PDA

View Full Version : Toolnut - they sucked me in!!!

John Keeton
01-10-2010, 1:23 PM
The whopping deal at Toolnut pushed me over the edge this morning!! My Delta 46-460, with bed extension is on its way to KY!!:D:D

So, how many more victims did they suck deeper into the vortex with this one?

Robert McGowen
01-10-2010, 1:31 PM
Probably one of their easier sells.......... :D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2010, 1:32 PM
Hey Bernie, Brian, Steve....................

FISH ON!

Baxter Smith
01-10-2010, 1:33 PM
Congrats! Sorry the suspense is over though! I was enjoying it!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2010, 1:41 PM
Is that a variable speed John?

Congrats! May it serve you well.

David Christopher
01-10-2010, 1:42 PM
John, not only did they push you in, they greesed you up so you would slide faster:eek:

congrats on the new lathe, I know you will love it

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2010, 1:49 PM
John - Congrats on your new lathe! Should make turning even more funner! Looking forward to seeing the photos (proof) once it arrives! Congrats!

David E Keller
01-10-2010, 1:52 PM
Pretty crafty buying this small lathe... Leaving some room om the plate for a side of mustard. They'll have a sale on it too.

Gary Conklin
01-10-2010, 1:56 PM
Slip slidding away!!!http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:m1aJuW8Xp5HbaM%3Ahttp://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/pigdean/uploaded_images/slip_n_slide-749466.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/pigdean/uploaded_images/slip_n_slide-749466.jpg&imgrefurl=http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/pigdean/default.asp&usg=__5l9Wizh9Kw7kYxbX8FEXa43TIxE=&h=484&w=640&sz=72&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=m1aJuW8Xp5HbaM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dslip%2Bn%2Bslide%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T 4GGLL_enUS318US318%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1)

You my friend are fully turned to the darkside!
http://welcometothedarkside.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/join-the-darkside.jpg

Steve Mawson
01-10-2010, 2:01 PM
Congrats John. Didn't take long to upgrade, think you will like this lathe. Pictures when it comes???? I think they come from Tennessee so you should have it pretty quick.

Paul Douglass
01-10-2010, 2:59 PM
Really offended by your language!!! LOL But congratulations anyway!

Gary Herrmann
01-10-2010, 3:05 PM
Now John, are you going to have to sell any more planes to get all those accessories you're going to need? Hmmm?

;)

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2010, 3:15 PM
Naw we didn't grease the way I just threw a banana peel down just before John took a step. Boy did that get him sliding down that slippery slope.:eek::D:cool:;):rolleyes:

Congrats John on a fine lathe. You are going to love it. I hope it was the VS model.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2010, 3:17 PM
Bernie,

If it's the one I saw in the ad...it's VS and 1 hp. Should be a fine lathe!

John Keeton
01-10-2010, 3:20 PM
Congrats! Sorry the suspense is over though! I was enjoying it!:DBaxter, I was kinda enjoying the banter, too! I'm sure it won't fully cease until somewhere down the road this Mustard Gang pulls me on into the boat!!:D

Is that a variable speed John?

Congrats! May it serve you well.Yep, it is the new one with VS, and reverse. I think it will do all I need to do in the next few years, though I could certainly see somewhere down the road "movin' on up!"

John, not only did they push you in, they greesed you up so you would slide faster:eek:

congrats on the new lathe, I know you will love itA well crafted plan, conceived from the start to make it easy. I think they drugged me!!:eek:

Congrats John. Didn't take long to upgrade, think you will like this lathe. Pictures when it comes???? I think they come from Tennessee so you should have it pretty quick.Steve, I was actually hoping for a little more time to get a stand built! And, I need to get the ol' HF sold.

I don't regret at all getting the HF. It is a good little lathe, and did just what I needed - let me know whether this was going to take on me, or whether it was a passing fancy. Admittedly, it took - and took hard!!

I have $187, plus tax, invested in the HF lathe, and I have seen them sell quickly for $150. So, for less than $50 I have had a bunch of fun. And, I didn't risk jumping in and finding out it wasn't for me and being stuck with an expensive lathe.

The lathe comes with another G3 chuck, so I will have two of them. I will be able to put my Cole jaws on one, and leave the other on the lathe.

I'm excited!

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2010, 3:40 PM
Ken and John, it will be a fine lathe. I got to turn on one and wished it had been out when I got the Jet 1220. I definitely would have bought it instead. It is smooth, quiet and has plenty of power. Good for you John.

Kirk Miller
01-10-2010, 3:56 PM
I am trying to pass on this smoking deal, and you guys are making it harder.....lol I am in the process of upgrading my place of residence to include a dedicated shop. I told myself I wasn't getting a new lathe until that is accomplished. That will be a very nice lathe for you John.

Alan Tolchinsky
01-10-2010, 4:31 PM
Congrats John! Mine is on the way and I just picked up the wood to make a cart with storage for it to go on. I feel like I'm a little responsible for spending your money. Sorry about that but I think you got a great deal and will really like the new toy. :D Alan

Tony De Masi
01-10-2010, 4:37 PM
John, don't rry to blame this on ToolNut. Did we push you a bit? Sure. But you didn't put up much of a fight either. This has been fun and you sure have produced some wonderful pieces too. All the best with the new toy.

