PDA

View Full Version : Sandusky Center Wheel Presentation Plow

Rich Konopka
10-15-2004, 8:23 PM
Words can't describe this piece. I am by any means not a tool affectionado but damn this is purdy. And expensive :eek:

If you want to read the story about the Sandusky Ebony & Ivory Self-Adjusting
Center-Wheel Presentation Plow. Then follow the link to Browns (http://www.finetoolj.com/bas/Brown25-01.html)

Tom LaRussa
10-15-2004, 8:34 PM
Words can't describe this piece. I am by any means not a tool affectionado but damn this is purdy. And expensive :eek:

If you want to read the story about the Sandusky Ebony & Ivory Self-Adjusting
Center-Wheel Presentation Plow. Then follow the link to Browns (http://www.finetoolj.com/bas/Brown25-01.html)
Rich,

Whelan's Making Traditional Wooden Planes has directions on how to make a very similar plane to that one from scratch. I'd estimate it would not take a decently accomplished woodworker more than a couple hundred hours. :(

Leif Hanson
10-15-2004, 11:18 PM
Now that is awful purdy.

Keith Christopher
10-16-2004, 9:26 PM
no reserve auction. wouldn't it be a hoot if this thing went for like 200.00.

Jack Hogoboom
10-18-2004, 12:23 PM
I just saw this in one of my magazines. I think the estimate was that it could bring as much as $60,000. There was a great story to how it was discovered.

Manny Hernandez
10-18-2004, 1:17 PM
I just saw this in one of my magazines. I think the estimate was that it could bring as much as $60,000. There was a great story to how it was discovered.

So that would make one of these repro's a bargain at $2000. ;)
http://www.jimleamyplanes.com/sandusky.htm

Dave Anderson NH
10-18-2004, 2:49 PM
If you think the pictures of Jim Leamy's planes are great, you should see them in person. Gloat, Gloat!!! He used to have a solid ivory plow with the whole plane body scrimshawed in scenes of Americana. It was truly the most spectacular plane I have ever seen. Jim is also an absolutely wonderful guy to talk with in person. About 3-4 years ago I met him at one of the LFOD auctions in Nashua and we were talking about making tools. I mentioned how I used Lignum Vitae for a wear plate on spokeshave soles and he offered to mail me a piece if I paid the postage. I agreed. About 2 weeks later a package arrived with a piece of Lignum 3" x 6" x 10". He had been planning to use it for a plow body for a customer, but it had a crack in it so it was useless to him. I mailed him a check for the postage along with a small present for his generosity. Jim is one of the finest gentlemen around.

Joel Moskowitz
10-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Sold for $104,000 - a record for a tool.

Rob Lee
10-24-2004, 2:41 PM
Sold for $104,000 - a record for a tool.

Yup - never even got a chance to bid...oh well, wonder how that sale affects the price of our "production" Sandusky ebony centre wheel plow, with ivory tips.... :)

Cheers -

Rob

Joel Moskowitz
10-24-2004, 6:05 PM
Good question - a rising tide lifts all boats. So I think long term it will be good. But since I doubt you are selling it any time soon - what does it matter? However a very nice Israel White Plow (Ivory Tips etc) sold for a little under the estimate. Stuff was all over the map. The real surprise was a rather mundane (in my eyes) pencil sharpener estimated at 200-400 which went for 3300 - that brought puzzled looks and a gasp from everyone in the crowd. I didn't stay to the end - not having gotten the items I was bidding on - so I don't know what happened later on in the day.