PDA

View Full Version : Advice on pen mandrels

Jamie Straw
01-09-2010, 8:41 PM
I guess I need to get a pen mandrel, since I bought a couple of letter opener kits.:rolleyes: Didn't know enough at back in November to pick up a mandrel. I assume some are better than others. Woodcraft recommends this one (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001608/10989/Professinal-Pen-Turning-Mandrel-2-MT.aspx), for $23, adjustable for length of stock and self-centering. Any better one(s) out there?

Thom Sturgill
01-09-2010, 9:25 PM
That's the style I use, you can adjust the length instead of using added spacers. keeping the shaft length short makes for added stability. It seems many pen turners are going to turning between centers rather than using a mandrel.

Allen Neighbors
01-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Jamie,
Penn State is now advertising a Live Center for the tailstock that is hollowed to fit the mandrel (the mandrel end slides into the live center), with a 7mm bushing for a nose. It's only 14.95, but should do the job it's advertised for. It does away with using the knurled brass locking nut, and the 60 degree point on your live center. Less chance of bending the mandrel, I believe, because the pressure isn't placed on the mandrel end, but on the bushings. If you don't put too much pressure on the tailstock it shouldn't bend the mandrel.
I realize that you can bend the mandrel by applying too much pressure on the locknut also, but I think it would be less likely than the end of the mandrel.
I tried to order one today, but they said they were out of stock right now. When I get one, I'll report on it.
BTW, I've been using two of the 2MT adjustable mandrels from Penn State for over 150 pens now, and still haven't bent a mandrel. I just like the sound of this new live center.

Jamie Straw
01-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Jamie,
Penn State is now advertising a Live Center for the tailstock that is hollowed to fit the mandrel (the mandrel end slides into the live center), with a 7mm bushing for a nose. [snip] I tried to order one today, but they said they were out of stock right now. When I get one, I'll report on it. [snip]

Thanks for the heads-up, Allen, I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I plan to do alot of reading on this mini-vacation next week, so I'll get to understand how the mandrel is used.:)

Jamie Straw
01-10-2010, 12:28 AM
That's the style I use, you can adjust the length instead of using added spacers. keeping the shaft length short makes for added stability. It seems many pen turners are going to turning between centers rather than using a mandrel.

Interesting comment at the end there. What's your opinion on the advantages/disadvantages of the two methods?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2010, 1:20 AM
Jamie,

Those who turn without a mandel are using special bushings IIRC. The theory is that the shorter length is less suseptible to being bent by over tightening the tailstock quill.

The adjustable mandrel works on a similar philosophy.

The longer the mandrel, theoretically, the more easily it is bent by overtightening the tailstock quill.

The disadvantage....mandreless turning.....you have to turn the two pieces to a 2 piece pen separately. Most that do it don't use sizing bushings but use dial calipers instead turning to a specific diameter at each end of the piece being turned.

Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages.l

The trick to using a mandrel, IMHO....I adjust the tension on the quill by sneaking up on it with the lathe running. Using a finger on my left hand, I apply a little pressure to my 60º live center while adjusting the quill. When the live center makes contact with the mandrel and starts to spin with me applying a little friction to it, I back off just a hari and leave it. In other words, there is just enough pressure on the mandrel from the quill so the live center is spinning and providing enough support that that end of the mandrel isn't whipping around loose. I hope this makes sense.

Paul Douglass
01-10-2010, 1:35 AM
I use an adjustable mandrel but I only turn one piece at a time. Keeps it short. Keep in mind you need a 60' live center for your tailstock if you ise a mandrel. Arizona Silhouette sella a nice mandrel IMO. Read about 'A' and "B" sizes also.

Jamie Straw
01-10-2010, 1:49 AM
Jamie,

Those who turn without a mandel are using special bushings IIRC. The theory is that the shorter length is less suseptible to being bent by over tightening the tailstock quill.

The adjustable mandrel works on a similar philosophy.

The longer the mandrel, theoretically, the more easily it is bent by overtightening the tailstock quill.

