PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl Score Predictions

Brian Kent
01-10-2010, 4:13 PM
San Diego Chargers 37
Minnesota Vikings 33

Any other predictions, forecasts, hopes, wishes?

Paul Ryan
01-10-2010, 4:16 PM
Brian I will go along with that but I think there is a typo in your prediction. It should read

Minnesota Vikings 37
San Diego Chargers 33 :D

Dan Forman
01-10-2010, 5:55 PM
Not a prediction, but I'd sure like to see the Vike's come out on top this year. I've pulled for them on each of their four visits, and hope the fifth is the charm.

Dan

Brian Kent
01-10-2010, 6:04 PM
Brian I will go along with that but I think there is a typo in your prediction. It should read

Minnesota Vikings 37

That's what all my Minnesota cousins keep telling me:rolleyes:.

Mike Henderson
01-10-2010, 6:06 PM
When is the superbowl this year?

Mike

jerry nazard
01-10-2010, 6:17 PM
San Diego Chargers 37
Minnesota Vikings 33

Colts 24 (21)
Cardinals 21 (24)

I think these are the teams but the game could go either way. My wife thinks that I'm nuts, but she's from Fargo, ND which is practically in MN....:D (Have a nice day, Brett....)

You will notice that I completed two sentences on the topic of football without mentioning the Redskins....:rolleyes:

Paul Ryan
01-10-2010, 9:32 PM
This evenings game was a great one. I could not be happier. I cant stand the packers. My two favorit teams are the Vikes and whoever is playing the packers. Arizona is tough, but I don't think they can beat the Saints. I think the packers would have had a better chance of beating the Saints. We will see next weekend. Dallas is so tough right now, even though the Vikes are favored I don't know if they can pull it out. If they can they are superbowl bound. Down with the Pack. It would have been a great story Brett against his old team for the NFC championship, but any time the packers loose it is a good day.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-11-2010, 9:34 AM
What are you guys talking about? Everybody in Texas knows the Dallas Cowboys are going to run the table. end of discussion. Yeah, right. Max in Ft. Worth Tx.

Al Willits
01-11-2010, 9:49 AM
What are you guys talking about? Everybody in Texas knows the Dallas Cowboys are going to run the table. end of discussion. Yeah, right. Max in Ft. Worth Tx.

I do think Dallas will beat the queens, 37 to 30

I don't think Dallas will win the SB though, gonna be interesting either way.

Al

Harvey M. Taylor
01-11-2010, 5:11 PM
Hey Al, who are the queens? is there a girl football team I havent heard about? Just wondering. Max in Ft. Worth Tx.

Jeff Monson
01-11-2010, 5:17 PM

Minnesota Vikings 37

I'll 2nd that, GO VIKES!!!!!!

If they all show up to play I think they can handle the cowgirls.

Paul Ryan
01-11-2010, 7:15 PM
Hey Al, who are the queens? is there a girl football team I havent heard about? Just wondering. Max in Ft. Worth Tx.

Harvey,

Many of the old timers including my father call the Vikings the Vikequeens. I am not sure the history of that nickname. Most of the youger folk call them the Vikes.

Jeff,

I will 2nd that. If our team shows up there is not a team in the NFL we cant beat in the Dome. But the last 5 games they only showed up twice and one came was against a team that quit before the game even started. But Just 4 weeks ago everyone was talking about the Dallas Dec/Jan slump. Now they are the greatest team in the history of the NFL. It sounds like the game doesn't even need to be played. The Vikes shouldn't even show up. That is ESPN for you last week every expert on their network picked the packers to beat Arizona, we now no how that worked out. Vegas has the queens a 2.5 point favorite at this time. But I expect that to change before game time.

Larry Klaaren
01-13-2010, 4:13 PM
Many of the old timers including my father call the Vikings the Vikequeens. I am not sure the history of that nickname.

I believe Steve Cannon on WCCO started that. He was the afternoon drive time guy and he had an alter character that he voiced, I can't remember the name of the character but he was a grouchy dude. Anyway this alter character always called the Vikings the Viqueens, and Green Bay he called Green Bush. Tampa Bay was Tampa Bush, and there were others. We are talking 70's here. Could be wrong about him starting it but he put that on 50.000 watts every day. The World Series was the World Serious. It went on and on.

