PDA

View Full Version : Planer advice

Jim Andrew
01-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Looking at the Grizzly go453z, go454z, and g1033x. Saw my own lumber, burr oak, ash, walnut, elm etc, to use in my shop to build furniture. Already sold on carbide spiral cutterheads. Not familiar with grizzly planers, already have a go609 jointer. Have a few boards it would be nice to not have to rip down to run through the planer, also would be nice to use the 20" for panels after glueup. Otherwise, would just get the 15". Interested in discussion? Cost is about twice for the g1033 as for the go453, that is the big holdup.

Mikail Khan
01-09-2010, 2:03 PM
I have owned the 1033X planer for about 2 years now. I am very happy with it. Low noise and vibration and a good surface finish. I have not rotated my inserts as yet in spite of using it mainly for teak and mahogany.

My 1033x came with a Byrd head which has inserts with a slight radius on them. This leave ripples a few thou deep along the length of the board which you have to sand out before finishing. I'm not sure what kind of head the 454Z comes with. The Grizzly head has inserts with straight edges and does not leave ripples (I have a grizz head on my jointer).

2 years ago I paid $2400 shipped. If you are not in a rush you can consider waiting on one of Grizzly's sales to see if you can get a discount on one of the planers you are looking at.

Buy the widest planer you can comfortably afford.

MK

Rick Fisher
01-09-2010, 6:45 PM
Only thing better than a 20" planer IMO would be a 24" planer :)

I have a 20" GI.. Helical head.. 5hp.. Its not unlike the Grizz.. I would highly recommend that size machine.. As you said, for glue up's its fantastic.

The Helical head is awesome.. Quiet, better finish.. cant say a bad thing about it..

5Hp is way more than is needed.. I have planed 19.5" wide Mahogany, Oak and Maple glue - ups.. they are irrelevant to the motor...

Buy your last planer this time..

Philip Johnson
01-09-2010, 8:00 PM
I have the 20 inch shopfox and no complaints. If you buy the 15 you will always think you should have got the 20. I always seem to spend way more on a tool then I originally planned on and it hurts at the time but you soon forget about the money and enjoy the new tool.

Phil