PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you DON't like about your shop/lathe

Mike Minto
01-10-2010, 8:39 AM
My shop (AKA, The Wood Hut) is too small - 14x10; it just comfortably accomodates my 6 main machines. I have an 8x10 extension on it, but since the ground slopes down considerably at where that begins, it has a door that can only be accessed by going out of the main 'hut'. Not a big problem, but annoying at times. That, and my shop floor is wood on joists - still need to built those concrete piers for my lathe's feet :o.

Matt Hutchinson
01-10-2010, 8:53 AM
Lol, man, I don't know where to start!

My shop building was built almost 100 years ago, so basically everything having do with the structure needs help. It has carriage doors that look like they belong on a haunted house, and the cement slab undulates in the shape of a 'W'. If I had the money I would bulldoze it, pour a new slab, and build a new, slightly bigger one.

I like both my lathes, but neither have VFDs, which would be great. My big lathe is underpowered for what I like to turn on it, and it doesn't have a usable taper in the headstock shaft. The NOVA 1622-44 lathe is fun, but the design of the drive system leaves something to be desired. I'm fairly pleased with it though.

Hutch

Dan Forman
01-10-2010, 8:53 AM
My shop (my sister calls it "The Kingdom" is also too small - imagine that! When I see folks with nice big assembly areas, I tend to start coveting. Getting full sheets of ply and MDF down there isn't a lot of fun, but then having a cool work place in the summer and relative warmth in the winter is a good thing.

The one major flaw is the leak in the space - time continuum, which allows the hours to slip away much too quickly. Wish I could find that leak. Would epoxy be effective in plugging it?

Dan

Jim Underwood
01-10-2010, 8:54 AM
The main thing I don't like about my shop is that it's piled up with junk.

How's that happen?:p

Actually the biggest thing right now is no insulation and it's darn cold at 16°F right now... The other thing is that there are no windows for circulation in the summer.

I want build an addition for my compressor and dust collector to keep the noise down, but my original 8x16 plan is going to get shelved. Costs too much. I may drop back to an 8x8....

And the other thing is that the shop plan hasn't been carried out. It's just been carried around in my head for the last 5 years... I take too many projects on, that need to get finished.

Can I quit my day job?

Greg Just
01-10-2010, 8:59 AM
Shop- Not wide enough 13x20. A couple extra feet on the width would help alot. It is in the basement so access can be a problem with larger items.

Lathe - would like electronic speed control rather than reeves variable speed, but it works and with a little maintenance it has served me well. Someday I will upgrade, but a $5k lathe won't improve my output very much - experience will!

Jack Mincey
01-10-2010, 9:06 AM
I love my shop that I finished last summer and love my lathe. The only problem with it so far is that having it in the back yard is making going to work very hard. If all goes well, 2 1/2 years from now and that will be taking care of as well.:)
Jack

Joseph M Lary
01-10-2010, 9:25 AM
Will I got heat in it this year,it has helped with the below 0 temps ,it is 16X24 ,1/2 of my Garage .blocked off with some tarps to keep in the heat.going to put in a 12' wood wall and get rid of 1/2 of the tarps to try to save on the heat loss till I finish insulation in the rest of the garage Its been a work in progress for the last few years and have made some major changes.I guess the thing I dont like the most are the cars parked in it and my wife isnt going to give up her space in the garage,so Ill deal with it. I only park on my side when its real cold and clean enough to get it in. :D

Keith Harrell
01-10-2010, 9:45 AM
Size, Size. It's a 20x20 shop that was suppose to hold my ATV and other garden items along with being my shop. Needless to say the ATV sits out under a cover and the garden equipment never made it in.
It has a poured floor which is great and is insulated more than I planned on but the building code required it thank goodness as I love it now.
It has it''s own meter so power is not a problem.
I would have beefed up the ceiling more to install a power lift device I think as wood blanks are getting heavy now.
I also build furniture so it full of other big heavy toys also.
I would like an addition four feet as some of the 4x8 panels got cut and wasted. Bigger is better until you have to heat or cool it so a catch 22 I guess.
1. Size
2. Lack better Insulation
3. Conduit in the floor for wiring
4. Stronger ceiling
Lathe is to new(3 months) so it's to new or I'm to new to have issues yet.

