PDA

View Full Version : Portable sharpening station!

James Williams 007
01-09-2010, 4:11 AM
Ok so maybe its nothing special but I'm just getting into turning (and loving every minute) and this week here in GA we have had a nasty cold spell and the first week of classes were canceled so I focused on learning how to sharpen my new and now dull turning tools. I wanted a way to move the grinder, Wolverine system and my Veritas rest around the shop and give me the option to tuck it away. Here is what I came up with. The Veritas rest can be moved to either side along with the wolverine rests and there is storage around back for the vari-grind.
I put a new edge on all of my tools and everything was going great until I put my scraper to the wheel wrong and bam it caught and gouged the wheel and sent the tool flying:eek:! I realized my error instantly and wont be making it again. I was able to save the wheel and retrue it. Pictures of my first bowl are coming soon!:)

willie sobat
01-09-2010, 7:42 AM
Hey, that's pretty cool. I have the Wolverine system and like it. However, I have always thought it would be nice to have the features of the Veritas. I just assumed that it was one or the other without getting another grinder. I am going to re-look my setup. Thanks for posting this.

Baxter Smith
01-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I will second that. I just got the wolverine and it has made a huge difference. Took off my veritas and it is now in a draw. Will have to rethink as well.

Ron Bontz
01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
I have been looking at the clone of the veritas to go with my wolverine (for skew sharpening). My lathe is on the opposite side of the room. I may try this. Thanks for posting.:)

Allen Neighbors
01-09-2010, 5:25 PM
That's a cool portable system, James. :)

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2010, 6:03 PM
James - looks like a nice and well thought out system! Looking forward to seeing your bowl real soon!

Don Geiger
01-09-2010, 6:27 PM
Hi fellow turners:

After trying a few different set-ups, what worked best for my needs is a mechanic's cart with my Delta Grinder mounted to the top and my turning tools on one side and my most needed turning accessories on the other.

I move my Stubby very frequently and I travel with my lathe and tool cart to do demos in a customized enclosed trailer. Having a lot of my smaller tools and accessories inside the drawers helps a lot too. The shavings don't get in!

Two photos are attached.