PDA

View Full Version : Time out for infrastructure

John Trax
01-10-2010, 2:27 AM
I have not been turning much the past week. I decided enough was enough and it was time to actually build someplace to store all of the stuff the lathe needs. Always a trade off between making things and making things that make it easier to make things.

The cabinet fills most of the space under the lathe and weighs about 100 pounds empty. I screwed it to the wood shelf under the lathe. The shelf is a piece of 18" glue-lam beam recovered from when the tree hit the house.

I actually have room left over! Does that mean I need to buy more stuff for the lathe?;)

Bill Sherman
01-10-2010, 6:28 AM
Very well done. More tools!!!!

Bill

Greg Just
01-10-2010, 9:03 AM
Nice job - like clamps; you can never have enough storage. I need to do something similar

Bernie Weishapl
01-10-2010, 9:31 AM
Very well done for sure. Now all you need is more toys errrrr....I mean tools.

Baxter Smith
01-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Looks good. I haven't been turning long enough for the "enough is enough" moment but can already see the "need".

Chris Haas
01-10-2010, 10:36 AM
good for you man, i cant pull myself away from my lathe long enough to get organinzed enough to make my time on the lathe more productive, sort of a double edge sword i guess.

a few cabinets like that and rerunning some electrical and lighting would go a long way.

GOOD FOR YOU for getting organized. i'm jealous

Thom Sturgill
01-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I like the notches on the top rail. Good Idea.

David E Keller
01-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Great job. Want to see if you can make another to fit under my mustard?:D
I hope you took the tree that hit the roof and showed it who was boss!

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2010, 12:03 PM
John - nice work on the cabinet! I wouldn't worry about filling it up - those kind of things seem to happen all by themselves!

Joe Adams
01-10-2010, 1:42 PM
Nice setup! My brother and I are flatworkers by trade (cabinets & trim carpentry) so we're designing a base cabinet for our Jet 1236. It's always inspiring to see what others have done.

John W Dixon
01-10-2010, 5:30 PM
Very nice! I too love the idea of the notches along the top portion of the cabinet. Great work.

John

Rob Cunningham
01-10-2010, 5:44 PM
Nice work on the cabinet John. That's one of the things I need to do under my lathe.

Bill Bolen
01-10-2010, 5:47 PM
A great idea and 1st rate execution. Yes, the tuning rules say you MUST go out and buy more "stuff"...Bill..

John Merc
01-10-2010, 6:41 PM
Nice looking cabinet John, but what I really like the is shut off switch. I have the same lathe and looking to do something similar. Where did you get it and how did you mount it? Thanks for the help.

John Trax
01-10-2010, 8:03 PM
John,
I built the switch, parts from Grizzly and the hardware box. Link below has more detail. This is pretty simplistic, it just replaces the Nova on-motor switch although you can use the forward/reverse switch to turn off if you end up on that side. I always seemed to end up on the wrong side of potentially flying objects when I wanted to shut things off. So this allows me to put the switch where I want. Easy to hit off with your hip if that's all you have free. I think the next step is changing out the motor for a VFD but that won't happen for while.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=104563&highlight=1624+switch

Jim Sebring
01-11-2010, 1:40 AM
I see you're making good use of the bed extension just like me ;-)

John McCaskill
01-11-2010, 11:39 AM
I went a simpler route; a foot-operated on-off power switch from HF (could be hand-operated). It's important to get maintained contact instead of momentary contact, they sell both. Momentary contact switch would make you keep your foot on it all the time you were turning.

I plugged the Nova power cord into it. I leave it on all the time and use the Nova DVR-XP controls unless I'm in a panic; then I stomp on the foot operated switch, which simply shuts off the power to the lathe. Next up will be a remote for the DVR-XP to control speed and on/off functions, but that will come when I get a "round tuit".

John

"Power Maintained Foot Switch
A must-have for handsfree operation of table routers, scroll saws, drill presses, lathes, and rotary tools. Effortless installation: plug the foot switch into a grounded outlet, then plug the machine into the foot switch.
* Easy to operate
* Hand or foot use
* Maintained, two-step design -- press once to turn on, press again to turn off
* Includes 7 ft. 5" power cord
110V, 15 amps, Overall dimensions: 6-3/8" L x 3-1/2" W x 2-3/4" H
Weight: 1.25 lbs.
ITEM 96618-1VGA $12.99 "

John McCaskill
01-11-2010, 12:14 PM
I have not been turning much the past week. I decided enough was enough and it was time to actually build someplace to store all of the stuff the lathe needs. Always a trade off between making things and making things that make it easier to make things.

The cabinet fills most of the space under the lathe and weighs about 100 pounds empty. I screwed it to the wood shelf under the lathe. The shelf is a piece of 18" glue-lam beam recovered from when the tree hit the house.

I actually have room left over! Does that mean I need to buy more stuff for the lathe?;)

I like your cabinets a lot, but yes, you do need to buy more stuff if they aren't full. It's a rule.

John Trax
01-11-2010, 9:05 PM
Bed extension? I thought that was for attaching the tool holder...:rolleyes:

Glenn Barber
01-12-2010, 11:04 AM
John-Excellent work and good idea. I, too, am wanting to add a combo storage shelf and ballast holder on my NOVA 1624-44 also.

Could you give some more details on how you mounted the platform that the storage chest sits on?

Thanks,
Glenn

John Trax
01-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Glenn,

The shelf came about more because I had that piece of wood in my road than anything else. Its left over from when the tree hit the house. Too good to toss but not good for anything. Anyway I happened to notice it was about the right size so.....

It is mounted about 12" from the floor to the bottom of the shelf. I think it just worked that way but it is a good height and I would not change it. I laid out and cut the compound angles in the wood to match the legs on the 1624. Roughed out with power saw and finished by hand. It was harder to get those angles correct than I thought. Don't remember what the angles were so you will have to measure.

I set up a hydraulic jack under the beam and then raised it up so it was snug in the 1624's legs then drilled through the legs and used lags to attach. You could also drill all the way through and use all-thread but drilling the hole straight that far would be hard.

I had thought of building a plywood box and filling with sand or lead but ended up using the beam because it was there.

One change I would make to the cabinet. I should have put a lip out over the top of the drawers so the shavings don't build up on the top of the drawer faces. Every time I open a drawer I have to brush the shavings off or they fall into the drawer. Still may change that. I would just have to change out the top rail with the tool holders in it for something wider.