PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini Switch

Thomas Canfield
01-09-2010, 11:42 PM
I have seen the post before about the poor quality switch on the Jet mini, and today my 1014VS ON/OFF switch would not shut off. I had it plugged into a switched multi outlet so coulld finish the pen I was working on, but it is still frustrating when it will not shut off. Of course, the switches I have on hand were all double pole, double throw reversing so I will wait until later to put in a new switch. I was able to jiggle/blow out and do something magic to get the old one to work again, but it is a poor quality switch. At the same time the knob on the variable speed came loose (again). The Jet quality on switches does not match the other quality of the machines.

John Terefenko
01-10-2010, 12:09 AM
There is a setscrew on the knob and that is no big deal to tighten. As far as the switch goes what happens is that it jumps out of the track where it makes contact with the contacts. If it happens again just push in on the front of the switch as you turn it on and off and it should reseat itself. Most people replace with a heavier duty switch but my method works as well.

Thomas Canfield
01-10-2010, 9:12 PM
John,

I know about the set screw on the VS switch, but this is at least the second time to come loose. Maybe I need to add some Locktite to prevent the screw working out.

Pushing in on the power switch may have been the trick also. At the time, there did not seem to be any way to shut off the lathe by moving the switch up and down and also pushing in on the lever. It just did not seem to move the internal switch to change the contact and would not find any detent. Now it works and I will leave it alone, but will pick up a switch for the future the next trip by the electronic store.

Greg Ketell
01-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Radio Shack has 10A toggle switches for about $4. It is a simple "unplug/replug" to change the switch. Less than one hour, even for someone who has never changed a switch at all.

GK