PDA

View Full Version : Extra PM Cast Iron Tabletop

Jason Yeager
01-10-2010, 12:08 AM
I have an extra PM 2000 cast iron table top, because the right side was drilled improperly to accept the extension wings. WMH sent me a new one, so now I am looking for a good use for it, and wondered if I might be able to make a router table top with it. Not sure how to attach a router to cast iron though, anyone have any thoughts? Maybe a better use somewhere else?

Van Huskey
01-10-2010, 12:15 AM
I have an extra PM 2000 cast iron table top, because the right side was drilled improperly to accept the extension wings. WMH sent me a new one, so now I am looking for a good use for it, and wondered if I might be able to make a router table top with it. Not sure how to attach a router to cast iron though, anyone have any thoughts? Maybe a better use somewhere else?

Unless I had milling capability to fit a router plate I would look for another option. First thought would be a outfeed table just line up the miter slots and make a solid insert for the throat.

Joe Jensen
01-10-2010, 12:16 AM

Or, fill the throat hole with a fresh zero clearance insert and use it as the extenstion table.

Glen Butler
01-10-2010, 2:39 AM
You may even be able to find someone to mill it for you. I don't think it would cost an arm and a leg to do if you find the right shop.

Jason White
01-10-2010, 7:51 AM
Easy -- just forget about using an insert plate.

Drill holes for the mounting screws (for the router) and a larger hole for the bit.

Jason

Jim O'Dell
01-10-2010, 9:50 AM
I read that as an extra extension wing at first...my bad.
I agree with Joe. I don't thing there is going to be enough beef at the right spot to mill out 3/8" for a router plate. I'd use it for the most killer outfeed table ever, especially if your fence doesn't have to ride on the rear angle iron. If there is enough thickness there to mill out for a plate, all the better. Jim.

Or, fill the throat hole with a fresh zero clearance insert and use it as the extenstion table.

Glen Butler
01-10-2010, 11:36 AM
You don't have to mill out 3/8 for a router plate. You just need to mill out the router plate size. Then weld up a trunnion of sorts and attach it to the underneath side to hold and adjust the router plate. It wouldn't be easy, but it may be worth it. I agree it would make a killer outfeed table as long as the miter slots lined up perfectly. It wouldn't be quite long enough for me.

Jason Yeager
01-10-2010, 9:42 PM
thanks for the thoughts fellas, I think an outfeed table makes good sense.

Bruce Page
01-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Or, you could sell it on flea bay. I might bring a good price.