Michael Gibbons
01-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Well the lathe is a Ridgid from Home Depot. I don't know if they still sell them. It looks like older Craftsman models. It works but is much too light. Instead of a flat bed, it has a pipe that the tailstock rides on and the tailstock is hard to tighten against the workpeice because it doesn't have a crank type handwheel like most lathes. The shop a.k.a. the basement is o.k although carrying tools and supplies up and down gets to be a pain. All tools and materials were carried down there by your truly except the Unisaw which I had help with from a neighbor kid. It's like a man-cave. Hunting room, stereo, woodshop, exercise area and drumset (I suck), beverage cooling/staging area. Bathroom is at the top of the stairs so that's not a major problem.

Reed Gray
01-10-2010, 12:06 PM
I did see the perfect place in the papers before I bought my current house (920 sq ft house, 24 by 36 shop): 28 acres, 1800 feet of river frontage, year round stream, bass ponds, 3 houses, multiple outbuildings, 10,000 sq. ft. shop. Of course, they didn't list a price, but, that place would have covered just about everything. I would really like a couple of acres, and about 2,000 ft of shop. I would like to design and build my own lathes (bowl turning lathe with 5 hp motor and a spindle lathe) and bandsaw.

robo hippy

David E Keller
01-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Detached two car garage so proximity to the house is good, but that's where the good ends.

No heat or A/C which are both required in this part of the world... Especially the heat as it's been in the single digits the last few weeks. No insulation makes heating or cooling impossible for now.

It does have a full size fridge with a selection of cold beverages.:D

My little boy's "tools" take up some space along with yard stuff.

I'm currently looking for a new space, but who knows when or if that will ever happen?

Paul Atkins
01-10-2010, 3:14 PM
I thought 24x40 would be huge until I started getting all this equipment and generating nice scraps. 5 lathes, TS, jointer, planer, 20" bandsaw, Legacy mill, a Shopsmith, a workbench, a player piano project, boxes of turning stock, and a baby's arm holding an apple. Jim, you are not alone. Too much 'junk' that might have a use some day. Maybe if I had a woodstove in there lots of it would disappear. No heat or Air and no bathroom or plumbing are other complaints. Gravel drive instead of concrete. The plusses overbalance the negs. though.

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2010, 3:21 PM
Paul hit the nail on the head. I have a 24 X 40 shop. Walls insulated to R-28 and ceiling R-38. Anyway my problem is to much stuff. I am going to start cleaning house and sell some of that STUFF. I sat down the other day and I am as bad as my dad. I keep everything. So there will be a shop cleaning come spring.

curtis rosche
01-10-2010, 3:26 PM
well, my shop is new, only 4 years old, but its not all mine and i have to clean up the mess i make. the shop is always very humid because the truck gets parked in it and when there is snow or rain on it the humidity goes up more, making it a little harder to keep wood "dry".

i have no tool rack, i just put the tools in a box, or under the lathe bed.
the bushings on my lathe are starting to go, there is to much wiggle room to do larger peice because of the vibrations. the speed is to fast which also makes the motor underpowered.
i have no bandsaw or chainsaw that i can use to cut blanks down to size with, so for now i an stuck with a junky hand saw or drilling holes along the line to be cut and then pulling out a chisel.
the drill press that i use to drill a recces for the chuck is right next to the work bench, which makes it so that everything on the bench gets covered with woodchips and that is hard to clean up around everything.
no shelves for wood storage, so i just pile stuff up,,,,

i could keep going, but i wont,

Keith Palmer
01-10-2010, 6:20 PM
My shop is 24'x24', but half of that is taken up with my other hobby, Hotrods. The cieling is also too low, only 7'. There is no dividing wall, I just keep my Chevelle covered to keep the dust off. The wood and car stuff don't work well together, I would really like to make a lean-to addition to the back that would be 14 x 32 and make that the wood shop to keep it away from the car stuff.