Larry

Larry Klaaren
01-13-2010, 4:16 PM
PS, I have lived most of my adult life in Minnesota and Indy. Colts/Vikes would be a great Super Bowl. Colts would win. Better offense, and equal on defense.

Larry

Jerome Hanby
01-13-2010, 4:31 PM
Cards 45
Jets 27

Pat Germain
01-13-2010, 5:00 PM
Cardinals 24
Chargers 17

Al Willits
01-13-2010, 6:13 PM
Many of the old timers including my father call the Vikings the Vikequeens. I am not sure the history of that nickname.

I believe Steve Cannon on WCCO started that. He was the afternoon drive time guy and he had an alter character that he voiced, I can't remember the name of the character but he was a grouchy dude. Anyway this alter character always called the Vikings the Viqueens, and Green Bay he called Green Bush. Tampa Bay was Tampa Bush, and there were others. We are talking 70's here. Could be wrong about him starting it but he put that on 50.000 watts every day. The World Series was the World Serious. It went on and on.

Larry

Can't remember who started it, but that would work, about the right time.

Farve gets to run his own game they have a chance, IF they can get their defense together, not so sure they can, they are coming off a win, but the Sister Mary's Home for unwed mothers could have won that game, Dallas may not the the best team in the league, but they just beat a tough team and are on a high right now.

Seems the more the game gets hyped, the worse the actual game is, hope not as I got brisket thawing for next Sunday...:)

Either way, ought to be interesting...I hope.

Al

Brian Kent
01-13-2010, 7:39 PM
Mike - Superbowl is Feb 7.

Larry Klaaren
01-13-2010, 8:34 PM
he had an alter character that he voiced, I can't remember the name of the character

It came to me, that was Morgan Mundane.

Well . . . the Vikes can beat the Cowboys, but they do need to step it up this week if they are going to do that. The Colt's playoff experience the last few years tells me that resting players and getting a bye isn't that helpful.They have a tough task playing the Ravens and probably San Diego. The AFC team will be the winner.

Colts 38
Vikings 27

Paul Ryan
01-13-2010, 11:41 PM
I remeber as a kid riding in the car with my Dad listening to CCO. I remeber a lot of the "Cannon Mess" you had Morgan Mundane, Backlash LaRue, and Ma Linger. Steve Cannon has long retired, but I listen to CCO quite often now. With all the driving I do about 1000 miles a week 99% is AM radio.

GO VIKES

Rick Moyer
01-14-2010, 5:52 AM
Paul, have you considered satellite radio? I drive 1500-2000 miles per week and it's the best thing to keep you occupied. (no affiliation, just a long-time user).

Paul Ryan
01-14-2010, 9:02 AM
Paul, have you considered satellite radio? I drive 1500-2000 miles per week and it's the best thing to keep you occupied. (no affiliation, just a long-time user).

Rick,

I have been a sirus subscriber for about 2 years, and recently canceled it because I didn't listen to it. I could never find a station that I was really interested in. I listen to my local sports station most of the time. KFAN is a clear channel station and have a app. called "I heart radio". So when out of reception range I can listen to the station using my blackberry. I can actually tune into any clear channel station with my phone. This week I have listened to stations in Dallas to see what the football freaks are talking about down there. I know many people that swear by satellite, but I wast entertained. Are you a truck driver, putting on that many miles?

Curt Harms
01-14-2010, 9:22 AM
The Eagles were overrated this year. They went 11-5 but did not beat ONE playoff caliber team. i don't really follow the Cowboys but wouldn't place too much emphasis on the last 2 games.

Brian Kent
01-14-2010, 12:34 PM
I hope you all know I'm just having fun here. I really don't care who the Chargers Beat in the Superbowl!!!!

Paul Ryan
01-14-2010, 2:16 PM
The Eagles were overrated this year. They went 11-5 but did not beat ONE playoff caliber team. i don't really follow the Cowboys but wouldn't place too much emphasis on the last 2 games.

Curt,

That is what I like to hear. Tell me more about how overrated the Cowboys are. We will see this weekend. You can argue that the Vikes are overrated too. They beat the packers twice. But the packers got beat in the 1st game of the playoffs. They beat the Bengals when they were on their downward spiral. They beat the Ravens early in the year. Other than that the teams were either cupcakes or they lost to them. I really don't know at this point. Dallas looks tough but I think my purple has something for them.

