PDA

View Full Version : Shop Move to Wisconsin

Joe Scarfo
10-15-2004, 9:41 PM
Welll...

The shop move to WI became a little more likely this morning.. There are still a few "if then" dependencies hanging out there though...

I'm beginning to intellectually "prepare" for this event for when it does come to fruition.

My thoughts are to rent an enclosed trailer to do the haulin behind my BA Silverado and unfortunately the largest offering from our friends at U Haul is a
6 x 12. yeah... that's like enough to move the southest corner of the shop and one of the dust collectors (stealth gloat not intended but it did kinda come out). I need something with a little more capacity...

I'd get one of their trucks but their just to high to get the heavy stuff up there. An enclosed trailer is lower to the ground so it'll be easier to load and unload.

So why am I writing? I'm on the hunt for any ideas anyone may have....

I'm considering trying to hunt down, and buy a used enclosed trailer. When I arrive in WI, simply dump it on the market. The shop won't move until the house is bought so it won't need to be used for storage.

The list of larger heavy items to move are:
2 ea unisaws
1 ea Jet 15" planer
2 ea dust collectors
1 ea 16 x 32 drum sander
1 ea Rockwell 6 x 48 / 12 " combo sander
1 ea work bench 3 x 7 which includes 16 built in drawers
1 ea work bench 4 x 7 which includes a bottom shelf. I plan to put items
under there for the move to be more space effecient
1 ea 2 x 8 miter bench w/ 12" miter saw
15' linear cabinets hanging from the wall. They're appx 15' x 30"tall x 18"
deep
1 ea clamp rack on appx 3' x 3' foot print

To protect the Uni trunions from damage, I plan to drop the motors to a brace to absorb any bumps along the way. If anyone else w/ shop moving experience has anything to add, please chime in! No one wants to see any of the lil babies get hurt on the big adventure.

I've been calling the buds around town to see if they want to "borrow" anything for a while. That'll give me a place to store stuff until a place is bought or built. I'll drive down, or fly down and pick up them up later for the drive north.

Anyone have any ideas?

Tks for listening and any advise you have to offer.

Joe in Tampa.... anticipating the move from a sandy beach to a popsicle beach!

John Miliunas
10-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Strange, but true. A year ago last summer, I helped move a WW friend (a pro cabinet maker) from WI to FL! Well, we actually moved his WW stuff to a storage facility until he could make further arrangements in sunny FL. Anyhow, he did have a large rental truck BUT, one with a liftgate! That takes care of any lifting or even ramping issues. Now, it looks as though you've got enough stuff to more than fill one of those large trucks, but it might be do-able with it and a large trailer in tow. Hey, you were looking for possibilities. :) Whereabouts in WI did you say you may be moving to? :cool:

Joe Scarfo
10-16-2004, 12:20 PM
If I'm coming up.... it'll be somewhere along what they've referred to as the "Green Bay to Milwaukee Corridor".

John, what part of WI are you in? I hear it's a 2 hour drive from Green Bay to Milwaukee. I'll need to find someone to help me get familiar w/ all the local suppliers.

Here in Tampa, I've set up commercial relationships with a few of the local cabinet supply houses. I get great deals on plywood and other cabinet supplies wholesale. I also have access to Fountainhead and Avonite solid surface products.

I don't do this stuff for a living, it's a fun hobby with great benefits!

Tks
Joe

John Miliunas
10-16-2004, 6:12 PM
Hey Joe,

Well, that puts a LOT close to our friend Dale, in Peshtigo. :eek: Contrary to popular belief, this is NOT a bad thing! :D Dale know the area better than anybody else I can think of and I know he's adept at seeking out good deals. :)

I'm located quite a ways south-west of there, closer to the Mighty Mississippi than to Lake Michigan. I can make the outskirts of Milwaukee in about 2-1/2 hours. Green Bay is a longer ride. Keep in touch and let us know where you end up! :cool:

Gary Max
10-16-2004, 7:44 PM
Darn shame I aint closer to Fl.---I got just what you need sitting in the driveway.
Oh I am three hours north of Knoxville Tn. I got a 20 ft box trailer sitting in the drive I would sale you at a fair peice. I haven't used it in two years but they still let me buy plates for it every year----just makes me feel special.

