PDA

View Full Version : Scrap pecan keepsake box

Betsy Yocum
10-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Here's my latest installment for the photo police. I've been challenging myself to make some useful things from all those tiny pieces of scrap that I can't seem to make myself throw away. This installment is from a piece of pecan that had tons of checks, etc. after I cut around the defects I had enough for a small 2.5" x 4" x 1.5" keepsake box. I made a slab lid and chamfered the top edges. I'm not terribly excited about how my miters turned out. I also got a bit of polish in the grain in the finger hole:( ---- but overall I think I did ok.

Thanks for looking. :)

Mac McAtee
10-15-2004, 10:52 PM
Nice use of your scrap wood Betsy. Last pile I had went in a tree limb burn pile in the back yard. You certainly have made better use than I. Keep it up and your miters will come along with practice. If you haven't, think about making a 45° miter sled for your table saw.

Jason Tuinstra
10-16-2004, 1:27 AM
Nice use of the pack-rat stuff. I'm the same way and I have so much of it. A lot of it I give to people who burn during the winter but what to do with the small, but not small enough stuff? Thanks for the idea. BTW, from my vantage point, the miters look just fine! Nice job.

Betsy Yocum
10-16-2004, 3:03 AM
Thanks guys - I use a sled with all my cuts - especially for stuff this small - but as I think we've all discovered - its not the equipment - its the user!:rolleyes:
I've still got a lot of practice time ahead of me. But hey - practice making saw dust is practice I can find lots of time for!:D

The problems with my miters I don't think is in the cut - but the assembly - getting stuff this small clamped tight - with small clamps or rubber bands is difficult - that's where I think my miters go wrong.

Thanks for looking!
Betsy

Gredo Goldenstein
10-16-2004, 7:46 AM
You have been turning out some nice boxes. I also seem to have no trouble making the 45 degree cuts, but it's the assembly of the pieces with some slippery glue that screws me up. :rolleyes:

Nice job!

Michael Stafford
10-16-2004, 7:59 AM
Betsy, being critical of your work is the way you improve. We all learn from our mistakes. The mistakes you describe are not readily apparent to anyone else. You will always know what is "wrong" with every project you make. I don't think anyone has made the "perfect" project.

As far as clamping up small boxes and the problems associated with them. If you can get a Ryobi mini-biscuit joiner or the Sears equivalent they greatly help in alignment and reinforce the corners at the same time. I don't know what you used for a bottom but in a small box like that I use 1/8" plywood or hardboard in a groove. If you cut your bottom to fit snugly it will also help to align pieces during the clamping process.

I have made many small boxes using scraps and that is one of main reasons I gravitated to box making as it gives the opportunity to use really small pieces of wood. You also can use highly figured woods that might be unaffordable in larger sizes.

Keep up the good work. Your next box will be even better. You are too hard on yourself. ;)

Betsy Yocum
10-16-2004, 9:09 AM
Betsy, being critical of your work is the way you improve. We all learn from our mistakes. The mistakes you describe are not readily apparent to anyone else. You will always know what is "wrong" with every project you make. I don't think anyone has made the "perfect" project.

As far as clamping up small boxes and the problems associated with them. If you can get a Ryobi mini-biscuit joiner or the Sears equivalent they greatly help in alignment and reinforce the corners at the same time. I don't know what you used for a bottom but in a small box like that I use 1/8" plywood or hardboard in a groove. If you cut your bottom to fit snugly it will also help to align pieces during the clamping process.

Keep up the good work. Your next box will be even better. You are too hard on yourself. ;)
thanks Mike - I to use the 1/8 ply for the bottom. I've not considered the bisquits for the corners as I did not know they made mini biscuit joiners. I'm assuming these are smaller than the "0" biscuits generally used???

Thanks for the compliments - appreciate the support - one thing about this forum - you always get good support, good suggestions and good advice - that's why I keep coming back!:)

Michael Stafford
10-16-2004, 9:13 AM
Betsy, the mini-biscuit joiner I'm referring to uses three sizes of biscuits the largest is 3/4" long and the smallest is about 1/2". Really useful for small boxes. Hard to find the Ryobi version anymore. Sears contunues to sell their version and the biscuits.

Jim Becker
10-16-2004, 10:06 AM
We should all be so diligent with making great projects like this out of our very usable pieces of wood in the shop, Betsy. Nice job!

Charles McKinley
10-16-2004, 8:24 PM
Hi Betsy,

Have you tried laying out the pieces flat and using masking tape to hold the corners during the glue up?

The box looks great from here!

Keith Christopher
10-16-2004, 10:02 PM
I never used to think of making stuff with scraps, but I saw an episode of american woodworker where he made a band saw box from a stack of glued up walnut. Very nice. and inspiring. I love that little box I think it is awesome.

Betsy Yocum
10-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys -

Charles - I start with the tape to hold the box in place then add a rubber band at the top and bottom for some added strength.

So far this is my smallest box - not sure I want to go much smaller - some scraps are just to small to work with - eventually I have to let go of them!:D

Thanks again for the encouragment!:)
Betsy

John Miliunas
10-16-2004, 11:42 PM
Betsy, nice job on the box and inspiring, to boot! :) I've got enough scraps to keep me busy for a long, LONG time, but always have a hard time trying to figure out what to make with them. Yours is a GREAT idea! :) Oh, and I think your miters look just fine! Thanks for the post and pics! :cool:

Joanne Adler
10-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Nice box, Betsy. I love making boxes, too. I use tape, as Charles suggested, and then a band clamp. If you don't have one of these, I highly recommend them for things like boxes. The ones I have have corner pieces to help keep the box corners together at right angles with the miters meeting correctly.

Betsy Yocum
10-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Nice box, Betsy. I love making boxes, too. I use tape, as Charles suggested, and then a band clamp. If you don't have one of these, I highly recommend them for things like boxes. The ones I have have corner pieces to help keep the box corners together at right angles with the miters meeting correctly.
Thanks - Joanne - I actually just picked up 2 web/band clamps - will be giving them a test run in the next day or two. I'll let you know how it turns out. Sure will beat rubber bands I bet.

Betsy

Mike Tempel
10-17-2004, 7:18 AM
Betsy,

That is beautiful. I really like the top and the finish turned out great. I love the color and how it has a nice, soft appearance. Great idea for the top too. I think it turned out great. You have inspired me to look through my scraps and cutoffs to see if I could make one like it. Mind if I steal your idea???:D

Thanks for sharing with us. Mike.

Betsy Yocum
10-17-2004, 9:34 AM
Betsy,

That is beautiful. I really like the top and the finish turned out great. I love the color and how it has a nice, soft appearance. Great idea for the top too. I think it turned out great. You have inspired me to look through my scraps and cutoffs to see if I could make one like it. Mind if I steal your idea???:D

Thanks for sharing with us. Mike.
Mike glad you like the box. I can't take credit for the idea though. I got the idea out of book about boxes. The author's name escapes me now - when I find it I'll let you know. It's a great way to use scraps for sure. The hardest part was cutting safely - definetly need a good sled.

Happy cutting.
Betsy

Jeremy Niemann
10-17-2004, 11:18 PM
I like the simplicity of the fingerhole design.

It might be kind of neat if the box sides were also angled at a 45 bevel to match the center cover, and lineup as a continuous shape when closed.

Betsy Yocum
10-17-2004, 11:22 PM
I like the simplicity of the fingerhole design.

It might be kind of neat if the box sides were also angled at a 45 bevel to match the center cover, and lineup as a continuous shape when closed.
Jeremy - I've got that written down for the next one - I'll let you know how it turns out.

Betsy