Myk Rian
01-14-2010, 3:06 PM
I'm rooting for the home team. The Detroit Lions. :D

Paul Ryan
01-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Saints looked very, very tough today. I picked the Cards but was dead wrong. Tommarow is the day of reconing. I am already starting to get nervous. I have been a die hard Viking fan my whole life. I still dont know who to pick between the Vikes and the Cowgirls. It will be a tough one. Hopefully this will be revenge for 1975.

Indy is looking tough be not nearly as impressive as New Orleans. But then again Arizona has no defense. Tommarow will either be a joyous day or a day of greiving.

Go Vikes

Neal Clayton
01-17-2010, 3:39 AM
arizona had one starting cornerback out before the game, and lost the other in the first quarter. that's tough to overcome especially against brees, colston, shockey, etc.

but that doesn't explain reggie bush, he is stepping it up big time. i was impressed with him today, and that hasn't happened that often since his college days.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d815c595f/Divisional-Playoffs-Reggie-Bush-highlights

it would be poetic justice if the jets make it back to indy and give them a close game, after indy could have eliminated them from the playoffs and quit instead by sitting their starters in week 15.

Rick Moyer
01-17-2010, 7:55 AM
Saints looked very, very tough today. I picked the Cards but was dead wrong. Tommarow is the day of reconing. I am already starting to get nervous. I have been a die hard Viking fan my whole life. I still dont know who to pick between the Vikes and the Cowgirls. It will be a tough one. Hopefully this will be revenge for 1975.

Indy is looking tough be not nearly as impressive as New Orleans. But then again Arizona has no defense. Tommarow will either be a joyous day or a day of greiving.

Go Vikes

Well, I picked all four home teams going in to this weekend so we'll see. I'm hoping, as with the Colts and Saints, there's a reason these teams started off so well. Go Vikes. (I'll root for your Chargers, too, Brian).

Paul, yes, I have my own triaxle dump which I haul mostly quarry stone, although this time of year I'm not very busy, therefore a little more time in the shop.

jerry nazard
01-17-2010, 8:44 AM
arizona had one starting cornerback out before the game, and lost the other in the first quarter. that's tough to overcome especially against brees, colston, shockey, etc.

but that doesn't explain reggie bush, he is stepping it up big time. i was impressed with him today, and that hasn't happened that often since his college days.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d815c595f/Divisional-Playoffs-Reggie-Bush-highlights

it would be poetic justice if the jets make it back to indy and give them a close game, after indy could have eliminated them from the playoffs and quit instead by sitting their starters in week 15.

Hmm... careful, analytical statements about football. How odd... and on a wood forum at that....:D

Paul Ryan
01-17-2010, 3:47 PM
Cowgirls DEAD! Here we come Who Dats!

Go Vikes! Whew Hew!!

Neal Clayton
01-17-2010, 11:23 PM

lol

j-e-t-s jets jets jets?

i don't know about next week. i feel pretty good about it. the saints will struggle with adrian peterson, but jabari greer can handle sydney rice, so brett farve won't do much damage. if he throws pics, the saints will likely win. if he doesn't, i'm not sure. you better be careful with that football minnesota ;). the saints turn fumbles and picks into touchdowns...quick. they don't even come close to losing games they're ahead of in turnover margin.

Hmm... careful, analytical statements about football. How odd... and on a wood forum at that....:D

well, don't have much choice. anyone who grows up in an SEC state (and i've split my life between two of them) learns football right along with the good ole 3 Rs, reading, riteing, rithmetic...hmmm maybe we know more about football than we should and less about other things than we should down here? :D

Larry Klaaren
01-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Still on track for the Minneapolis/Indianapolis showdown.

Did not think the Jets would get by the Chargers and wasn't sure Indy could. Indy should be able to handle the Jets, but the Jets have now won two they shouldn't, so it's a trap game.

The Vikes will have their hands full with the Saints, I'd bet on the Saints but I am rooting for the Vikes. Wasn't able to see the Saints game (or the Vikes) but they sounded awesome on the radio.

Favre against the Jets? . . . Don't want to think about it.

