PDA

View Full Version : Sad News Guys (for me anyway)

Allen Grimes
10-15-2004, 6:53 PM
Does anybody know if this (http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&slt=hp&sku=2383) mobile base is worth buying?

sascha gast
10-16-2004, 4:39 AM
it's not a htc, but i had 3 of them when i started this hobby, but now most of my tool are better and bigger. just received my custom htc bast for my oliver 10" jointer, looks great but at $320 it better. but for most tools, it works just fine, can't beat the price. the cheaper htc's or shop fox have some plastic parts.

sascha

Tyler Howell
10-16-2004, 7:44 AM
Hey Allen,
I have a couple of them. The latest for a small bench I use as a sharpening station flexes under the load of the bench not allowing the front caster to lock into place for movement. Even with laminated white oak scrap there was still a lot of slop. Worked out a plan that is great for the few feet I move it to sweep and jockey equipment around in the shop.
I retired this very one from the DP after seeing the gloat from creeker Wes.

It worked on the DP fair but there was a good chance of it toppling over in transport.
Much better solutions all around.

Frank Pellow
10-16-2004, 9:43 AM
Does anybody know if this (http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&slt=hp&sku=2383) mobile base is worth buying?

Where is the sad news? The base not be the best, but it's not SAD NEWS.

Allen Grimes
10-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Tyler, do you think that this base would support a 400-500lbs table saw?

Hey Frank, I edited my original post. The sad news is I had to go with a GI 50-260 instead of the General 650.

Ellen Benkin
10-16-2004, 12:42 PM
I had a couple and they are worth the price you pay for them. I found the difference between the Rockler (or Delta) and the Harbor Freight models (which look exactly the same) is the front wheel. The HF wheels just are not big enough or sturdy enough -- but the rest of the frame is virtually the same. I have one now on my table saw and it does move, but not very well. The weight is just too much for this device -- even with metal rails. But I rarely move the table saw, so I just leave it alone. I had a couple of work tables with tools like a planer and drill press on these devices and just gave up and bought the Rockler table systems that comes with very good wheels.

I do prefer this design the the Jet "four wheel" design. I think having the big wheel in front to pivot on works much better for moving heavy devices.

Tyler Howell
10-16-2004, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=Allen Grimes]Tyler, do you think that this base would support a 400-500lbs table saw?

Allen,
I don't think it will give you the service you need.
As I said with my (dumpster dive kit. cab) bench the cross rails flex when I go to lift it with the foot lever. The lever had to be held in place to move it. The bench is about 150 lbs loaded.
I have plans for the other to beef it up with some angle iron and hardwood rails.
I know the regular C man casters on my contractor saw gave out when I added the Excalbur blade guard and router table.

If I may throw a plug for the Powermatic mobility cart. That thing rolls as smooth as silk. The saw as is weighs in at 600 lbs.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000225QW/qid=1097944465/br=1-4/ref=br_lf_hi_4//102-1983520-1488961?v=glance&s=hi&n=229148

Allen Grimes
10-16-2004, 1:20 PM
thanks Guys and Girl. Tyler I will most likely get something like that later but right now I can't. My only real option for now, is the Rockler model unless anybody can recommend a mobile base that can be bought in a store. The thing is, I dont want to buy it at all if it can't be made to support my table saw.

There are a lot of steel workers here, I could have steel put in instead of wood. Do you think that would be good enough? I guess there is only one way to find out.

Ted Shrader
10-16-2004, 1:31 PM
Allen -

I have that one under my bandsaw (Jet 14") Not the same weight or footprint as your incoming gloat, though. Like Tyler said, the PM base is great. The one under my saw floats right along.

Have you asked any metal working buddies if they could weld up something. You could come up with some wheels and have a bullet-proof base.

You will be frustrated if you can't get it to work right.

Regards,
Ted

Allen Grimes
10-16-2004, 1:35 PM
Not a bad idea, Ted, Im going to look into that. Metal Workers are a dime a dozen here, Im sure one of them can do what I need.

James Carmichael
10-16-2004, 1:36 PM
What's the sad news? That you don't have a mobile base :confused:

If inexpensive steel is available, you could buy this one (which I see Tyler also has) and extend the base, which is what I did using 1" rectangular tube steel and a 5/16" tap and die.

http://jordanindustrial.zoovy.com/product/MI91480

Allen Grimes
10-16-2004, 1:58 PM
The sad news is that I was going to get the General 650 5hp TS but because of the high importation tax(mexico) I had the go with the General International 50-260 I edited that part out of my original post.

Tom LaRussa
10-16-2004, 2:47 PM
Allen,

If you'd like, I'll volunteer to be the official SMC tester of this product. Just get Rockler to send me one and I'll arrange for a stack of plywood to fall over on it.

HTH,

Tom

Frank Pellow
10-16-2004, 3:24 PM
The sad news is that I was going to get the General 650 5hp TS but because of the high importation tax(mexico) I had the go with the General International 50-260 I edited that part out of my original post.

Settling for the General International 50-260 would not make me sad, only less happy.

My only real option for now, is the Rockler model unless anybody can recommend a mobile base that can be bought in a store. The thing is, I dont want to buy it at all if it can't be made to support my table saw.

I repeat the recommendation re a base that I made in your other thread. The General 50-025 Mobile Base is not expensive, it is durable and it is rated as supporting 500 pounds. Your saw is only slightly more than 400 pounds

Frank Pellow
10-16-2004, 3:42 PM
because of the high importation tax(mexico) I had the go with the General International 50-260

There is supposed to be free trade between Canada and Mexico. :( Iguess it applies to everything except the things that you want it to apply to. :(

Steve Clardy
10-16-2004, 3:50 PM
Allen,

If you'd like, I'll volunteer to be the official SMC tester of this product. Just get Rockler to send me one and I'll arrange for a stack of plywood to fall over on it.

HTH,

Tom

Ching. About busted my gut on that one Tom. ROFLOL

Sorry, couldn't let that one go.:rolleyes: Read your post about your major incident. Didn't laugh about that though, as I have done some similar blunders.:( Makes you feel like a real------hmmm,well, can't do that here.
At least you still have your sense of humor. My kinda guy.

Steve:)

Bart Leetch
10-16-2004, 6:51 PM
I have known some people that have used square tubing instead of wood. I have 2 of the Rockler bases & 1 Harbor Freight. On the Harbor Freight the hole for the pivot bolt on the kick down pedal was in the wrong place. Harbor Freight is about 1 hour or a little more away. So I welded up the holes & re-drilled them & it works fine. On the HF base I used square tubing with little tabs welded on the ends of the bottom on the right side of the Band-saw , the tabs helped raise the wooden front & back rails when I step on the pedal.

Rich Konopka
10-16-2004, 8:39 PM
Or This one (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00922252000&vertical=TOOL)

Mike Swindell
10-16-2004, 9:28 PM
I used this base for my bandsaw and used 1/8" wall x1.5"x1.5 steel tubing for overkill. Works great, I'm sure this would be sufficient for a table saw. I think I paid $20-30 for a 20 ft section at a local steel yard. Cut to length with a sawzall, piece of cake. I bought 20 feet because cutting was $10 but 1 cut is free.

Mike

JayStPeter
10-16-2004, 10:12 PM
I have a couple of those bases. They work fine. But, it depends on how often you use it. For a TS that will be moved regularly I'd get a welded base. Either an HTC, or see if one of the Delta welded bases has the right footprint.
It'll be worth the extra cash and wait to get a good one in the long run. The Rockler and/or Delta universal bases seem to work better on lighter machines.

Jay