PDA

View Full Version : Hackberry wing thing

Joseph M Lary
01-10-2010, 6:05 PM
Here is the hackberry this one had some good spalting on it . turned it last fall just finishing drying and sanding it , needs one more sand and finish. Thanks for looking :)

David E Keller
01-10-2010, 6:12 PM
That's really interesting. That wing looks scary thin. Nice job.

curtis rosche
01-10-2010, 6:12 PM
that looks really cool. i like the curl, and the warping the wings have from the side, they are very thin

Baxter Smith
01-10-2010, 6:21 PM
NE and wings! Never thought of that one. Good Work!

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2010, 6:51 PM
Joseph - looks like you have this wing-thing down pretty good! Looking forward to seeing the finished version!

Dave Halter
01-10-2010, 8:29 PM
That's an interesting design with the wing low on the bowl like that.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2010, 11:04 PM
That is a interesting design. Winged with a NE bowl. That is some good looking wood.

John Keeton
01-11-2010, 6:48 AM
That is a really interesting piece - bet the wings started sounding like a propeller when you were turning and they started to move on you!!:eek:

Haven't tried one of these yet, but they look a lot like a finger guillotine!!

Jeff Nicol
01-11-2010, 7:30 AM
It looks like the bowl is floating on water when I first looked at it! Very thin and cool colors in the Hackberry! I have a 30" across 10' long log I need to cut up, it should have lots of nice stuff in it!

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Rob Cunningham
01-11-2010, 9:30 AM
That's really cool looking. Did you get a lot of flutter/flexing when cutting the wings? Do you sand something like that by hand or while it's spinning on the lathe?:eek:

Joseph M Lary
01-11-2010, 8:12 PM
I start on the bottom and shape the bottom and do the bottom of the wing, put on the tendon. Then i chuck it up turn the inside of the bowl then figure the out side shape to match bottom through the wing . turn it down till the wing is about 1/2 to 5/8 thick, then go out to the end and start taking it down to 3/16 or less about 1/4" at a time. That will keep it form flexing . resharpen the tool about every 5 to 6 cuts, just a touch up , saves on a lot of sanding, a lite shear scrap helps also .i put tape on the tool rest so I know where the end of the wing is.
I will sand the bottom and the inside of bowl on the Lathe , then hand & power sand the wings OFF the lathe .:o