PDA

View Full Version : Lowes and the PC Bandsaw

John Shaffner
01-10-2010, 3:05 PM
Well, with all the hubbub about the Delta BS at Lowes, my local ones don't seem to have any in stock.:( So, I glanced over the PC BS there this morning. It sure would be an upgrade for me vs my 25 yr old Craftsman 12"er. A couple of questions though. First, does anyone have one, and how do you like it? Second, will the same upgrades for the Delta be applicable to the PC?

Unfortunately, I don't have the fundage to go with a Grizz or Rikon...and will definately stay away from the HF. Of course, CL is an option, but BSs are a scarce commodity there (although I did see a 36"er on there once, but no 440/3 phase! wouldn't fit in the shop anyway)

Any opinions and/or advice is surely welcome here.

TIA,
John

michael case
01-10-2010, 6:26 PM
I assume we are talking about the old-style 14"cast iron bandsaw. IMO the older Tawainese-made Deltas were pretty fair. The new Chinese made Delta 14" is IMO a poor choice. Is there some where you can look at the Delta next to to other machines before you buy one? I would not condemn this machine without reason. But having seen it and read the reviews it would be dishonest if I did not. If you can get a close-up look you will find it to be crudely cast and poorly made. Also, if you can, I would suggest you check out Fine Woodworking's review of 14" bandsaws. The Delta was bottom of the barrel according to them and this would jive with what I could see for myself and what honest sales help will admit. The fact that its turning up at Lowes also may say something. Lowes may be a nice store in many ways, but they are more of a mass marketer of whats available and cheap rather than whats best when it comes to machines for a cabinet shop.

Jeremy Killingbeck
01-10-2010, 6:33 PM
I agree with Michale about the build quality of the Lowes 14" Delta band saw. I just recent bought one to replace my 1950's Delta 14". There are many things that just don't seem to be manufactured vary well especially the casting. However, I will say since I only paid $150 for a new in box band saw it was worth the price, but I would be upset if I paid $420 for that saw. If it were not for a few nice features I probably would not have even thought of upgrading from my 1950's 14".

michael case
01-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Hey john,

Its not a good band saw, but that's an absolute giveaway. I hope you can find one at Lowes.