PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell cordless opinions please

dan sherman
01-10-2010, 2:36 PM
For the sake of full disclosure, I have been against cordless drills for years. I have stated many times that cordless tools are a waste of money, because the batteries go bad. Additionally I've noticed over the years that both batteries seem to go bad at the same time. Thus, you have to purchase two new batteries unless you want to wait for one to charge. Usually two replacement batteries cost almost as much as a new drill, so a lot of people just purchase a new drill instead. To me this is a waste of money, so I just give them a cursory glance while at the store.

While at Menards yesterday, I noticed that Rockwell is offering free replacement batteries for life on on all cordless tools.
http://www.rockwelltoolsdirect.com/about/power-tool-batteries.php
If the tools are decent, I could see my self actually breaking down and buying a cordless drill (The 18v lithium looked decent).

If you own Rockwell cordless tools, what do you think of them? Are they decently constructed, inquiring minds want to know.

Wayne A Hall
01-10-2010, 9:15 PM
I called their customer service number a few weeks ago inquiring on who was a local dealer. They didn't have a clue. So I moved on to another supplier.

Dan Friedrichs
01-10-2010, 9:19 PM
Ridgid is doing the same...

dan sherman
01-10-2010, 9:27 PM
As long as the tool is quality and the free batteries stuff is legit, it doesn't matter to me how knowledgeable the customer service representatives are. I can't remember the last time I dealt with one that I didn't finish the conversation thinking a disparaging comment.

Rigid you say, when did that start?

Bruce Page
01-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Dan, from the link you gave:

"CHANGES TO AGREEMENT TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Rockwell Power Tools reserves the right to cancel, alter or change the implied or written terms and conditions of the Free Lifetime Replacement Battery Agreement at any time."

That statement would cause me some concern.

And you're right, the batteries always seem do die in pairs.

Greg Wittler
01-11-2010, 1:36 AM
I remember a TV ad for silverware. One of those 100pc sets of steel dinnerware that bends easier than plastic for $19.99 w/free replacement for any dmaged or lost piece for life and in small print flashed on the TV for a moment was a $3.00 handling charge for each replacement piece. I wouldn't trust anything that said free replacement for life. I understand how you feel about these products, but it is so nice to be able to drill a hole or screw something without having to get out the extension cord and find a free plug. I have found that when I let the battery completely drain before charging that it lasts a whole lot longer. I had a Sonicare toothbrush that my dentist said would last for 2 years, but because I would unplug it after it finished charging and wouldn't recharge until it ran out, it lasted over 8 years.

Greg

dan sherman
01-11-2010, 3:32 AM
Greg,

Point taken, but at a list price of $199 it's not cheap, it's right up there with dewalt & makita. I passed on picking it up during the green bag sale, because I couldn't find any reviews online and I don't like being a guinea pig. Maybe I'll pick it up during the next sale if I can find some reviews between now and then.

I remember a TV ad for silverware. One of those 100pc sets of steel dinnerware that bends easier than plastic for $19.99 w/free replacement for any dmaged or lost piece for life and in small print flashed on the TV for a moment was a $3.00 handling charge for each replacement piece.

John McClanahan
01-11-2010, 9:38 PM
This is one reason I like my Craftsman 19.2 volt system. Replacement batteries can be found on sale for $30.

John