Larry

Paul Ryan
01-18-2010, 8:33 PM
Okay,

The pleasure over winning a game that we were given no chance needs to wear off, it is time to get down to business. This is the game most of us thought was looming over the horizon. The Vikings vs the Saints. #1 vs #2. This is going to be a good one. All of the experts gave my team no chance to beat the Cowgirls. But in the end it was a blow out. Who knows what will happen this week. The Saints are tough, but if my pass rush comes to NO watch out.

Too bad for the Chargers, I didn't really care who won that game. But I didn't give the Jets much of a chance. This could be a disaster for the Colts. They let the Jets into the playoff and now the Jets are on a roll. This is what I love about the NFL on "On Any Given Sunday". Good luck to everyones favorite team.

Rick Moyer
01-19-2010, 6:15 AM
It would be nice if they could open up a hole or two for AP. I don't give the J E T S Jets Jets Jets, much of a chance against the Colts D and #18. I'm gonna say Vikings 31 Saints 24 and Colts 20 Jets 7. i can't be much more wrong than the "experts":).
btw, who wouldn't like to see a Super Bowl with Brett Farve vs. Peyton Manning? two of the most marquee QB's to have played the game.

edit: after re-visiting this thread, I realized I mispelled his name, as did others. I'm leaving it as originally typed. Kinda funny even after all the parodies of pronouncing the name in movies and sports shows.

Jeff Monson
01-19-2010, 11:48 AM
It would be nice if they could open up a hole or two for AP. I don't give the J E T S Jets Jets Jets, much of a chance against the Colts D and #18. I'm gonna say Vikings 31 Saints 24 and Colts 20 Jets 7. i can't be much more wrong than the "experts":).
btw, who wouldn't like to see a Super Bowl with Brett Farve vs. Peyton Manning? two of the most marquee QB's to have played the game.

Hope you are right Rick, and I couldnt agree more on a Farve vs Manning super bowl. I cant imagine Farve's excitement level on a super bowl game, he'd be running up and down the field with his arms in the air like a second grader!! I cant wait to see it, I really like his attitude for the game, its second to none, he truly shows his love for the game. I wish all pro athletes were more like that!!

But 1st things 1st, they gotta beat the Saints, I think if the D can get to Brees like they did to Romo it will be a tough game for the Saints. If our offense plays like last week......I need say no more.

oh and BTW, GO VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julie Rose
01-20-2010, 8:48 AM
To the original poster, Brian, (who strangely seems to be missing...) and said
"San Diego Chargers 37 Minnesota Vikings 33"
and
"I really don't care who the Chargers Beat in the Superbowl!!!!"

What year were you talking about?

;)
~Julie~

Paul Ryan
01-22-2010, 3:42 PM
I am waiting for some predictions for this weekends games. You know who I am cheering for. If the game was in MN I give the Who Dats NO chance. But since it is in New Orleans, it is a toss up. I have went both ways all week again. The Saints are tough, but so are the purple. But there is always the purple curse. Is this the year? Does the old #4, the grey beard finally break the curse. We will see.

Go Vikes!!

Neal Clayton
01-24-2010, 12:19 PM
34/20 saints is my prediction.

Paul Ryan
01-24-2010, 3:05 PM
Neal

Today's the day. I really like championship sunday better than the superbowl. There are 2 games, home teams, and louder stadiums. I don't do predictions. Unlike last week which I despised the stinkin Cowboy's, it is really hard for me to dislike the Saints. The have had a tough history as well. But I think your prediction is off base. It is going to be a tough one, a nail bitter. I have had my hopes and dreams crushed to many times for me to be confindent like other fans. But all I can say is

Go Vikes!

Rick Moyer
01-24-2010, 5:43 PM
My predictions are already up here. Unfortunately my 20-7 Colts win is already 27-17 halfway thru the 4th qtr. We'll see about the Vikes-Saints. I'll be pulling for whoever wins that one in the Super Bowl.

Ironically I've been to a total of four pro football games in my lifetime and the Vikings, Saints, and Jets were involved in them.

Neal Clayton
01-24-2010, 10:25 PM
well, that was a great game. not because both teams played well, more like that both teams made huge mistakes back to back. i was just texting someone "luck > skill" and "whichever team wins this game, deserved to lose".

that about sums it up, lol.

Paul Ryan
01-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Congrates Neal,

Your team played well. But I can't say the better team won. I am sorry if that sounds like a sore looser, but I feel as if my team gave yours the win. The curse of the purple lives on.

Good Luck in the Super Bowl, I'll be pulling for the Saints.

