PDA

View Full Version : Moving a planer advice

Steve Hampton
01-09-2010, 9:38 AM
Plan is to pick up a used General 130 planer today. It's about -15 Celcius and I have to take it out a basement level, walk around the house and up a bit of a hill to driveway level through or over snow. Can't get a truck down there. The appliance trolleys at the Rent-all have pretty small wheels. Any ideas on how or how many people to physically move it. It's not exactly square and I have concerns about picking it up by the tables.

Ed Parker
01-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I would strap it securely to a large appliance dolley, like you saw at the rental center. Then, w/ 4 people, tilt it back and grab the dolley at all 4 corners. Just like carrying a heavy person on a stretcher. Good luck.

Cliff Holmes
01-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I have concerns about picking it up by the tables.

Some planers have heavy steel lifting pins that slide out of the body. You might also want to remove the in/outfeed tables.

Rod Sheridan
01-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I used a dolly with the wider pneumatic wheels to move mine.....Worked well.

It is a top heavy machine, however a few guys will be able to do it, my wife and I moved mine, however not through snow.

At least the ground is frozen...............Regards, Rod.

keith ouellette
01-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Very heavy things have been pulled through the snow on sleds. And I've pulled heavy things up stairs on a sled before also

No runners just a flat bottom and a front thats bowed up so it wont catch on anything, or did into the snow.

Fred Preston
01-09-2010, 12:25 PM
set the planer on a piece of plywood. get some walk boards and some pipe sections. lay down the walkboards and slide the planer onto the pipes roll it and keep moving the pipes as you go. One man can move a whole lotta heavy stuff like this.

Myk Rian
01-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Hang it from a couple 2x4s and carry it like a Chinese Emperors' seat with 2 or 4 people.

Steve Hampton
01-09-2010, 7:40 PM
It's home; I used a propane tank dolly from the rent-all with big pneumatic tires and a lot of shimming with 2x4s and straps; snow was actually only 4-6 inches deep; 4 people to lift the thing into a truck though :)

Philip Johnson
01-09-2010, 8:03 PM
Got any friends with a tractor with a loader or bobcat works great for me. I suppose renting a small tractor gets kind of spendy.

Mike Furness
01-09-2010, 10:18 PM
General 130 is a great planer, Bought mine at an auction and rebuilt it.:D