PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic business cards

Ron Chapellaz
01-09-2010, 4:01 PM
Hello Forum!

I have a customer who wants a quote on 3000 picture frame/business cards. The picture frame holds a 2" x 3" photo and the cut out part for the photo becomes the business card. I looked into lasermag to do the job but it wouldn't be cost effective as the material is very expensive. I priced it out at $23.00 for a 12" x 24" sheet here in Canada. The total piece would measure 3.5" x 4.5". I am now looking at possibly baltic birch plywood as another option, but now I need to know what kind of magnetic back I could put on it, and if it is laserable.. I just recently purchased a 35 W zing 12" x 16" table so I can only do only 8 at a time. I know that the woodl would cost about 11 cents for each one.
If any of you here have done anything similar to this I would really appreciate your feedback and how much would you charge...
Thanks in advance,
Ron

Daryl Gregg
01-09-2010, 6:59 PM
might look at stouse dot com, I use them for magnets all the time, All you have to do is send them the art & they do the printing & die cutting

Tony Lenkic
01-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Ron,

Sub it out to sign shop. This type of work is way more cost effective for large format sign printers/cutters.

BTW, where in Ontario are you located?

Ron Chapellaz
01-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the input Darly and Tony.

I agree it would be cheaper to send the job out. However, I am not comfortable with sending it out. I do not like having outside production done as you sometimes get burned with less than satisfactory work, and unfortunately it can loose customers. I am of the opinion if I can't do the work here, it's not worth doing at all.

My customer sends alot of sublimation work my way, with orders coming in from them every week, so I feel I should continue my services to them now that I have a laser.

Tony...I am located just outside of Winnipeg Manitoba.

Jim Beachler
01-14-2010, 2:57 PM
I agree with Daryl and Tony. This is work for the larger format and die cutting people.

You stated concerning farming out work, sometimes you get burned. But the opposite is also true, you can get great work at a great price and you make money for just doing the legwork and not the work.

You can do the job but at what cost to you and the customer? Not to mention the learning curve. I have had situations just like this. I have told my customers that I have someone who can do it better than me and I will handle all of the details for you as well as make sure that it is done correctly.

I send the order out to be made and have it delivered to me, so I can check the quality. If I don't like the quality, I refuse the shipment and don't pay till it is correct.

Bill Cunningham
01-14-2010, 10:28 PM
There are plenty of trade only shops that will do magnets for you. The only ones I do in house anymore are ones that require foil printing as a complete job, or as an addition to screen printed magnets that need gold or silver added in a logo or whatever. If it's spot colours screen printed usually gives the best results. For 4 colour printing digital is the way to go. Preferably digital print directly on the white vinyl magnetic rather than on laminated printed paper and stuck to a magnet backing.