PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations for beginners

Matt Stiegler
01-10-2010, 11:10 AM
I was a little horrified to realize that I'm coming up on 3 dozen woodworking books on my shelf, below. ($500 worth of books??) Anyhow, the subject of good books for new folks comes up here a fair bit, so I thought I'd give my two cents on the subject and maybe inspire others to do the same.

My ground rules:
-- I wanted a list of the most helpful books for a beginner, not the best WW books or even my favorite WW books. (Although I couldn't resist giving that too at the end.)
-- I only included books I've actually read. That leaves out a gazillion books including many of the classics.
-- I assumed that most beginners lean toward power tool woodworking rather than hand tools. My list would definitely be different for someone who knew from the get-go s/he wanted to go neander.
-- I've said it here many times, but I'll say it again: the SMC archives have been the single most helpful resource for me, far more than any book.

My Picks:
1. Small Woodworking Shops (http://www.amazon.com/Small-Wdwk-Shops-Best-Woodworking/dp/1561586862/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263139118&sr=8-1), FWW. This little book covers a lot of ground - what tools to buy, how to lay out your shop, dust collection, lighting, and a lot more. Nothing fancy, but for me it was invaluable.
2. Workbenches (http://www.amazon.com/Workbenches-Design-Construction-Popular-Woodworking/dp/1558708405/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263139225&sr=8-1), Schwarz. A mind-bogglingly good book about the most important tool in your shop. Fully lives up to its sub-title: "From design & theory to construction & use."
3. Understanding Wood (http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Wood-REV-Bruce-Hoadley/dp/1561583588/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263139253&sr=1-1), Hoadley. I suspect this book would make more woodworkers' "top 5 books you need" lists than any other. Wood moves, and different woods move differently, and this book explains it all, simply at first and ultimately with more detail than my poor brain could handle.
4. Measure Twice, Cut Once (http://www.amazon.com/Measure-Twice-Cut-Once-Woodworking/dp/155870809X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263139282&sr=1-2), Tolpin. Straightforward coverage of the basics of project design, which tools you need for marking and measuring, and how to use them. Does more showing than telling, which I like.
5. Popular Woodworking (http://www.woodworkersbookshop.com/product/subscription-popular-woodworking-magazine/subscriptions) magazine subscription. Okay, this is cheating, but it is what I'd recommend for a beginner. Every issue I've seen is filled with invaluable info that covers a lot of ground -- technique, finishing, reviews, projects, and a balance of power and hand tool material. It's about to merge with its sister publication Woodworking, and I predict it's only going to get better.

And my five favorite WW books:
1. Workbenches, Schwarz. Blows the doors off the Landis book, IMHO.
2. Handplane Essentials, Schwarz. Blows the doors off the Hack book, IMHO.
3. The Perfect Edge, Hock. Blows the doors off the Lee book, IMHO.
4. Understanding Wood, Hoadley. Doors firmly affixed.
5. Woodworking with the Router, Hylton. An odd choice for me since I rarely use a router, but its just a great book.

Myk Rian
01-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Router Magic, Hylton, is another good read.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking - 3 book set

Dan Friedrichs
01-10-2010, 11:36 AM
1. Workbenches, Schwarz. Blows the doors off the Landis book, IMHO.

Having seen this book recommended frequently here on SMC, I bought it off Amazon without ever having flipped through it in person.

I've got to say - Schwarz's writing style bugs the heck out of me. It seems immature and unrefined. There's a "10 things you must do when building a workbench" chart. "4. You must stay married when building your workbench!". Haha - stupid joke - not funny. The book is just full of stuff that makes me cringe when reading. Anyhow - that's my rant. I suggest you flip through this book in person before buying it.

The best workbench reference I've seen is the "Show me pictures of your workbench" thread here on SMC.

Michael Drew
01-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I found Bill Hylton's Illustrated Cabinet Making very helpful when I started, and I still reference it often.

Matt Stiegler
01-10-2010, 11:44 AM
I suggest you flip through this book in person before buying it.