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2010, 6:55 PM
About the only couple of things I don't like about my basement shop is the stairs - which makes it real hard to get some items either into the shop - or out of it! Other thing is the lack of natural lighting.

John Trax
01-10-2010, 8:17 PM
I thought I had it bad with 11 x 20 but after seeing what some of you are working with I guess I can't complain.

Still way too small for me. The shop at my old house was 28 x 40 though I shared it with the car & other junk. Moving into 11 x 20 forced some tough choices on major machines. I managed to squeeze most things in and sold the rest, then got sucked into this turning thing and had to find room for a lathe. Dust collection & compressor are in the same room as well.

I am hoping to replace the building in a few years. Already drawing sketches. I think I can fit 18 x 35 within the boundaries.

Gary Kvasnicka
01-10-2010, 8:19 PM
I sound like a broken record, my shop is also small 12 x 24. This week being uninsulated and unheated is a bigger issue. I don't have any problems with my lathe.

Jim Silva
01-10-2010, 9:01 PM
My shop is 28 mi from my home so late nite inspiration or after dinner tinkering is not gonna happen. The wood shop is 30x30 so size isn't bad, just wish it had a wooden floor. Concrete in the winter hurts my legs. No complaints about the DVRxp but I fear the planer hasn't got long for this world and it's a big'un so I'm not looking forward to replacing it.

My home "shop" is somewhat laughable. It's approx 6' x 8' and located under the cellar stairs. Drill press, grinder, Rikon mini and a big snap-on toolchest make for very little breathing room. It does have a dust collector (located in the next room) and close proximity to the bathroom so it's not all bad lol.

Dave Halter
01-10-2010, 9:23 PM
Too small a space for the amount of tools I've shoved into it and no dust collection, but the worst aspect of my basement shop is a severe lack of available power. My Jet 1642 runs off a 100' 20amp extension cord that goes through the finished part of the basement to the far end of the house.

dennis kranz
01-10-2010, 9:28 PM
Shop is 12 X 16, not very big but all I do is turning. Small Air unit for summer don't need a heater. 1642-2 Jet is all I will ever need.
Dennis

Curt Fuller
01-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Mine would be just about perfect if I didn't have to share it with 2 cars, a lawnmower, rototiller, snowblower, and 37 years of other stuff.

Allen Neighbors
01-10-2010, 11:01 PM
What I don't like about my shop? Open eaves, and all the stuff like lawnmower, bed to refinish, bench to rebuild, other stuff that a packrat hangs onto, no DC.
What I love about it, is that it's 20x40, in the back yard, and all mine.
There is nothing that I don't like about my lathes. OW1640 and VL100 Benchmodel.
I'm a very fortunate man.... :)

Wally Dickerman
01-11-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm one the many who suffer from a shop that's too small. My previous shop was 20 x 40. When we moved to Arizona I knew that my new, very small shop wouldn't accomodate all of the tools and machinery that I had in my large shop. I sold everything that didn't pertain to turning. TS, Joiner, shaper, etc. The upside is that there is a nearby community woodshop that has all of those things available to use if needed.

I love my lathe. It's a 2416 Oneway with an outboard bed and a tailstock swinger. I do most of my bowl and HF turning on the outboard side. I got the shortbed lathe because of my small shop. I haven't felt a need to turn any baseball bats lately so the shortbed works well for me.

Wally

Mike Peace
01-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Mine is a basement shop, 16X45 with three windows and a walkout door. The basement has AC in summer and heat in winter. My shop is not shared with any other large toys or autos. The electrical is good including 220 for my PM3520b. The ceilings are about 9'.

Wait a minute! What's not to like? Well I do have to sweep the shavings and sawdust of the steps going upstairs every now and then.

Dave Schell
01-11-2010, 11:39 AM
My shop is in a 40' x40' barn. I get half of that space. The other half is hay storage for horses. Here are my complaints:

It is uninsulated and way too big of a space to heat - I can turn on a kerosene heater for hours and it doesn't raise the temperature even one degree - it all just goes out the ridge vent in the very high roof.