Carl Eyman
10-16-2004, 9:14 PM
When I moved to LA from WI I crated everything in the shop. I then was able to ship it with other items that were coming this way. This was with a "free lance" hauler - owner Driver type. However, you could inquire of common carriers such as Roadway, Yellow, ABS. etc what they would charge to ship your stuff. Another option is to inquire of these independents (sometimes called gypsies) if they could include your shipment with their regular goods on a space available basis. Look to see how produce people in your area ship. Orange orchards. seafood dealers, etc. A stop at a local truckstop may turn up some leads on the bulletinboard. If you need more specific ideas let me know. Protect yourself with insurance, though.

Ed Snyder
10-17-2004, 7:33 AM
It's almost the end of racing season. Should be a few enclosed trailers available .

Ed

Mike Tempel
10-17-2004, 7:38 AM
Joe,

First of all that wasn't a gloat that could be defined as stealthy by any means!!! I turned green with envy as I read your inventory list :eek:. I moved this past January and while I don't have near your equipment I do have some and I rented a Budget truck with a ramp. A friend who helped me move has an old piano mover cart that we used (with great care) to move the larger equipment and an upright piano. We just muscled them up the ramp and secured them in the truck. Although I must admit we only moved less than a mile so we could go REAL slow with the truck. I wish you luck and hope you enjoy your destination.

Karl Laustrup
10-17-2004, 8:44 AM
Joe,

Well, someone else moving from warm and sunny to cold and less hectic. I moved 11 years ago from Vegas to Wisconsin Dells, WI. :)
I would think the best thing would be a rental truck with a lift gate. Not going to be cheap though. I would also look into LTL carrier. Either owner/op or one of the nationals, such as Yellow etc. This could be a little less expensive than a rental truck. We recently moved our son from Phoenix to Wisconsin. 20' box truck was over $2000 one way. :eek: You would need at least a 24' I would think.
I will be very interested in what mode you choose and where you end up. Kind of hoping you end up a little closer to the south central portion of the state in the Madison Wisconsin Dells corridor so we could meet.
Karl Laustrup

Jim Becker
10-17-2004, 10:35 AM
LTL may require crating up the tools. Using you regular cross-country (National) mover may be a reasonable way to deal with it since you'll undoubtedly be contracting with them to move your household already. It's just additional weight, but of course, you need to make sure you properly insure the tools for their replacement value since the automatic per-pound insurance is way-inadequate.

A new option is to check out Pods...they drop off the container at your home and it's at nearly ground level for loading. They then pick it up when you're packed and move it to the other end of your move for you to unload there. I don't know if there is any weight limitation on them, however.

Joe Scarfo
10-17-2004, 11:25 AM
I don't plan to contract w/ a mover as I need to keep costs down. This is a personal move not one that's been requested by an employer...

I had thought of "pods" but wasn't sure if they would deliver cross country. I'll look into them. Tks for the idea.

Joe

LTL may require crating up the tools. Using you regular cross-country (National) mover may be a reasonable way to deal with it since you'll undoubtedly be contracting with them to move your household already. It's just additional weight, but of course, you need to make sure you properly insure the tools for their replacement value since the automatic per-pound insurance is way-inadequate.

A new option is to check out Pods...they drop off the container at your home and it's at nearly ground level for loading. They then pick it up when you're packed and move it to the other end of your move for you to unload there. I don't know if there is any weight limitation on them, however.

Joe Scarfo
10-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Karl,

Thanks for the idea on the lift gate, I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into pricing for a one way rental.

Tks
Joe

Well, someone else moving from warm and sunny to cold and less hectic. I moved 11 years ago from Vegas to Wisconsin Dells, WI. :)
I would think the best thing would be a rental truck with a lift gate. Not going to be cheap though. I would also look into LTL carrier. Either owner/op or one of the nationals, such as Yellow etc. This could be a little less expensive than a rental truck. We recently moved our son from Phoenix to Wisconsin. 20' box truck was over $2000 one way. :eek: You would need at least a 24' I would think.
I will be very interested in what mode you choose and where you end up. Kind of hoping you end up a little closer to the south central portion of the state in the Madison Wisconsin Dells corridor so we could meet.
Karl Laustrup

Jim Becker
10-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Joe, if the PODS thing can work out, it may be the best of both worlds...you get to pack things the way you want and someone else has to deal with getting things from point "A" to point "B". A long-distance move by yourself is not a trivial task, not necessarily inexpensive and is just plain hard work. (This applies to local moves, too) Even if I were tasked with being financially responsible for a move, I'd think twice about doing it all myself...we contracted for our move to this property and it was worth every penny.

One other thing, do check into the insurance aspects of doing such a move yourself, too. "You" can have accidents just as a carrier can.