I think this is a smart suggestion. His writing has a more distinctive "voice" than most others in this genre, and if that voice annoys you it would be a distraction. If you don't have ready access to the book, check out his blog, his posts there will give a good flavor of how he writes.

Mike Henderson
01-10-2010, 12:40 PM
For veneer work, "Woodworker's Guide to Veneering and Inlay" by Jonathan Benson. About $16.50 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Woodworkers-Guide-Veneering-Inlay-Techniques/dp/1565233468/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263144941&sr=8-1).

The best way to learn the basics of veneering is from a person skilled in veneer work. This book is about the best if you can't get in-person instruction.

Mike

Mike Henderson
01-10-2010, 12:45 PM
4. Measure Once, Cut Twice (http://www.amazon.com/Measure-Twice-Cut-Once-Woodworking/dp/155870809X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263139282&sr=1-2), Tolpin.
A book that advocates exactly what I often do.:)

Mike

John A langley
01-10-2010, 12:58 PM
The Workshop Book by Scott Landis

Matt Stiegler
01-10-2010, 1:34 PM
For veneer work, "Woodworker's Guide to Veneering and Inlay" by Jonathan Benson. About $16.50 at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Woodworkers-Guide-Veneering-Inlay-Techniques/dp/1565233468/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263144941&sr=8-1).

Only a woodworker as experienced as you, Mike, would think of a book on veneering and inlay as a top beginner choice.

Bill Geyer
01-10-2010, 1:47 PM
I think every woodworker should read "A Reverence for Wood" by Eric Sloane and I think Tolpin's "Working Wood, A Complete Benchtop Reference" belongs in most every shop.
James Krenov's "A Cabinetmaker's Notebook" is also pretty important.

Brian Loucks
01-10-2010, 2:03 PM
I second for Scott Landis workshop Book, also his workbench book. Lots of great pictures and pearls of information

Victor Robinson
01-10-2010, 3:19 PM
I think it's pretty important to define what one considers a beginner in these types of situations. For example, I may jump on your recs only to be disappointed because the resources listed are too simple or too advanced for my skill level.

Mark Godlesky
01-10-2010, 4:27 PM
I am what I would consider an advanced novice. Here are some I've found helpful.

For powered woodworking

1. FWW's Router Bandsaw Tablesaw: The Complete Guide to the Most Essential Power Tools, Three books in one by Pat Warner, Kelly Mehler and Lonnie Bird
2. Woodworking with the Router by Bill Hylton.

Neandering

1. Hand Tools: Their Ways and Workings by Aldren A Watson, I love the illustrations in this one.

Other

1. The Compete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee, How to sharpen practically anything!
2. Measure Twice, Cut Once: Lessons from a Master Carpenter (http://www.amazon.com/Measure-Twice-Cut-Once-Carpenter/dp/0316004944/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263158366&sr=8-1) . A little philosophy, a little woodworking. I just enjoyed reading this one.

+1 on Popular Woodworking. I like Wood mag as well.

Of course I'd also add SMC. Six bucks a year to be a contributor. So much info, so cheap.

bob frost
01-10-2010, 5:33 PM
Does anyone have a book suggestion for repair and refinishing of furniture?

Mike Henderson
01-10-2010, 5:48 PM
Only a woodworker as experienced as you, Mike, would think of a book on veneering and inlay as a top beginner choice.
Well, for someone who's just beginning to work with veneer, it's a good book.:)

Mike

Richard Andersen
01-11-2010, 2:00 AM
How about suggestions for a table saw book or DVD?

Neal Clayton
01-11-2010, 5:13 AM
modern practial joinery, george ellis, early 1900s.

Mick David
01-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Hand Tool Essentials -- nice collection of articles that covers a wide array of topics -- very good for the beginning woodworker. Pictures and writing are very clear and helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Tool-Essentials-Techniques-Woodworking/dp/1558708154/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263222028&sr=8-1

Joe Cunningham
01-11-2010, 11:11 AM
I might substitute a couple of your choices with these (I'd say I'm an intermediate ww'er, and these helped me the most):

1) Understanding Wood Finishing - Bob Flexner. Most ww'ers seem befuddled by finishing, and 95% of the Q's on SMC-Project Finishing could be answered by a single reading of this book. I start with the finish in mind before I start any project as it impacts the entire wood selection for the project. And I do test panels with early cut-offs from the *same* boards that make up the piece. When it comes time to finish, I am never worried or in doubt about the finished look.

2) Illustrated Cabinetmaking - Bill Hylton. Describes the basic forms of most furniture, and a dizzying array of joinery options. Other books do a great job of explaining how to cut the joinery, how to use your tools, or sharpen them, or what tools to use where, but few show you how to compose your own furniture. Maybe people think that is more advanced than a beginner, but part of ww'ing (IMO) is learning the vocabulary of furniture, and how pieces are composed for a nice end form. Start early I figure. You might not start making your own version of these furniture pieces, but it will help you understand what you are reading in step-by-step projects. It might also help you when picking out projects.

Montgomery Scott
01-11-2010, 12:13 PM
James Krenov - A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, The Impractical Cabinetmaker
Tauton Press - Complete Illustrative Guide Series

Jerome Hanby
01-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. Just bought the set (used) for $19 on Amazon.

Alan Schwabacher
01-12-2010, 1:54 AM
If you are truly beginning, and want a clear and succinct presentation of how wood behaves and what tools you would use to make several nice projects using either power or hand tools, I don't think you can do better than Peter Korn's Woodworking Basics: Mastering the Essentials of Craftsmanship
http://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-Basics-Mastering-Essentials-Craftsmanship/dp/156158620X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263262897&sr=1-1

Another book that is surprisingly good for beginners is David Finck's "Making and Mastering Wood Planes"
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Mastering-Wood-Planes-Printing/dp/061527353X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263263121&sr=1-1
Obviously you need to be interested in handplanes for this to be useful, but it does start at the beginning, and teaches you to use all the tools needed to make handplanes, and how to use them well.

Libraries are very helpful too.

David Gendron
01-12-2010, 2:12 AM
I would had two new books that are great, Made By Hand by Tom Fidge, and The Jointer and Cabinetmaker available at TFWW, tones of great infos.
And of course the same one as Montgomery of Krenov's, espacialy, A Cabinetmaker's notebook!

dan sherman
01-12-2010, 3:03 AM
Classic Joints with Power Tools by Yeung Chan
Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner
Illustrated Cabinetmaking by Bill Hylton

Rick Moyer
01-12-2010, 6:49 PM
I might substitute a couple of your choices with these (I'd say I'm an intermediate ww'er, and these helped me the most):

1) Understanding Wood Finishing - Bob Flexner. Most ww'ers seem befuddled by finishing, and 95% of the Q's on SMC-Project Finishing could be answered by a single reading of this book.

I have this book and agree with the recommendation and the comment. It is well written and easily referrenced.

Stephen Edwards
01-12-2010, 6:58 PM
+1 for James Krenov's "A Cabinetmaker's Notebook". This book is a great read for any craft that a person wishes to pursue.

Van Huskey
01-12-2010, 7:59 PM
How about suggestions for a table saw book or DVD?

A DVD suggestion is Mastering you Tablesaw with Kelly Mehler.

I love books and have a ton of great WW books but as for me learning the basics are always the easiest if you can see it. Plus check your local PBS listings for wood working shows Woodsmith Shop is a good one for a lot of basic tips plus it is free. I have tons of old edisodes saved and will play one when I have nothing better to watch and rarely do I not pick up something I can use.

Matt Stiegler
01-12-2010, 8:51 PM
Something is wrong with me. I just posted about the silly number of books I had bought, and now as a result of this thread I have two new books in my cart (Flexner on finishing and Hylton on cabinetmaking). Thanks for the good suggestions.

I haven't read any of the other commonly mentioned suggestions above (Frid, which I own, Krenov, Landis on workshops), so their omission from my list is no comment on their merits.

As far as table saw books, I have Mehler's book am lukewarm about it. Might be something better out there.

Aldren Watson's hand tool book is highly regarded, but I didn't get all that much out of it.

