PDA

View Full Version : What have I got?

Mark Stutz
01-10-2010, 5:13 PM
I have felt the tug of this forum for quite a while, and let myself look at the tutorials that Mike had done. Mike, shame on you:D, now I've got the urge to try a ball and claw foot, though obviously will need some practice going thru the tutorials.
But I'm rambling. I recently picked up a couple of box lots of chisels at an auction. I was after 2 nice Buck Bros paring chisels and some mortice chisels, and these came in the mix. I'm not exactly sure what all I have. I suspect the 2 on the left may be turning gouges. The two on the right are incannel gouges. I don't know if the center ones are carving tools or more for general woodworking.

L to R, Buck Bros, an oval of lettering with 1882 in the center but I can't make out the lettering, W. Butcker, unknown, unknown, Buck Bros. Butcher, Butcher, Butcher and unknown, with the incannels being Eagle Brand? and unknown(tang type).

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Jim Koepke
01-10-2010, 5:54 PM
Looks like a pile of junk to me.

Maybe you should send them my way for a proper disposal.:rolleyes:

jim

John Timberlake
01-10-2010, 10:44 PM
They actually look like chisel that were used by carpenters, back when they did more detailed finishing work. Look too heavy to be normal carving tools.

Mark Stutz
01-10-2010, 11:07 PM
John,
That's kinda what I thought, except for the third fourth and fifth from the right...the very narrow ones. Not sure what application even a finish carpenter would have for something that small.

Mark

Matt Evans
01-11-2010, 12:47 AM
John,
That's kinda what I thought, except for the third fourth and fifth from the right...the very narrow ones. Not sure what application even a finish carpenter would have for something that small.

Mark

I would agree with the 4th and 5th, but not sure on the 3rd. The 4th looks thick enough to be a turning tool, but the 3rd may be a detail carving chisel.

You would be amazed at how small a chisel finish carpenters need on occasion. A full carving set comes in really handy on job sites. Otherwise, it is back to the old standby of grinding something down to the profile you need, and it never quite works out as well.

All in all I would say you have some decent gouges, and you should be set to do some carving! I would recommend getting a few good tool rolls to protect the edges. (HF has their leather rolls on clearance for $5.50 or so right now)

mike holden
01-11-2010, 8:26 AM
Mark,
Just to push you a bit further down the slope, some instructions and the layout for a Philadelphia Claw and Ball foot.

In the pic, mine is the unfinished foot, the finished one is Phil Lowes.

Mark Stutz
01-11-2010, 8:47 PM
All in all I would say you have some decent gouges, and you should be set to do some carving! I would recommend getting a few good tool rolls to protect the edges. (HF has their leather rolls on clearance for $5.50 or so right now)

Good idea, except none of these have anything that even resembles an "edge":D, but I figured if nothing else, I wouldn't worry about messing anything up learning to sharpen!

Mike,
I don't need any help;):D...there's enough grease left over from my slide down the handtool slope:D Don't tell Phil, but I like the one on the left better.;):cool:

Mark

Matt Evans
01-11-2010, 9:18 PM
Good idea, except none of these have anything that even resembles an "edge":D, but I figured if nothing else, I wouldn't worry about messing anything up learning to sharpen!

True, but just think, after the week or so of sharpening "practice, and you finally get 'em all where you want 'em, you won't have to worry about going through it again! Well, not until you use them in Tasmanian Oak. . .

The slippery slope is addictive. Not just the hand tools, but the different types, styles, etc. Kind of like Luge. You have so much fun getting to the bottom at breakneck speed that you just have to get back up there and do it again!

Mark Stutz
01-11-2010, 9:55 PM
True, but just think, after the week or so of sharpening "practice, and you finally get 'em all where you want 'em, you won't have to worry about going through it again! Well, not until you use them in Tasmanian Oak. . .

The slippery slope is addictive. Not just the hand tools, but the different types, styles, etc. Kind of like Luge. You have so much fun getting to the bottom at breakneck speed that you just have to get back up there and do it again!

Yeah, I kinda look at this as a different run:eek::D...it starts with planes, and moves on...saws, marking gauges, drills, braces, and we won't even mention chisels:D. Some how I figured carving would be the same.

Mark

Philip Allin
01-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Some have commented that these tools seem too heavy for carving. Below is a photo I took this past year at a cathedral in Europe. This was a display of the tools used by the master carver who had done the pulpit and statuary in the church:

Mark Yundt
01-13-2010, 3:05 PM
There is a particular name for these types of chisels but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.Regardless , I too have quite a few of them and wasn't sure what to do with them as they aren't particularly useful to my carvings. So,,since I had some decent steel in them that wasn't doing me any good, I've been turning them into ones I can use. I needed to reach a difficult spot, could have worked at it with some of my others. But deciding to have some fun I turned one into another type of chisel. Spun a quick handle and off I went. Did most of the grinding ( after killing the temper) on a bench grinder, shaped it etc. and then re-tempered it. It looks like it would flex considering the size but it doesn't. Carves very well.
Of course, before and after.