PDA

View Full Version : Wing Thing

Joseph M Lary
01-10-2010, 1:43 PM
Rough out a wing bowl this morning, before I go out to shovel some more snow . Not sure what kind of tree it was from need to get my book out . I got a bit of sanding to do when it drys. Finishing a Hackberry one also, will do some pics when it drys .

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2010, 1:56 PM
Cool looking winged bowl Joseph! Lots of color in this one! Looking forward to seeing the finished version!

John Keeton
01-10-2010, 3:11 PM
Joseph, you got the title right!! That is a wild one - but I like it!! Will you have any trouble with the pith cracking?

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2010, 3:13 PM
Good looking bowl out of some nice looking wood.

Richard Madison
01-10-2010, 5:43 PM
Nice bowl Joseph. The low wing is interesting.

Joseph M Lary
01-10-2010, 6:11 PM
John , the pith had a crack in it when I started will see what happens as it drys , Never really liked the looks of a wing bowl but its growing on me now. They are fun to turn just watch where you put your fingers :D

Dave Halter
01-10-2010, 8:31 PM
That is some pretty wood, I bet the colors will really come out when you put finish on it.

Jim Pinkerton
01-10-2010, 9:04 PM
That looks just like the wood I had posted about a while back. The guy I got mine from thought it was pear wood, but I do not think it is Pear. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=124757
It is very nice looking wood and a very cool winged bowl. Please post if you findout what it is.
Jim

Leo Van Der Loo
01-10-2010, 9:42 PM
Rough out a wing bowl this morning, before I go out to shovel some more snow . Not sure what kind of tree it was from need to get my book out . I got a bit of sanding to do when it drys. Finishing a Hackberry one also, will do some pics when it drys .

You got some Honey Locust there joseph, for that split to not get worse, you could make a staple, or even use a ceiling staple, drill two very small holes in the end and then stick the staple in there, it should keep the split from opening up more, I've done that a few times and it works well.
When the bowl is dry just pull the staple out, the small holes are very easily closed up so you wouldn't see them anymore :)

It'll look quite nice when all done I'm sure

Leo Van Der Loo
01-11-2010, 12:56 AM
That looks just like the wood I had posted about a while back. The guy I got mine from thought it was pear wood, but I do not think it is Pear. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=124757
It is very nice looking wood and a very cool winged bowl. Please post if you findout what it is.
Jim

You are right Jim, that wood you had was also Honey Locust :D

Joseph M Lary
01-11-2010, 9:25 AM
The leafs are right it must be Honeylocust , but I have never seen pods on that tree. it across the alley from me . Thanks Leo

Jim Pinkerton
01-11-2010, 3:18 PM
Joseph and Leo,
I hope you two are happy...Because of you, a Honey Locust tree, (somewhere, yet to be found), will have to be cut up and turned into beautiful bowls.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-11-2010, 4:23 PM
Joseph most all the Honey Locust trees that are planted are the kind with no thorns and no seed-pods, it is the male Honey Locust.
Normally most are bisexual but some Honey Locust do exist naturally that are unisexual, it is from those that the most commonly planted trees are cloned, there are many of those planted here in the city, as they are semi open and the leaves when falling are no trouble, unlike the big leaves from Maple, Oak, Poplar etc., also no problems with disease or wind/snow storms breakage, so an ideal city tree, and good for nice turning wood, for us :D:D :)