Hay is very dusty. My tools are always caked with dust. I resorted to covering everything with canvas tarps when I'm not in there.

However, my biggest complaint is that I can't make any improvements to the barn. The farm has been rezoned commercial for yet another shopping center and we will eventually be forced off of it. We are in a holding pattern that could be a year or ten years - no way to tell. Any improvements I make to my shop will eventually be bulldozed.

But other than that, life is good and love to be out there working! :-)

Mauricio Ulloa
01-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey,

I moved to a new house and so is my toolshop. I used to have a little barn of 12 by 10 but two stories high. I'm building a single floor 13 x 25 toolshop where I'll have a lot more space. What I don't like is that I don't have money to build the second floor and that it will be made in metal. I can't afford to have wooden walls anymore....!

Duff Bement
01-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Biggest complaint is no AC. Not much time to turn in the summer anyway. The other bad part is it is 150' from the house and that is a long walk at -15 degrees. It is 20x30 with 9' ceilings. Plenty of room but all that does is allow me collect more junk. No complaints about my lathe which is Conover that I just converted to a 2hp DC motor with variable speed. (By far the best time and money ever spent).

Mac Carlton
01-13-2010, 11:37 PM
If any of you guys have a smock then your shop just became your studio. Therfor everything you sell from now on you can get more money for. At least thats what I was told. My studio is to small no matter what size it is,and I think I could fill it up with stuff no matter how big it was. My lathe grizzly 1220 vari speed and don't get me started on it. Lets just say I could not recomend it to an enemy much less a friend. And I told that to Grizzly.

Reed Gray
01-14-2010, 1:32 AM
I have a couple of smocks, one that I use in the shop, and a nice one I use for demos. No one will ever mistake my shop for a studio. Borrowing a quote from another turner (Roger Michaelson, now passed away), "you know it is time to clean up the shop when you have to get down on your knees to turn." Shavings every where, even when it is cleaned up.

robo hippy

alex carey
01-14-2010, 1:38 AM
all I have is a lathe in my "shop" which is actually a 2 car garage, which is taken up by a trailer and a whole bunch of other stuff. Hardly any room for me. I actually have to alter a table to have wheels so I could move it when I want access to my lathe.

As you can see the only room I have is between the curtain and the lathe, kind of sucks sometimes.

Though, I think my biggest complaint is not having a bandsaw, I really don't enjoy roughing stock, even if I take a chainsaw and knock off all the corners, still sucks.

Gary DeWitt
01-14-2010, 2:10 AM
Alex! You might consider closed shoes, keeps out the chips. Last time I wore sandals to turn, I dropped a sharp tool far too close to my foot.

My shop is just the right size for me, 1/2 of a two car garage, about 8 x 16 or so. I manage to fit a hybrid TS, BS, DP, 30x85 workbench, 1 1/2 hp trashcan sized dust collector and, oh yeah, 16x42 General and Delta mini lathes and grinder. Of course, when the car is in, it JUST fits between all the machines. Not much room to dance, either, and the car has to go during any large projects. Also, I share both side walls with neighbors, so noise can be an issue at times.

I like both my lathes mostly. The Delta just buffs nowadays. The General has too small a footprint from front to back, too susceptible to vibration in spite of major ballast if you ask me. I'm going to attach some outriggers to it one of these days. Developed a strange knocking noise recently but that turned out to be a loose pulley, stopped when I tightened it up. I really like the power, capacity, VS, movable headstock on it though! On balance, I'm happy with my setup, and consider myself a lucky guy.

Jeff Nicol
01-14-2010, 6:06 AM
Well my shop is my 2 car garage 24x24 with a 7x14 addition on the back that will eventually house the CNC router I am working on. I have 3 lathes PM3520b, Delta 46-460 and my original generic chinese built 12x36 with retrofited VFD and 1hp motor. Then of course all the other shop tools table saw, jointer, 16" planer, 14" BS, drill press, belt/disc sander combo, scrollsaw, oscillating sander, small metal lathe, small metal mill, good dust collector and hand power tools everywhere!

