PDA

View Full Version : Not as sharp as I use to be...

Jeffrey Makiel
01-10-2010, 5:37 PM
In fact, I'm not sure if I was ever sharp. But anyway...

I'm building 5 shop cabinets. The carcasses, doors and shelves were drawn on CAD so it was a simple task to just cut the parts to size and assemble.

I finished the second carcass which was to be 28" wide by 30" tall. After I drilled shelf pin holes with a jig on the sides and back panels, I went to install the shelf to how it fit. It didn't. It was off by inches. Then I grabbed the doors, and they too were off.

I sat there wondering if I comingled parts. Nope, they're fine. Then I thought that the CAD drawing let me down. Nope, it's accurate as usual.

I then realized that I had the carcass rotated 90 degrees such that it sat on my bench as 30" wide and 28" tall. That means that I drilled the shelf pin holes on the top and bottom panels! And the back panel has holes that are all horizontal! Boy does it look stupid.

Guess what? It's going on the darn wall anyway! :mad:

-Jeff :)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2010, 6:00 PM
Jeff,

Doing stuff like that keeps me from being too fat headed.

My sympathies! I've been there and earned the t-shirt.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-10-2010, 6:19 PM
Not to worry, Ken. Putty is my buddy.

Dan Forman
01-10-2010, 6:21 PM
Just the sort of thing that I would do. At least it's just cosmetic and you don't have to make new doors and everything.

Dan

Bruce Page
01-10-2010, 7:06 PM
I saw the punch line coming and yep, I could see myself doing exactly the same thing.

Joe Scharle
01-10-2010, 7:12 PM
Never happened to me!
hehehe:D

Van Huskey
01-10-2010, 7:18 PM
I have done similar things in the past, when something is almost square I sometimes loose focus that one side is indeed longer. I was cleaning up my shop the other day and saw two nice panels that looked pretty finished and couldn't figure why they were not used I first thought they were shelves I had made but decided not to use at the last minute but inspecting them showed a rabbit cut on what was obviously the face. How I set that nice figured side down on the router table all the time having to look at the knotted back side and ran it through I will never know, but I do remember now how upset I was when I realized that was the last bit of that beautifully figured wood I had left, my wife rememebers the evening as well, apparently I had a first class meltdown.

Jim Becker
01-10-2010, 8:56 PM
It's a "conversation piece" and...you did that on purpose! ;)

Bruce Wrenn
01-10-2010, 10:02 PM
That is what they make blue painters tape for. Label everything, including top / bottom, along with what cabinet the part goes in. The world's best memory is no better than the world's shortest pencil! Don't worry, the doors will hide your mistake. If anyone should ever ask, just tell them that it is a "universal cabinet." This means that it can be hung either vertical, or horizontal - planned it that way.

Jason Hanko
01-11-2010, 12:48 AM
If anyone should ever ask, just tell them that it is a "universal cabinet." This means that it can be hung either vertical, or horizontal - planned it that way.
Ha, I love how you think. You must be in marketing or sales....
"You know, we usually charge more for the variable gravitational orientation model of cellulose storage cubes, but you look like such a nice young couple..." :cool:

Paul Atkins
01-11-2010, 1:08 PM
I made a bathroom cabinet 6' 0" long that should have been 60" long - it didn't fit very well. Now I never use foot/inches, just inches. (I don't understand the window - door measurements used in building - seems dumb - just use inches.)

Jeffrey Makiel
01-11-2010, 1:19 PM
I made a bathroom cabinet 6' 0" long that should have been 60" long - it didn't fit very well. Now I never use foot/inches, just inches. (I don't understand the window - door measurements used in building - seems dumb - just use inches.)

Man...that's gotta hurt. I'd would have to call my neighbor up to review the cuss words I used as to be sure I didn't miss any.

Jerome Hanby
01-11-2010, 2:15 PM
I just pulled a similar one. Had a built in set of shelves, two columns. So shelf pin holes were all the through on the middle section (which was a bit shorter than the two end pieces) and just deep enough on the two outside edges. Of course I grabbed the wrong one and drilled through on one of the side pieces. Side pieces are inside the wall, so I mounted it anyway :D.

Heath Markovetz
01-11-2010, 2:37 PM

Welcome to the metric system, my friend.

One unit, just multiples of said unit.

:)

Rod Sheridan
01-11-2010, 3:59 PM
I switched to metric and now make far fewer computational/measurement errors no.

Of course that didn't prevent me from making two left gables.......:o

Regards, Rod.

Don Morris
01-11-2010, 4:26 PM
At my age I've learned to say I don't have failures, just varying degrees of success. My 8 yr old grandson was over for a sleepover while his parents had a night out. We built an angel and he painted her. He messed while painting and got so frustrated he started to cry. I said Whoa, part of every project is you have to figure you need to how to correct for the errors your going to make. I took him over to the eliptical top to a cabinet I'm making. The front looks great. I showed him the back. See that piece of different looking wood? I asked him. 'Yes' he said. That doesn't belong there because I messed up. But the front looks good, doesn't it? We just have to figure out how to re-paint the angel and make her look good. His newly re-painted angel made one 8 yr old very happy and was another example of a varying degree of success.

Steve Clardy
01-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Yep. I have numerous misfits hanging in my shop, all that were supposed to go into kitchens. :o

Lee Schierer
01-12-2010, 12:44 PM
At least the shelf was level...

Bill Shawver
01-12-2010, 1:03 PM
Welcome to the metric system, my friend.

One unit, just multiples of said unit.

:)

The same thing happenened to some civil engineers/contractors which resulted in a new stoplight being installed in the #1 lane while a local road was being widened. (It wasn't real obvious at first as there were no curbs, or paving) Story was there was a mixup in units...feet were confused with meters. Some red faces and finger pointing over that one.:o

Randall Clark
01-12-2010, 1:31 PM
Got the ribs ready. Went out into the Michigan tundra and turned my gas grill on. Went inside to let it heat up and me, too. Came back out with the ribs, opened up the lid, . . . . . . all of my BBQ utencils were in the grill . . . on fire. D . . U . . .M . . . dum! (I know it's spelled dumb.)

Ken Shoemaker
01-12-2010, 2:14 PM
It's funny this thread came up...

Last week my wife came home as I was finished with shop cleaning. I found all the "brain farts" I accumilated since last cleaning and piled them in the burn pile.

WIFE: What ya' burning all your wood for???

WOOD BUTCHER: These are "brain farts".

WIFE: Your gettin' older, Honey.

WOOD BUTCHER (under breath): !@#$%^&*() :mad: