PDA

View Full Version : Bowl 4

MIKE E BEE
01-10-2010, 9:42 AM
Hey Guys,

Here are some pics of my 4th bowl.

Solid maple 8" x 2.5"

I am not sure if you can see it in the pic but i went a a little too deep on the inside and just nipped the screws from the face plate. Dammm. Should have glued a piece of scrap on the bottom like someone had suggested. I wasnt planning on going that deep and was planning on flipping it around and taking some off the bottom but when I nipped the screws that plan went out the window. Turn and learn!!!

Thanks for all your critics and pointers on my previous turns. I am in the process of making a donut jig so I can finish my bottoms the proper way. Thanks to whoever posted the picture of that. Very helpful.

Baxter Smith
01-10-2010, 9:59 AM
Pretty design. I am new to bowls so my sense of style and proportion is ?? but my first thought was to make the bowl part larger in proportion to the rolled edge.(Which I like) The glue block would have been a good idea. I just turned something for the first time with one where it helped. Funny how good ideas come after you do something that didn't quite work.:) Since you didn't flip it, you may not have rolled the inside edge to match the outside edge as well - which I think might be neat to do. Now that I've made my comments you've got me thinking about something to try! Thanks for posting. Looks good!

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Interesting form Mike! Looks like you did a good job on tool control, sanding and finishing! Sorry to see that you found out where the screws were located - the hard way! I think that is the first time in turning history that has ever happened! Well, maybe not...... It's how we all learn!

Looking forward to seeing your next bowl!

David E Keller
01-10-2010, 11:51 AM
That's a pretty interesting shape. It kind of looks like a hat to me. Nice job on the finish. You are making good progress.

John Keeton
01-10-2010, 1:09 PM
Mike, that is a beautiful piece of wood, and a really interesting shape. Reminds me of a moon crater! If it is as thin as it looks, you really have some great tool control.

Baxter Smith
01-10-2010, 7:46 PM
Mike – If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, consider yourself flattered! I will post some pics of a bowl I did this afternoon based on looking at your design this morning. You may be even newer to bowls than I am but thanks for helping me see a little differently!

Baxter

MIKE E BEE
01-10-2010, 9:37 PM
Well I am very flattered. Thanks Baxter. Glad to be part of your inspiration and look forward to seeing yours.

MIKE E BEE
01-10-2010, 9:39 PM
Funny that you say that cause when I brought it in to show my girlfriend, she put it on her head. HA HA

MIKE E BEE
01-10-2010, 9:41 PM
Thanks John.

Nice job on the fudge sundae goblet too!! I love that piece.

MIKE E BEE
01-10-2010, 9:43 PM
Thanks Steve,

You can bet that it will never happen though!!

Leo Van Der Loo
01-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Hey Guys,

Here are some pics of my 4th bowl.

Solid maple 8" x 2.5"

I am not sure if you can see it in the pic but i went a a little too deep on the inside and just nipped the screws from the face plate. Dammm. Should have glued a piece of scrap on the bottom like someone had suggested. I wasnt planning on going that deep and was planning on flipping it around and taking some off the bottom but when I nipped the screws that plan went out the window. Turn and learn!!!

Thanks for all your critics and pointers on my previous turns. I am in the process of making a donut jig so I can finish my bottoms the proper way. Thanks to whoever posted the picture of that. Very helpful.

Kind of a smirk on my face here, as yes you did two better than me, I/We have a small Honey Locust salad bowl sitting on the counter here, gets used quite a lot by LOML, it has two dark spots in the bottom, and no I didn't hit no screws, but this goof here pre-drilled the 3 screw holes for whatever reason, as I normally never do that.
Anyway, I never saw no holes and was sanding away, had another look and again, then all of a sudden there were two holes, dangdangdang, sooo, a pretty bowl with 2 holes, got a sliver of Walnut and whittled 2 pegs and hammered them in the holes, cut and sanded it smooth, so now every time I pick that bowl up it reminds me that I do screw-up from time to time, keeps me humble :D :D :D

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Really nice wood and a interesting piece.

charlie knighton
01-11-2010, 4:42 AM
very nice....

David Hostetler
01-11-2010, 5:27 PM
Gee thanks guys... Now I need to go to the shop and start digging for blanks in the corner...

I really like the form on that bowl. Yeah I can see where the screws were (oops...). I ran into a screw with the bowl gouge once. You are lucky if it didn't rip the gouge out of your hand...

Bob Bergstrom
01-11-2010, 6:23 PM
Time to get creative. Use a light colored Sharpie, pen, colored pencils, air brush or whatever. Start putting in some other marks defects, birds eye, edge of a grain line. This bowl has 4 screw holes in the bottom. I used a Sharpie, a blow torch, and a tip of a knife to make lines and stretch out the length of the screw holes. The blow torch was used on the inside to carmelize the inside and emphasize the grain lines. This helped distract the eye from the center. http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/bbergst/IMG_2267.jpg

Baxter Smith
01-11-2010, 7:06 PM
Pretty bowl Bob. I may have found a couple but there is too much other stuff to look at to ever notice. Good Job!