PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Story

Mike Henderson
01-09-2010, 1:00 PM
I'll pass this story on for the people who own the Lee Valley Mk II sharpening jig.

One issue with the jig is holding narrow tools, e.g., a 1/8" chisel while you sharpen it. I've always taken a pair of pliers and tightened the brass nuts to clamp the chisel tight enough that it doesn't move when sharpening it.

Well, over years of use the bar that clamps the tool bent so I disassembled it and tried to straighten it out. Broke right in the middle.

So I called Lee Valley over the holidays and it happened that they had a replacement in stock - $4 and they shipped it out right away.

So if you do the same thing and your clamp bar gets bent, order a new one before you try to straighten the old one out.

As usual, great LV service.

[picture note: The first pix shows the jig and the bar, just so you can tell what I'm talking about - the new bar is installed and the old bar is below. The second pix shows a close up of the broken bar.]

Mike

Jim Rimmer
01-09-2010, 9:34 PM
Mike:

Sounds like my kind of luck only it usually happens to something that I absolutely have to have to finish whatever I am working on and it happens at 5:05 PM on Saturday.