The negatives are it is not big enough and the ceiling would be nice at 10' instead of 7.5'. I also have a 36x42 shed out in the country with my sawmill and tractor and other forestry stuff.

Yes I am spoiled!

Have fun with what you have, no matter what!

Jeff

Glenn Weathington
01-14-2010, 2:58 PM
At 12.5' by 12.5' my lathe 'shop' is a dedicated room in a 24 X 48 out building. All four walls and the ceiling are insulated, but I have no heat or AC. I just wear appropriate clothing for the weather and in the summer I set a box fan in each of the two windows for a decent breeze. It could use dual pane windows,a space heater, a window mounted AC unit, a larger capacity bandsaw, at least a dust deputy for my shop vac, a better work bench set-up, more storage, more lighting, trim molding around the four foot wide shop-built door and most definitely my shop could use an upgrade to 220 volt electrical service.

My modded Rikon mini with extension on the other hand is fine- AFTER I changed what I didn't like about it, of course. I have been thinking of fabricating riser blocks to increase the swing to 14-15 inches. A lathe with more capacity and more power would be nice to have,though.:)

David Hostetler
01-14-2010, 5:02 PM
Like so many others here, space is my biggest issue with my shop. I am in an 18x20 alleged 2 car garage with a sloping floor making the ceiling height 8' at the common wall to the house, and 8' 6" at the rollup doors. I have no storage over the rollup doors, there is no real space to the sides of the rollup doors to speak of, and this space is shared with all my lawn and garden, and BBQ equipment and supplies, not to mention it doubles as as staging area for building materials as I do home repair / renovation. If I could get the rest out of my shop, it would still be smallish, but MUCH more workable. The next biggest issue I have is power. I REALLY need to bring at least a 100 amp sub panel in here!

Tony Greenway
01-14-2010, 6:56 PM
Let me say first off that, as a professional cabinetmaker with a nicely equipped shop at home, I am truly blessed. I get to work with wood all day-everyday. My building is 40x75 and sits about 400' down the hill from my house, so on pretty days, I can even walk to work. Another pert is that I get to have turning time with my 13 yr old son, Max. Sometimes I have to be working while he turns, but we're still there together.:D:D

Okay, now my shop complaints, not enough turning time and NO AC!! Now I know you guys out west are used to those 115 degree days and are probably calling me a wimp, but this southern humidity is a killer.

Les Kuesel
01-14-2010, 7:05 PM
My shop s about 26X16 (in side a pole shed) divided by 3 rooms. One room is unheated and uninsulated 14x16 that has my tablesaw, bandsaw, dust collector, air compresor, wood storage, chopsaw and a variety of other things. I made two rooms out of the other 12x16 (8x12). I have it insulated well and rewired (still working on what kind of heat I want) One room I use only for lathe and sanding work and the other is my finishing and puttering around room. I really like having the lathe and sanding room separate just for being able to mostly contain the dust. I have my dust collector piped in. Heat and having more time turning is what I need.

Pat Zabrocki
01-14-2010, 7:07 PM
My shop is in the basement but its just me in the house so its pretty big, which I like, but the dust gets places it shouldn't and I'm probably sprawling out too much. That will make giving up that space a little difficult when I finish the basement.

What I really, absolutely, and completely hate about my lathe is not being able to stand next to it often enough... ;)

cheers
pat

Les Kuesel
01-14-2010, 7:15 PM
My shop s about 26X16 (in side a pole shed) divided by 3 rooms. One room is unheated and uninsulated 14x16 that has my tablesaw, bandsaw, dust collector, air compresor, wood storage, chopsaw and a variety of other things. I made two rooms out of the other 12x16 (8x12). I have it insulated well and rewired (still working on what kind of heat I want) One room I use only for lathe and sanding work and the other is my finishing and puttering around room. I really like having the lathe and sanding room separate just for being able to mostly contain the dust. I have my dust collector piped in. Heat and having more time turning is what I need.

Scott Lux
01-15-2010, 9:52 AM
My "shop" is a corner of the garage. Ok, it's a 12 X 10 corner.