Rick Moyer
01-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Congratulations Saints. I'll be rooting for you in the Super Bowl, but right now I feel like I punched myself in the stomach:(.

Tim Morton
01-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Congrates Neal,

Your team played well. But I can't say the better team won. I am sorry if that sounds like a sore looser, but I feel as if my team gave yours the win. The curse of the purple lives on.

added to the curse of #4 and you guys never had a chance;)

Brian Kent
01-24-2010, 10:40 PM
San Diego Chargers 37
Minnesota Vikings 33

How am I doing so far?

Paul Ryan
01-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I guess the way I look at it is even #4 couldn't break the curse. He may have made mistakes but my whole team made massive mistakes and still should have won. But as usual it wasn't meant to be. I don't feel even close to as bad as I did in 98 when the curse bit us. Time to change the avitar back.

Jon Lanier
01-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Colts 31
Saints 17

Neal Clayton
01-24-2010, 11:08 PM
i think it'll be a lot higher scoring than that, to be honest. the jets burned the colts deep a couple of times today, if they can do it, the saints surely can.

Congrates Neal,

not at all. the saints were very good last week. this week, not so great. they struggled on third downs and turned the ball over deep in the red zone, two things they have not had trouble with all year long.

if the vikings had not fumbled the ball right back on multiple occasions, i think they would've won. their defense was as good as it was billed up to be, but favre and peterson screwed them, again.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Paul,

I wanted the Vikings to win........the Vikings beat themselves.......6 fumbles.....how many interceptions?.........It wasn't just Favre or Peterson either. Football...just like baseball....basketball...a lot of sports..is a team sport. At this level it takes a team to win.

On this day the Vikings wasn't the best team....

Neal Clayton
01-25-2010, 12:54 AM
3 lost fumbles and two picks officially.

but there were more fumbles that they were fortunate enough to get back.

you can't really point to anything but that. can't turn the ball over 3+ times in the NFL and win any game, much less a playoff game.

Paul Ryan
01-25-2010, 8:30 AM
What keeps haunting me guys is not the turns overs. Yes those took points off the board that we could have used. But the 12 men in the huddle with 19 sec. left when we were in long field goal range. We take the 5 yard penalty that puts us in real long field goal range. Then Favre happens, the interception was a critical mistake that shouldn't have happend. There was a receiver open on the side line in front of him, plus he had open running room to gain about 10 yards. That would have put us back in to comfortable kicking range for Longwell. Instead the interception and overtime and eventually, the loss. If Favre comes back I think we have an excellent chance again, but after watching the interview with Pan Oliver. I think Favre is done 100%.

Jeff Monson
01-25-2010, 8:59 AM
The Vikes beat themselves, it was clear to me they were the better team, but you cant win with that many turnovers and mental mistakes. It was an entertaining game but disheartening in many ways. Oh well thats why they call it a game.

Paul, I'd have to totally agree, the chances of seeing #4 out there again are slim to none, I'd expect him to announce it today.

Larry Klaaren
01-25-2010, 9:33 AM
Well, at the championship level teams are able to meet the other sides strengths and make them do things they usually don't do. Then the opponent makes mistakes. Good teams often look bad in this type of game. So, N.O. did that, and Favre had to eat it or make the cross-field pass. He should have eaten it. New Orleans defense got them the win, congratulations.

The Saints are real bruisers, but the Colts can win if they can protect Manning. Injuries just might determine the game. I think the Colts are a little deeper.

35-30 Colts.

Larry

Roy Wall
01-25-2010, 10:17 AM
The Vikes beat themselves, it was clear to me they were the better team, but you cant win with that many turnovers and mental mistakes. It was an entertaining game but disheartening in many ways. Oh well thats why they call it a game.

Paul, I'd have to totally agree, the chances of seeing #4 out there again are slim to none, I'd expect him to announce it today.

Agree on all points......

The fumbling was just atrocious (can't make a hand off on a running play when on the Saint's 4 yard line.........are you kidding me!!:confused::mad:).
And the last throw from Favre.....knowing you only need 5-7 yards to get back into field position........all that room in front of him.......oh my......

Vikings just imploded all game long.......Saints know they escaped.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Boys,

I am gonna disagree............

If a team beats themselves....on that day they are NOT the better team.