I'm not certain, but I think there is overlapping material between Handplane Essentials and Handtool Essentials. Might want to be clear on that first if you're considering getting both.

dan sherman
01-12-2010, 9:07 PM
I Really like both these books, as they have a lot more content than fluff (what most books seem to be filled with today).

Something is wrong with me. I just posted about the silly number of books I had bought, and now as a result of this thread I have two new books in my cart (Flexner on finishing and Hylton on cabinetmaking). Thanks for the good suggestions.

Michael Drew
01-12-2010, 9:45 PM
Someone asked for a good finishing book. I like Jeff Jewitt’s book, Great Wood Finishes: A Step-by-Step Guide to Beautiful Results. Which reminds me, I let a friend borrow this book a few months ago and needed it today. </SPAN>

Disclaimer: I absolutely hate finishing. I have no patience for it. But, the book is a good one. For beginner to advanced.

Don Morris
01-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Matt,

You had one suggestion for a beginner DVD. I was thinking that as I came across that post. Since the Table Saw is usually the backbone of our shops, I found the DVD (just available as a video tape when I purchased it) "Mastering Your Table Saw" by Kelly Mehler an invaluable aid when I started out. I've watched some parts of it many, many times over.

Bill Neely
01-13-2010, 2:14 AM
First book that I bought was Cabinetmaking and Millwork by Feirer. It's a classic and a priceless shop book.

Richard Andersen
01-15-2010, 7:14 PM
A DVD suggestion is Mastering you Tablesaw with Kelly Mehler.

I love books and have a ton of great WW books but as for me learning the basics are always the easiest if you can see it. Plus check your local PBS listings for wood working shows Woodsmith Shop is a good one for a lot of basic tips plus it is free. I have tons of old edisodes saved and will play one when I have nothing better to watch and rarely do I not pick up something I can use.

Thanks for the DVD recomendation, I also learn better by seeing something done. What's your thoughts on Kelly Mehler's tablesaw book or Tauntons complete illustrated guide to tablesaws??? For me probably a book with lots of clear photos or picutres would be most helpful.

richard poitras
01-15-2010, 7:58 PM
Someone asked for a good finishing book. I like Jeff Jewitt’s book, Great Wood Finishes: A Step-by-Step Guide to Beautiful Results. Which reminds me, I let a friend borrow this book a few months ago and needed it today. </SPAN>

Disclaimer: I absolutely hate finishing. I have no patience for it. But, the book is a good one. For beginner to advanced.

Jeff Jewitt’s new book and DVD on spray finishing is just out as well… haven’t read it yet but something to consider. Jeff is very smart when it comes to finishing (went to one of his two day seminars)

Karl Card
01-15-2010, 8:57 PM
One of the most important things I have ever been told about woodwrking is that "you are the artist". I used to ask if a pen had to be a certain way or a bowl had to be a certain way and reply was "how do you want it to look?". I then started looking at masters and then looking at my ideas and seeing if we had anything in common...

Dave Cav
01-15-2010, 11:11 PM
First book that I bought was Cabinetmaking and Millwork by Feirer. It's a classic and a priceless shop book.

I agree. Great reference. I was just looking at mine again this afternoon. I just ordered two more copies from Amazon (for one cent each plus shipping!), one for work and one to give to a friend. It's a school shop text so there should be lots around.

Jerome Hanby
01-20-2010, 9:09 AM
Ken,

You were the straw that broke the camel's back. I've seen these books recommended here for quite some time, but your recommendation finally prompted me to get the set.

Great books! Wish I had them five years ago!. Got the 3 volume set for $22.98 (including $3.99 shipping) from an Amazon seller goHastings. The set was immaculate!

Thanks to everyone here for the great suggestion!

Rich Tesoroni
01-20-2010, 10:23 AM
I didn't like the Mehler table saw DVD myself.

What about the new FWW archive DVD? I'm not sure it's really complete, but there's a lot in the old FWW magazines.

Rich

Paul Ryan
01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
+2 on "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner. It is a very very useful book. The most useful book I have purchased. I have learned more from this forum though than any book I have read. This website is worth more than all of your books combined.