The disadvantage....mandreless turning.....you have to turn the two pieces to a 2 piece pen separately. Most that do it don't use sizing bushings but use dial calipers instead turning to a specific diameter at each end of the piece being turned.

Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages.l

The trick to using a mandrel, IMHO....I adjust the tension on the quill by sneaking up on it with the lathe running. Using a finger on my left hand, I apply a little pressure to my 60º live center while adjusting the quill. When the live center makes contact with the mandrel and starts to spin with me applying a little friction to it, I back off just a hari and leave it. In other words, there is just enough pressure on the mandrel from the quill so the live center is spinning and providing enough support that that end of the mandrel isn't whipping around loose. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for the explanations and the trick for adjusting the tailstock pressure. I suspect I'd be best off using sizing bushings at this point.

Jamie Straw
01-10-2010, 1:51 AM
I use an adjustable mandrel but I only turn one piece at a time. Keeps it short. Keep in mind you need a 60' live center for your tailstock if you ise a mandrel. Arizona Silhouette sella a nice mandrel IMO. Read about 'A' and "B" sizes also.

60-degree live center, Check! Sounds like Arizona Silhouette is the go-to place for alot of this pen stuff. A and B.....OK, another chapter.;)

Mark Hix
01-10-2010, 5:14 PM
I still use a mandrel most of the time. Something you need to know about bushings is that they wear over time. Get in the habit of using calipers too. Measure the kit and work towards that goal. That way, you always know your diameter is right.

Donny Lawson
01-10-2010, 9:06 PM
I use the one like from Woodcraft.It works great.I love the adjustable part.
Donny

jason lambert
01-11-2010, 11:36 AM
check out penturners.org.
any adjustable mandral is good they are all about the same.
Arizona Silhouette is good but make sure to ck your order there is a note after 3-5 days he will not accept returns and he will fight you on returns.

I now turn between centers do a couple on the mandrel but then try between centers it is jsut better in my opionion.

Ken Garlock
01-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Greetings.

I bought this universal pen mandrel (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46448&cat=1,250,43243,43245) from Lee Valley. It is very well constructed and IMO a better tool than the one sold by our friends at Wood Craft. Yes, I costs more, but I think it is still a good buy.

Jamie Straw
01-12-2010, 4:55 PM
check out penturners.org.
any adjustable mandral is good they are all about the same.
Arizona Silhouette is good but make sure to ck your order there is a note after 3-5 days he will not accept returns and he will fight you on returns.

I now turn between centers do a couple on the mandrel but then try between centers it is jsut better in my opionion.

Thanks for the resource, and the heads-up on AZ's return policy!

Jamie Straw
01-12-2010, 4:57 PM
Greetings.

I bought this universal pen mandrel (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46448&cat=1,250,43243,43245) from Lee Valley. It is very well constructed and IMO a better tool than the one sold by our friends at Wood Craft. Yes, I costs more, but I think it is still a good buy.

Thanks, Ken, Lee Valley is my favorite woodworking company -- good quality and great customer service.

Mac Carlton
01-12-2010, 10:59 PM
I guess I need to get a pen mandrel, since I bought a couple of letter opener kits.:rolleyes: Didn't know enough at back in November to pick up a mandrel. I assume some are better than others. Woodcraft recommends this one (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001608/10989/Professinal-Pen-Turning-Mandrel-2-MT.aspx), for $23, adjustable for length of stock and self-centering. Any better one(s) out there?

This is the type that I use .Also you will need a 60 degree live center to go with your mandrel , if you don't already have one. Reason for this is that pen mandrels have a 60 degree recess in the tail end, as used in metal turning your live center that came with your lathe is made for wood... You can get by with it BUT it will not only mess up your mandrel end but also your live center as it will not fit right for the get go. I found out the hard way.

Jamie Straw
01-13-2010, 2:22 AM
Thanks, Mac, I'll be sure and get the correct live center when I venture into pen-making!

Gary Herrmann
01-13-2010, 9:15 AM
+1 for the LV adjustable mandrel.