PDA

View Full Version : 46-460 motor question

Harvey M. Taylor
01-09-2010, 12:51 PM
in another discussion on motors,caused me to ask this question:the motor doesnt have an opening for air to flow thru. The motor is sealed. I have run the motor pretty fast for a long length of time with no ill effects. My jet mini has an opening for air to come out, and probably dust to get in. What kind of motor is in the Delta 46-460? Thanks for any replies, Max

Bill Bulloch
01-09-2010, 2:53 PM
It does not have a vent like the ones on the Jet.

Dick Strauss
01-09-2010, 5:59 PM
Harvey,
I'm not sure about it but...my buddy has a 46-460 and it sure looks like it uses a universal motor (like in a router) because I can see the access caps for replacing the brushes.

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2010, 6:21 PM
Dick - I more than likely am showing my ignorance - but I have never heard of a universal motor that ran at 1725 rpm. Seems to me they were always warp factor 2 and beyond.......

I've done some checking on the web and can not find any specifics when it comes to the motor other than 120 volt, 1 hp, 1725 rpm.

Dick Strauss
01-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Steve,
I haven't confirmed that Delta is using universal motors for the 46-460 lathe. I just suspect it at this point based on the motor cap openings.

I know they have universal motors in miter saws that run at 3000-5000 rpms. They use 1hp+ motors for heavy duty drills and such that must be slow speed motors.

Jeff Nicol
01-10-2010, 7:56 AM
I believe the motor is a 120v DC motor that is why it is all sealed up and has brushes that can be replaced. I have the lathe and looked on the motor and Delta has just their numbers and proprietary info on it. I tried to find my manual and have lost it already in less than a month! My little steel city had a DC motor also. I will test the power input to be sure, but the motor on the 46-465 (non electronic VS) lathe is completly a different beast and has the fan that you would normally see on an AC motor.

Jeff