PDA

View Full Version : Using the internet as a source for watching TV

Larry Browning
01-10-2010, 9:18 AM
Does anyone have any experience with getting watchable video content from the internet streamed to your TV?
This is a very interesting subject to me. I currently do not have a fancy HDTV, just an old analog tv hooked up to cable, but am doing research on and off looking for just the right setup, balancing price, performance and features. I am hoping to buy around summer, if all the stars can align properly by then.

Anyway, I have a pretty good broadband internet connection that I am hoping to better utilize in the future. Streaming video from sources like Netflix, and CinemaNow, as well as Hula, and the major networks, really interests me. I found a website called Clicker.com that seems to sort of bring several sources together, so that you don't have to go all over the place to find shows. I have been watching shows from the major networks on my pc in HD that look pretty amazing, even in full screen mode. The picture is way better than I get on my TV, No fuzzyness or jerky motion at all. Plus, I can watch missed episodes any time, with shorter commercials! The only problem is that I have to watch these in my office, rather than in the living room.

It seems there are many options for hooking a living room TV to the internet these days. Most of the major HDTV manufactures are making devices like bluray players and home theater receivers that connect to internet video sources. Then there are the set top boxes like the one made by Roku. Then I discovered that they make a specialized PC called a media PC or home theater PC, that is housed in a specialized case that looks like a stereo component, and has a wireless keyboard (this really sounds like it might be fun or a major pain if it doesn't work well).

My head is spinning with all these choices, I really don't know which way to go. Does anyone have thoughts, experience, or recommendations on which way to go?

Scott Shepherd
01-10-2010, 9:44 AM
Larry, this past week was the Consumer Electronic Show where all the new products were launched and this product seemed to be at the top of the list on every website I saw about it. I've never seen one, never used on (they are coming out soon), but from what everyone was raving about, it might be what you're looking for.

It's called the boxee box and it's made by d-link. You can go to boxee dot tv/box . Looks pretty powerful.

Chris S Anderson
01-10-2010, 9:51 AM
I've streamed netflix movies (not superr great selection), I've watched Family Guy on Hulu, and I've watched Lost from the NBC website. I have also downloaded a dozen or so movies.

What I am missing are the local newscasts, some cooking shows I watch with my wife, and the billion commercials I have to endure.

I think I would make the trade off and ditch cable and just watch things from my internet connection if I could get some more local programming, and have a sleek setup.

Currently, I have a new laptop which I use for the majority of my non-cable watching, and it can hook up to my 42inch flat tv haning on the wall, but then there is a cable showing and, of course, there is the laptop sitting by the tv, and it doesnt look good. If I could get that cable and laptop hidden, and insure that I would get most of the shows I want to watch, and I could do it with a remote, I would.

Getting off the couch to hit play or to find and type what I want to watch is a chore I don't want to go through when I get home from work and just want to mindlessly watch some tv on the couch.

Robert Parrish
01-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Larry, take a look at Apple TV. I use it to download movies, tv shows and most importantly woodworking podcast! You don't have to own an Apple computer but you do need a wifi network on your computer. You can either buy or rent movies and tv shows plus there are a log of free stuff available on youtube.

Gerold Griffin
01-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Larry: Awhile back I asked what it would take in reguard for using a computer tied in to a entertainment system. Check this out.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=127039
This will give you an idea on what kind of computer you may want to get. If you want to use your existing computer that can probably also be done but you may end up getting a new tv. Not sure about all this new technology.
I don't know if they will this year or not but last year around this time Best Buy had a big sale going on. We got in towards the end of it and got a package deal on a Samsund LCD tv and Blue Ray. The Blue Ray was out of stock so they upgraded it. Picked out a new entertainment center an lo and behold it was out of stock to. Another free upgrade at the same SALE price. Sometimes ya just get lucky!! Just keep an eye out and you may get a better price without having to wait untill sping.

Larry Browning
01-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the replies!
I was aware of Boxie. I think it started as an open source application that is designed to be installed on a home theater pc. As best I can tell, it is kind of a replacement for Windows Media Center. I had also read about the new Boxie cube (hardware). This seems pretty interesting.

One question I have about streaming video. My PC monitor is a 22" widescreen led. This produces a pretty high quality image on my PC in fullscreen mode. Is it possible to get just as good of an image on a 46" HDTV from streaming video?

Robert McGowen
01-10-2010, 12:29 PM
The kids (okay, 19 year old twins) have an X-box 360. We stream movies from Netflix all the time without any issues at all. Netflix has several TV series in their selections also. You use the X-box remote to control things from the couch. Now if I could just get my wife to bring me something to eat while sitting there................

Harry Hagan
01-10-2010, 1:51 PM
With no other options, I recently resorted to streaming video to watch UK claim another victim.

Currently 15 – 0

Go Big Blue!

Larry Rupert
01-12-2010, 6:41 AM
I built up a small shuttle system, wireless radio keyboard with built in trackball.

Sit on my couch, use my big screen LCD tv as a monitor, stream video, watch Hulu all the time, check email, etc.... Fantastic set up.

Works fine with wireless, or wired. If you go wireless, be aware you need a pretty good / strong connection for video. My wireless access was very close, but without buffering, wouln't have been ok I think. I now have it wired - Love IT! Larry

Jeffrey Makiel
01-12-2010, 7:07 AM
Larry...I don't know if the word 'fancy' belongs in front of the word 'HD' anymore. Standard size HD TVs (42", 46" and 52") are becoming very inexpensive and can be found at almost any discount retail store.

And, two leading cable TV providers in my area are now pumping 80+ HD channels as part of their basic package line up. I suspect that we will only be able to get HD signal in the near future as the standard. Also, the base bundles have 400+ channels and on-demand.

For about $15 a month, I have the movie package. This is not Showtime or HBO, but rather 15 movie channels like IFC, Flix, Encore, etc. that show a variety of nonstop, uncut, commercial uninterupted, movies. I can honestly say that there is always something to watch now.

I've found that watching anything over the computer with decent quality requires a good broadband connection. Again, the leading cable companies in my area package TV, phone and internet into one bundle such that you buy two, the third is free. I'm not sure where that leaves internet TV as an economical alternative. Perhaps it's just a matter of having more choices.

-Jeff :)

Sean Troy
01-12-2010, 8:39 AM
With no other options, I recently resorted to streaming video to watch UK claim another victim.

Currently 15 – 0

Go Big Blue!

That would be 16-0 wouldn't it? :)

Brad Wood
01-13-2010, 12:30 PM
The kids (okay, 19 year old twins) have an X-box 360. We stream movies from Netflix all the time without any issues at all. Netflix has several TV series in their selections also. You use the X-box remote to control things from the couch. Now if I could just get my wife to bring me something to eat while sitting there................

Yep, that works pretty well. I'm disappointed in the Netflix selection overall though.

I've also got Windows Media Center setup on my main PC, so I'm sort of starting to go down the path of learning what I can do with that... the Xbox connects the the Media Center PC, so whatever I can get to that PC I should be able to watch downstairs on the xbox.

Harry Hagan
01-13-2010, 1:00 PM
That would be 16-0 wouldn't it? :)

Went to 17-0 last night.

Go Big Blue!

Chuck Stewart
01-14-2010, 8:14 AM
I can not vouch for the safety of this site, but several weeks ago I watched "The Blind Side" which was not even out in the theaters. Looks like they link to sites that have the stream. Good quality stream and I suffered no ill effects. Their advertising on the homepage needs a little work though because it say's "spread the word" then under that it says "spread the infection" The site was projectfree dot tv