Obviously New Orleans was putting pressure on the Vikings that caused them to make those fumbles.....to throw the interceptions.....

The better team makes the fewest mistakes while putting enough pressure on their opponents to cause them to make more important, game losing mistakes.

This isn't the regular season where you have time to recover from your mistakes and roll chicken bones and feathers and such on the ground and win a "Wild Card" place. This is the post season.

Yesterday....the Vikings were NOT the better team.

I am not a Saints fan BTW. I wanted the Vikings to win. I wanted to see Favre vs Manning in the Super Bowl.

Horton Brasses
01-25-2010, 1:51 PM
..But the 12 men in the huddle with 19 sec. left when we were in long field goal range. We take the 5 yard penalty that puts us in real long field goal range. Then Favre happens, the interception was a critical mistake that shouldn't have happend. There was a receiver open on the side line in front of him, plus he had open running room to gain about 10 yards. That would have put us back in to comfortable kicking range for Longwell. Instead the interception and overtime and eventually, the loss...

I agree with this. The last 19 seconds of game clock was awful-worse than watching Andy Reid try to close out a close game in Philly. It was poor management that cost them the game. A better coach would simply not have allowed any of that too happen. The 12 men in the huddle was ridiculous. Once that's over the offensive coordinator should have briefed Favre on exactly what he needed to do and not do. Childress looked like a deer in headlights, never a good thing for a coach. I am going to go out on a limb and say at least a part of the reason for that awful series was the Favre/Childress dynamic. An authoritarian coach would have given the QB a briefing that should have prevented the pick. And I was rooting for the Saints.

Phyllis Meyer
01-25-2010, 2:04 PM
I was truly believing there would be a Vikings/Colts Superbowl. I am actually a Packer fan that understood why Favre would come back and want to play. While many in WI hated him for being a Viking, I really wanted them to win...what a story that would have been! My husband and I were at the last NFC championship game at Lambeau (yep the cold one), and we watched as he did the same thing and couldn't believe it. I can't believe he did what he did last night. They beat him up bad (and I didn't like that), and I really believe it's time for him to enjoy the rest of his life with his family!

Phyllis

P.S. Go Colts!

Jeff Monson
01-25-2010, 2:34 PM
Boys,

I am gonna disagree............

If a team beats themselves....on that day they are NOT the better team.

Obviously New Orleans was putting pressure on the Vikings that caused them to make those fumbles.....to throw the interceptions.....

The better team makes the fewest mistakes while putting enough pressure on their opponents to cause them to make more important, game losing mistakes.

This isn't the regular season where you have time to recover from your mistakes and roll chicken bones and feathers and such on the ground and win a "Wild Card" place. This is the post season.

Yesterday....the Vikings were NOT the better team.

I am not a Saints fan BTW. I wanted the Vikings to win. I wanted to see Favre vs Manning in the Super Bowl.

I agree to disagree Ken, yes the Saints put alot of pressure on the Vikes offense and did cause some turnovers. But with 19 seconds left the game should have been all but over. You've got the best kicker in the business, let him do his thing. Let the clock wind down to 3 sec. and kick the fieldgoal. The MN coaching staff should have had this well in hand, and that IMO is not the fault of the players. They out passed and out rushed the Saints, 2nd half stats for the Saints was awful.....But the scoreboard tells a different story.

Sorry, I'm still a bit bitter, that was a tough loss, but I will still stand up for my team.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2010, 2:41 PM
The only yards that count are the ones in the opponents end zone.

The rest are meaningless.

The interceptions....were made by New Orleans players....as easily as you can say Favre made a poor decision...you can say the Saints defender made a good decision and was in the right spot.

The team who made the fewest important mistakes won......and it wasn't the Vikings.....

Do you think the Vikings wouldn't have made the fumbles or interceptions if the Saints would have remained on the sidelines and not on the field of play?

Sorry but playing error free...or making fewer important mistakes is part of being a good team.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2010, 3:00 PM
and.......coaches are part of the team ....and their decisions.....well that is part of playing the game, too!

I wanted the Vikings to win....I wanted to see what may be the 2 best quarterbacks I've seen in my lifetime play against each other.......Manning and Favre......

In the NFL, especially at this time of the season, any team can be beat by any other team. If one team comes in flat or not prepared....or with some key injuries.....