Complaints:
Dust covers everything in the garage, esp when working Cedar or Mahogany.
Not much room to store wood.
Unheated

My Lathe(s) are a 7X10 Wilton mini, and a 10X16 Rockler Excelsior VS.

Complaints:
Low speeds are too fast (500 and 750)
Not much hp

Both are EVS. I LOOOVE adjusting speed minute amounts to eliminate dancing

Bryan Morgan
01-15-2010, 4:00 PM
I have a two car garage with a car and a truck in it and a full size washer and dryer. Its only 21'x21' so all my tools are shoved up against walls and I have to back out both vehicles to do anything "serious". I'd leave them outside but my truck already got stolen once so I'm not going through that again. I rearrange the place every couple months and while it seems better, it never really is. My bandsaws current position is right next to the side door so I have to lock it if I use the tool, otherwise if someone opens it when I'm standing there I'm going into the blade. I have plenty of room in the back yard that I could expand the garage (its an L shaped floorplan) but even in this economy the increased house value would kill me in taxes once they re-appraise the house.

Irby Vaughn
07-07-2013, 5:27 PM
May as well throw in my 3 cents worth (I got paid). I have an older Central Machinery 14" x 42" wood lathe I've used for a while and lately had a need to make a few small wooden goblets for a close friend.. After unsuccessfully trying to use a 4-jaw chuck at the head end and having much difficulty keeping the wood in the chuck--I decided it was time to buy a smaller lathe, and after reading stuff on this site, I decided to purchase an Excelsior Mc1018 mini lathe. It arrived earlier in the week and I assembled it and tested it today. Very smooth operation with the spur center after I drilled small hole at the center of the headstock to allow the point to go into the work before the spurs did to keep from splitting the wood . And with a slight tap with a chisel 4 times to have the spurs to get a grip, all worked well. Before I turned the stock from round to square, I rounded off the 90 degree edges with my joiner by using a homemade jig to hold the work so the point of the 90 degree edge was pointed down and the blades flattened the edge slightly. I know a reader told me not to do this, but square corners on purple heart would no doubt chip as soon as the roughing tool hit it. And after repeated 90 degree turns and 45's and 22.5's etc. , it had about 16 flats around and then I put it on the lathe and using a very sharp gouge, the purpleheart shaved like balsa wood...Hey...works for me. I started with the slowest speed and moved up to high speed, all worked well and I am sold on the MC1018 excelsior for my purposes...Irby Vaughn, Olympia, WA (Incidentally I bought the lathe from Rockler for $269.00 tax included)

Prashun Patel
07-07-2013, 6:46 PM
I wish my shop, lathe, and dc were all larger.

Dan Masshardt
07-07-2013, 7:20 PM
Dislikes: no electronic variable speed on the lathe. No dust collector currently.

Rich Harkrader
07-07-2013, 7:44 PM
My Grizzly G0462 doesn't have a hand wheel. WTF?!? My PSI Turncrafter Commander 12" has a "spindle lock" that doesn't actually lock the spindle. Again WTF?!?

Rich;)

Tim Leiter
07-07-2013, 8:32 PM
I'll join in "my shop is too small." It is not attached to the house and I have too many tools for the space, 16' X 20'. I have a jet mini I converted to vs, a HF 95607 that I added a handwheel to, (it works great for pens). I have a Shopsmith 10e for use as a 12" disc sander, too small a table saw, horizontal boring and drill press and is nice for the larger lathe length. I also have a 1952 Craftsman "old arn" 10" table saw, Grizzly 14" band saw, Craftsman drill press, Rikon 4" belt and 6" disc sander, dust collector ontop of a large plastic barrel with 4" runs to each tool area, large shelf unit for wood blanks and cupboards covering most of the wall space, pegboard where I can, 20 gal air compressor, Porter Cable nailer air compressor, Century MIG welder, Craftsman double decker tool chest, two tool grinders, Wolverine sharpening set up and many, many hand and power tools. It has no AC and might as well say no heat in the winter. I love it in there even though it is cramped and I love all my tools............Tim.

