser!)

Mark

+1 - right tool for the job.

AL Ursich
01-11-2010, 8:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I am currently pleading my case for a vinyl cutter. And of course the multi function of the unit. If I was thinking of selling window tint what size cutter would be needed?

I have seen it posted many times that a Vinyl Cutter will pay for itself a few times a year.... Between here and Signs 101.

I do Street Signs, only a few so far but it has cut letters and numbers to add value to my other projects. I primarily work in Reflective Vinyl.

I am certified to make Street Signs in PA, some states require certification.

AL

Rodne Gold
01-12-2010, 1:38 AM
Dont plead for a cutter - plead for a pint/cutter , albeit more expensive its a MUCH more formidable machine and can add huge value rather than plain vinyl cut letters - Roland make some VERY good ones.
You can print on banner , vinyl , poyester , thin abs and styrene , cloth , mesh , window blockout , paper, glow in the dark etc and can die cut anything with a carrier.

Dan Hintz
01-12-2010, 7:13 AM
Rodney,

It took me a sec there to figure out you were missing an 'r' in there... you're suggesting a print/cutter, not just a cutter. I was getting ready to Google a new piece of equipment ;)

Mark Winlund
01-12-2010, 2:00 PM
Rodney,

It took me a sec there to figure out you were missing an 'r' in there... you're suggesting a print/cutter, not just a cutter. I was getting ready to Google a new piece of equipment ;)

Whaddaya mean? Whats wrong with a few pints now and then? :D

Mark

Hilton Lister
01-13-2010, 2:09 PM
Yeah Rodney, I would love one, but they cost about 10 times the price you pay for a cheap Vinyl Cutter. That's a lot to get back on your investment, especially for a small business that doesn't have a good market in that area.