Tony

Harvey M. Taylor
01-10-2010, 5:03 PM
John, as I recall, you ordered a steady rest for the HF lathe. Seems that you should get a bit more for it with the rest.
Anyway, will you be ordering the new rest for the Delta?Max

Bill Bolen
01-10-2010, 5:32 PM
Congrat's John! Do you want Brent's number at Robust for use in 2011???...Bill..

Rob Cunningham
01-10-2010, 5:40 PM
Congrats John. It didn't take too long for you to be completely consumed.
Post some pics when you get it. I can't wait to see what you turn next.

Dan Forman
01-10-2010, 5:43 PM
John---Congrats on the new lathe. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Dan

Paul Douglass
01-10-2010, 6:44 PM
John, I hope you didn't change the title of this thread becouse I said it offended me, I was joking. It is really pretty hard to offend this old coot.

Sid Matheny
01-10-2010, 7:20 PM
Congrats John on the new toy! I never seen anyone slide sooo faassst!

Sid

gary Zimmel
01-10-2010, 7:50 PM
One more congrats on the new toy John.
Looking forward to seeing it all set up.
How long for delivery?

A couple of new lathes in a couple of months.:eek:
Are you sure you are not stocking up on lathes to start a school in a couple of months.:D
I'm thinking the way this is going you may need a bigger shop soon....

Good for you again...
Upside of this whole thing is the "mustard mob" still has some work to do!

alex carey
01-10-2010, 7:58 PM
congrats on the purchase, your sinking further and further.

Dave Halter
01-10-2010, 8:23 PM
Wow, that didn't take long. Congrats on the purchase. Even if you upgrade to a larger lathe later it would be nice to keep a smaller "transportable" one. I would love to have a mini/midi to go along with my 1642.

Dave

Mike Wenman
01-10-2010, 8:25 PM
Hey Bernie, Brian, Steve....................

FISH ON!

Best part is that a fish finder wasn't needed...knew where it was all along, just a matter of getting the right bait that works :D

Jim Sebring
01-11-2010, 1:45 AM
... and we're sure you fought 'em tooth and nail while you were being sucked in. :rolleyes:

Brian Effinger
01-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Congratulations John! :D :D :D

I'm sure you'll enjoy this lathe - I know I have. I am actually thinking of dropping them a line to see what the extension alone would cost me.

And we didn't drug you, it was self-medication. :) Turning is the best drug!

Brian

P.S. Don't forget the pictures when you get it. That way we'll all know it really happened.

John Keeton
01-11-2010, 1:23 PM
I didn't go down easy!!

I got notice of the Toolnut sale email Saturday afternoon after seeing the thread on it. A quick check revealed Toolnut was closed for the day, but that they opened at 10am Sunday morning.

I fought the demons all night - a vicious battle!:eek: There was gnashing of teeth, horrible visions.....I fought with valor and resisted until 10:02 am Sunday morning.

On the way out the door, as my wife kept reminding me we were going to be late for church, I placed the call. Sean at Toolnut informed me I was caller #1!!:o:o

So much for resistance!!!:rolleyes:

True to an addiction, I still blame my actions on the influence of others!! You all know who you are!!:D;)

gary Zimmel
01-11-2010, 1:48 PM
And now how many more sleepless nights waiting for the Fed Ex truck to come up the driveway John?

David Walser
01-11-2010, 1:50 PM
John,

Congrats on the upgrade. I've seen the new Delta and think it's a wonderful lathe. Having said that, you might want to consider keeping the Harbor Freight lathe. As you did, I bought a HF lathe to test the waters. Six months later, I upgraded to a Woodfast. Close to 10 years later, I still have both lathes. The HF makes a great buffing station. When I've got my Woodfast set up for one project, the HF still makes a great second lathe. Over the last year, I've turned several pens and other small projects on the HF while my "real" lathe was otherwise occupied.

Worried about space? Don't. Just get rid of your table saw. You're not going to need it.

Brian Effinger
01-11-2010, 2:18 PM
So much for resistance!!!:rolleyes:

True to an addiction, I still blame my actions on the influence of others!! You all know who you are!!:D;)

Hey! I resemble that remark! ;) :p :D
And I see you have learned that resistance is futile. :)

Worried about space? Don't. Just get rid of your table saw. You're not going to need it.

Ha! Now that has got to be the funniest statement I have read in a while.

Tim Hughes37
02-01-2010, 2:28 PM
They got me with this one too. After seeing all of the posts on this site and then the deal they were offering, I took the plunge. It will be here next week.

charlie knighton
02-01-2010, 3:49 PM
Originally Posted by David Walser http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1309691#post1309691)

Ha! Now that has got to be the funniest statement I have read in a while.

John, David is almost correct, table saw makes a great place to stack stuff on.

John, congrats on your new lathe, enjoy