The Vikings played a great season and a good game yesterday but frankly, not as good as they seemed in other games this season. But I can say I believe I saw the Saints play better this season too.

That next game should really be interesting!

Jeff Monson
01-25-2010, 5:37 PM
and.......coaches are part of the team ....and their decisions.....well that is part of playing the game, too!

I wanted the Vikings to win....I wanted to see what may be the 2 best quarterbacks I've seen in my lifetime play against each other.......Manning and Favre......

In the NFL, especially at this time of the season, any team can be beat by any other team. If one team comes in flat or not prepared....or with some key injuries.....

The Vikings played a great season and a good game yesterday but frankly, not as good as they seemed in other games this season. But I can say I believe I saw the Saints play better this season too.

That next game should really be interesting!

Couldnt agree with you more Ken, the second half I never really saw a team that wanted to win. But its playoff football, either team can win, its only 4 quarters and you have to play them all.

Its gonna be a great super bowl, I've got total respect for Manning, he is on of the greats. I'll be pulling for the Saints though, they have to be really pumped today after the hangover wears off!!

Paul Ryan
01-25-2010, 6:23 PM
I am not going to get in on the better team won or lost the game. All I know is the Vikes again as a underdog beat themselves. Favre is already getting heat in the media over the interception at the end. It was a dumb play that happened in a championship game in the heat of the moment. That play would never have been called if the 12 men in the huddle wouldn't have happened. What ticks me off even more is the fact that the penalty happend after a time out. That is totally inexcusable, whoever is in charge of the substitutions should be fired. Who knows Longwell might not have made the field goal, but I wouldn't beat against him. I am so happy that #4 played for my team and had such a good year. The last play in no way takes anything away from him. I hope he comes back but I doubt he will, he has nothing to prove in my book.

I really dont know why he would want to play for the Vikes anyway, they are a cursed franchise. Going all the way back to their 1st superbowl when they were heavily favored and lost to the Chiefs. Something always seems to bite them in the but. My nephew 10 years old told his father after the game that he had a stomach ache. And his dad just said get used to it, if you are going to be a Viking fan.

With 19 sec to go I had tears in my eyes because I though for sure this was going to be the year. I would have bet everything I owned that we were going to win. And then the curse struck. But life goes on it is just a game.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2010, 7:30 PM
At age 40, Favre had a wonderful year....and so did the team.

What makes Favre unique and has through his entire career is the reckless abandon with which he played the game like he was eternally an 8 year old boy. Farve was the one in a million who could take the chance throws and plays that would bite a lot of quarterbacks in the butt..he could take those chance plays and make them payoff a large majority of the time.....and he did it with the heart, soul and smile of a little 8 year old boy so enjoying the moment. Yes....on occasion he got caught....and paid a price....but most of the time ..those dangerous longshots paid off for him and his team..big payoffs.... when they wouldn't for anyone else.

At age 40....he had a truly wonderful year.....and as Tom Jackson said today on ESPN...if the last memory I have of Favre's career is that game yesterday (I had to leave during the 1st game to go work and returned at half time of the 2nd game) and that interception......I will still feel like I've seen one of the best.....and though his team lost the game....at age 40...he still had it in him .....he played well....with reckless abandon....and the love of the game.

Paul Ryan
01-25-2010, 8:26 PM
I would like to watch and here what some of the guys on espn have to say. But I really cant stomach it right now. If we would have gotten the snot kicked out of us I wouldn't have such a problem. But mistakes that easily could have a should have been avoided cost us again. I think the Saints played an excellent game and really punished Favre. But I think if that game is played 10 times my purple win 8. But this was not the year as is usual. Favre is a special player and much better player now than he has been in other times of his career. But I must quit beating a dead horse and again congratulate Saints fans and enjoy the superbowl.

Neal Clayton
01-26-2010, 2:14 AM
yeah, i've seen alot of speculation about brett favre and comparing to the giants game a couple of years ago, but the bottom line is...with tarvaris jackson the vikings are nowhere near even playing in that game, much less having a chance to win it.

i wouldn't give the vikings 8 out of 10. it also has to be considered that drew brees was off a bit. if he plays as well as he did against the pats, for instance, they probably win by two TDs, maybe 3.

i think the two two teams are pretty even. giving the saints the edge on offense, and the vikings the edge on defense, on any given day.

it just so happened that the saints offense wasn't that great, but the vikings turnovers made up for that.