Jeff Nicol
07-08-2013, 9:12 PM
Matt, Your shop has such character and charm! Is it any more organized since the last time I was there? I think your bride still has a list of things to do on and in the house before you get a new shop, but maybe some of your big stuff will sell for the big bucks to get the nice new shop!

Jeff

Lol, man, I don't know where to start!

My shop building was built almost 100 years ago, so basically everything having do with the structure needs help. It has carriage doors that look like they belong on a haunted house, and the cement slab undulates in the shape of a 'W'. If I had the money I would bulldoze it, pour a new slab, and build a new, slightly bigger one.

I like both my lathes, but neither have VFDs, which would be great. My big lathe is underpowered for what I like to turn on it, and it doesn't have a usable taper in the headstock shaft. The NOVA 1622-44 lathe is fun, but the design of the drive system leaves something to be desired. I'm fairly pleased with it though.

Hutch

Jeff Holoboski
07-08-2013, 11:31 PM
My shop is 12x14 it's small but came with the purchase of the house-will be adding on in the near future.I put a new roof on two years ago and my brother in law added electric and lighting last summer which feels like luxury items...my new G0658 lathe which I love sits on a 36" tall bench which puts the head stock at about 50" which is too high for my 5'10 frame so I am building a new lathe bench for it.Oh and I'm adding insulation to the roof and putting in a small wall ac next week.So some things I hate but soon will be in love with my upgrades...

ed hoxter
07-09-2013, 10:47 PM
its not a powermatic !! ed

Ian James Webster
07-10-2013, 5:47 PM
All the sawdust!!!!!!!!
and the fact that I have to leave it every day to go to work.

Rex Guinn
07-12-2013, 8:56 AM
My shop is small 24 x 9 1/2, but it is ok by me if I want to use the table saw it's done in the garage or rolled outside on the driveway.
But for turning it's great. The dust collection is in the atic above the shop but have not run the ducting yet.
I am happy with it. has a window air conditioner and gas heat in the winter. My better half says I don't keep it clean and things put away so this week we spent a whole day cleaning and another whole day on the garage. JUST HAVE TO KEEP IT THAT WAY NOW. She will not help me again.

Love my PM and my Rikon 18" bandsaw.

Scott Hackler
07-12-2013, 9:57 AM
Even though I earmarked and framed in a 15x30 section of our three car garage for my wood shop, it's too small. One of the reasons is that I need wood storage (expecially 4x8 sheets of plywood and such) and more room to have a dedicated location for various tools (planer, jointer..they are stored and moved to sit on top of the table saw as needed.). It is fully insulated and heated/cooled, so I do have that and LOVE that aspect. If I was only doing turnings, it would be just about right. But I still do quite a bit of flat work and there is just enough room to store (on it's side)4x8 sheets of plywood (but then I can't get to whats behind it) and still have room to run them through the table saw. I have thought, seriously, about adding on (doubling).

I would also like to have plumbed dust collection at all the stationary machines and if my attension wasn't drawn to the lathe so much I would have bought the PVC and started running that!

My neighbor is a cabinent maker and has a 40x60 wood shop with a small single car garage framed up for a jeep and motorcycle..in the corner of this shop. ALL the permanent tools in their own place and says he desparately needs more space. 1) a spray room with elevated floor and exhast pulling down into the floor and out and 2) storage for lumber. He was thinking about adding a 40x40 section on the rear. I guess everyone thinks their shop isn't large enough. :)

Richard Jones
07-12-2013, 3:39 PM
What I don't like about my shop is that it is water in it right now....................:(

Ryan Mooney
07-12-2013, 4:51 PM
and the fact that I have to leave it every day to go to work.

Mostly this.. the rest I could work on more if it wasn't for this :D

Space of course (large 2 car, but when is it ever really big enough :D)
I'd like to add a VS mini or midi at some point for small stuff.
I should add a chip deflector curtain around the lathe.. that would help some.
To hot for the last couple of weeks (much over 90 and it starts getting to much for me anymore).