PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Cat's Whiskers?

Russ Filtz
01-09-2010, 10:32 AM
My cat got into something (maybe brushed a chair I had been gluing with Gorilla?) and about a quarter length of the long whiskers on one side are glued together. I've tried to pull it off with/without solvents to no avail (and with no help from the LOLcat!). I think it's OK to trim a little off as long as I do both sides evenly, right? It's been on almost week as I've been waiting to see if she can lick it off herself.

Jim O'Dell
01-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I'd use some suture scissors if you have them, otherwise any small scissors and cut just the damaged ones. Cut as little off as you can. Don't trim the other side. They will grow out in a month or so.
Animals use the whiskers as an early warning sensor. Helps them to keep from poking their eyes out when running through brush and weeds. Jim.

Jason Roehl
01-09-2010, 11:23 AM
They also use the whiskers to determine if they can fit through a given opening. So I wouldn't trim more than absolutely necessary, either.

Paul Greathouse
01-09-2010, 12:05 PM
After you get the whiskers trimmed, put some tape on the bottom of all four of the cats feet then set it down on the floor.

Cats can dance and are very entertaining when they do.

mike holden
01-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Russ,
You can trim the whiskers.
We once had two cats and one would chew off the whiskers of the other regularly.
Never seemed to make a difference.
Mike

Rick Davidson
01-09-2010, 4:05 PM
After you get the whiskers trimmed, put some tape on the bottom of all four of the cats feet then set it down on the floor.

Cats can dance and are very entertaining when they do.

Just be careful of the tape you use so it doesn't pull out the hair.