Mark Patoka
01-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Given the way the Saints started both games against AZ and MN, it's bound to be 14-14 after the first quarter before the defenses can settle down. It should be fun to watch both Brees and Manning light it up. Both teams are class acts so either one winning would be great, though I'm rooting for NO just because they haven't won it before.

Final: NO 34, IND 31

The Vikes shouldv'e won that game though as a Chedderhead I'm glad they didn't. You couldn't have scripted that ending with the stupid mistakes. As we've experienced all these years, you live by the F4vre, you die by the F4vre, though that play really just capped off the blunders made all night.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Most NFL football teams live and or die by their quarterbacks..

Without doing a Google Search who would replace Drew Brees if he gets injured?

Who would replace Peyton Manning if he gets injured?

The point is most teams have one quarterback that they hang their game on.

Where was the Vikings offensive line Sunday?....they had a job to do and didn't get it done.

At this level of football it takes a team...everyone doing their job...eveyone.....and it didn't happen Sunday.

Why is it so many people want to ignore the fact that Sunday Farve spent more time on his butt than probably any other game this year? While the Saints defense wasn't that good..they did one thing right....they rushed the quarterback very well..they put Favre on the ground so often that he started getting rid of the ball faster....and that resulted in some of those mistakes.....as a result of the Saints defensive rush.

The next game could be interesting.

Neal Clayton
01-26-2010, 11:29 AM
the saints backup is mark brunell.

and what i've seen of him in the last game of the season when they were resting starters, he's pretty terrible these days.

the colts backup is a rookie i've never heard of.

Paul Ryan
01-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Ken,

I will disagree with your take in the MN O-line. I think they did a good job. Greg Williams the Saints defesive coridinator will tell you they dont have a good enough D-line to put pressure on with out blitzing heavily. The Saints D had a terrific game plan. It was to rush more players that MN could block and give Favre a beating. And he took a beating. He was a little off his game as well because of it. But MN offense had double the years than the Saints because of the Blitzes. All of those yards didn't turn into points because of the turnovers. In the 2nd half the great Saints offense had well under 100 yards because of the defense MN played. Again the score wasn't higher because of turn overs. The great coaches will tell you the only stats that matter are big plays and turn overs. When you turn the ball over 4 times or more in a regular season game the chance of winning is less than 7%. Now you turn it over 5 times in a playoff game aginst and excellent team, and you are doomed. But thanks to MN terrific defense we still had a chance to go with 19sec left. I guess the majority of Saints fans thought the game was over with 19sec left as I did. And then the purple curse strikes.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Paul......Somebody on the offense didn't get the blocking done...usually that is the primary responsibility of the offensive line. Regardless...as a team...the Vikings didn't get it done.....Favre spent too much time trying to get rid of the ball and protect himself...and he did get injured......and beat up...

I wanted the Vikings to win......I wanted to see Favre vs Manning....

My whole point in this thread....the Vikings were beat by the better team Sunday......

I don't think it is fair for anyone to say on Sunday....the Vikings beat themselves and the best team didn't win. To me that is just emotional trash talk and absurd.

I will guarrantee that if the Saints teams hadn't been on the field the Vikings wouldn't have made the fumbles and interceptions..... Therefore the only logical conclusion is that the Saints played a good game Sunday and they were the better team on that day.

As far as could they have done it on another given day? Pure speculation.

Paul...I didn't have dog in that fight....but I was hoping to see Favre vs Manning.

As far as Favre.... I will miss his presence....he played with a reckless abandon and childish jubilation that I will miss. His records prove he was and is a great quarterback. The reckless abandon was the thing that set him apart from the others...it won a lot of games...and yes on occasion it cost his team games. This year his td pass vs interception difference was the best of his entire career. Not bad for "an old man" of 40.

I'm sorry your Vikings lost Paul.

But I won't deny the Saints their due praise either.

Paul Ryan
01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Ken,

You are intitled to your own opinion. My eyes may have seen a different game since I bleed purple. But I will stick by what I felt was an excellent game lost by a better team. Not to take anything away from the Saints there are an excellent team lead by wonderful people off the field. But I and many others feel that the superior team beat themselves. Good luck to the Saints. I will be cheering for them, in the superbowl.

I am done with the nonesense of debating something that cannot be changed or predicted.