PDA

View Full Version : glue dry time advice needed

keith ouellette
01-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Ok supposed you screwed up

and tried laminating two pieces of 1/8" hardboard together and then decided you couldn't get enough pressure on it to make a good lamination

so you scrape off most of the glue so there is only a thin layer and you want to use contact cement.

how long will it take the glue to dry enough so you can cover it with the contact cement and laminate the two pieces.

Its about 55deg max in the shop right now if that matters. I'm hoping to be able to do this today.

glenn bradley
01-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I'd check the manufacturer's info for "good" temperatures and then extend that for your inclement weather. I'm thinking that won't be "today" :mad:. For example; Titebond fully cures in 24 hours if applied and cured in temperatures above 55* per their label.

keith ouellette
01-09-2010, 12:58 PM
I'd check the manufacturer's info for "good" temperatures and then extend that for your inclement weather. I'm thinking that won't be "today" :mad:. For example; Titebond fully cures in 24 hours if applied and cured in temperatures above 55* per their label.

I read that on the label. but that is assuming the glue is sandwiched between 2 boards. I was hoping someone had some experience that would tell me about how long it would take if it was just a thin coat exposed to the air.

I'm making one of those dado jigs and can't work on my other project till the jig is finished. I wish I had just settled for 3/16 hard board now.