PDA

View Full Version : 18th Century Style Walnut Secretary

Gene DiNardo
01-10-2010, 5:20 PM
http://http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/PopaGeno/Midges%2018th%20Century%20Walnut%20Secretary/I told my wife that I would make her whatever she wanted.
She said, OK. As if prepared for my offer she went to my library and returned with
A large book and said “I want a Secretary like the ones in this book only not as fancy”.
(I assumed she meant the ornate carving typically associated with Chippendale)
This was fine with me since my carving ability is mediocre at best.
The book was the Winterthur collection of American Furniture of the Queen Ann and Chippendale Period.
Well, I did say whatever she wanted. Soo… This is what I presented her with this year for Christmas.
I don’t work from plans, I work from photos, so I took elements from various pieces and incorporated them into my own version of a Period Style piece. You may recognize some of the elements, the gallery is from Lonnie Byrd’s Pa. Secretary, the finials are Orion’s, etc., etc.
(I hope that is not unethical in any way).
I mill most of my own timber with an Alaskan Mill so I have a pretty good stash of
air dried Walnut on hand, which happens to be my favorite domestic wood to work with.
I know many of you also love walnut. The only secondary wood is Spanish Cedar, which
I almost always use for the drawer bottoms.
I use machines to dimension my stock but all joinery is done with hand tools, with the exception of the long sliding dovetails for which I used a router. The moldings and beads are Carved and scraped, the hardware is from Horton Brass, the finish is shellac;Bysaki and Kumsi buttons followed by de-waxed blonde French/Italian Polish.
I like to think I’m a little better at wood butchery than phartogrophy so please excuse the pic quality.
I want to include some close-ups of the gallery details so I will do two posts.
There is also a slideshow in photobucket and I will attempt to include a link.
While this seems like a complicated project it really is just a collection of several small projects and quite doable by most of the people on here. I have documented the build process to some extent and if there is some interest I will do a build post on the projects area.
Thanks for looking,
Gene
(http://http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/PopaGeno/Midges%2018th%20Century%20Walnut%20Secretary/)

Robert Maloney
01-10-2010, 5:26 PM
Beautiful work! Maybe one day I can build one that nice

Dan Forman
01-10-2010, 5:28 PM
Looks like I get to go first, HOLY SMOKES!!! That is awe inspiring. I would guess the Mrs. liked it.

Dan

Gene DiNardo
01-10-2010, 5:32 PM
Here are some of the Gallery details.
There are several "Secrete Compartments"
Aside from the Prospect Box, the document drawers have a sliding back.
The Fan panels are removable.
The boxes under the finial urns are hollow and the top lifts off.
Thanks for looking,
Gene

Mike Henderson
01-10-2010, 5:51 PM
That is an amazing piece of work - and a lot of work. I'll bet it took you a while to build that.

Congratulations!

Mike

Don L Johnson
01-10-2010, 6:06 PM
Gene,

Absolutely beautiful and befitting of a museum! I like Lonnie Bird's replications as well. I'm about to start a corner cabinet that he built...albeit nothing as complicated as your piece. Since you offered, I would really enjoy a build process from start to finish. It appears you build by pictures like great musicians play by ear, so I guess it would be misplaced to think you put something like that in a Sketchup model? At any rate, thanks for sharing.

Don

C Scott McDonald
01-10-2010, 6:12 PM
Love the candle stick holders built into the molding.

Well done, Sir!

Baxter Smith
01-10-2010, 6:17 PM
Wow! If thats doable by most of the people on here, I'm not one of the "most"!

Joe Leigh
01-10-2010, 8:17 PM
Awesome.
Looks identical to the Curly Maple one posted last week.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-10-2010, 9:05 PM
Awesome.
Looks identical to the Curly Maple one posted last week.

Nah, there are lots of differences.

Beautiful work, Gene! I love that style.

Joe Scharle
01-10-2010, 9:11 PM
Very, very nice!

Roy Wall
01-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Gene --

Fantastic piece of Furniture....your skills are Excellent. Just beautiful.......

mreza Salav
01-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Wow! that must have been one heck of a job!
Well done sir, very well done!

Philip Duffy
01-11-2010, 5:01 AM
Unreal achievement! Congratulations on contributing to the museum quality gallery. Phil

Van Huskey
01-11-2010, 5:11 AM
That is the defiition of "heirloom". So what did she say? Or could she say anything. Had she watched the progress or was it a total surprise?

Jeffrey Makiel
01-11-2010, 7:29 AM
Absolutely beautiful!
-Jeff :)

Dave Rathert
01-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I couldn’t make something like that in a million years. The talent level of some of the members of this forum boggles my mind. Thanks for posting.

-D

Brent Ring
01-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Very Impressive - It is awesome to have such artisans here!

Horton Brasses
01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Great job! I am sure she is delighted. That is no easy task.

John Keeton
01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Phenomenal, absolutely phenomenal!! And, yes, a build thread would be a hit!

Jerry White
01-11-2010, 11:43 AM
A real work of art! Thanks for sharing.

Bruce Page
01-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Let's see...nobody has used Stunning yet!

Richard Ray
01-11-2010, 2:12 PM
Yeah, but can you build a step stool or toy box?