PDA

View Full Version : Rockler assembly squares - not quite square

Frank Martin
01-09-2010, 3:28 AM
Hello all,

I generally don't find Rockler accessories high quality but got four of their assembly squares during the holiday sale.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10113

Upon arrival I checked them all for sqaure using my trusted Incra square. All four of them are more than 1/8" out of square on the inside faces. Outside faces are fine. This makes them unusable for the stated purpose of the square. I'm just curious if these are from a bad batch or if this is a common issue and I am expecting too much.

Wade Lippman
01-09-2010, 7:20 AM
I bought a bunch and used them to make a frame last week. I found them to be perfect (which is more than I can say about my Kapex, which was off by 0.05*).

I haven't done the math, but 1/8" is like a degree, which would make them useless for anything. If true (and I suspect you are measuring them wrong, as mine are (as I just said) perfect) then they should be returned.

Jason White
01-09-2010, 8:01 AM
Could it be possible that it's your Incra that's actually out of square?

Jason

Hello all,

I generally don't find Rockler accessories high quality but got four of their assembly squares during the holiday sale.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10113

Upon arrival I checked them all for sqaure using my trusted Incra square. All four of them are more than 1/8" out of square on the inside faces. Outside faces are fine. This makes them unusable for the stated purpose of the square. I'm just curious if these are from a bad batch or if this is a common issue and I am expecting too much.

jim gossage
01-09-2010, 8:08 AM
If they are truly off that much they should be returned.

Mitchell Andrus
01-09-2010, 9:33 AM
They're plastic and in my book, 'close' at best because plastic will deform over time. We have no idea under what conditions these were stored. In a big jumble, warehouse that was too hot for too long, stood on end 10 deep for 5 months....

Exchange them for metal.

Frank Martin
01-09-2010, 5:19 PM
Sounds like mine are coming from a bad batch. The problem is I bought them online, so can't easily exchange either. May be I ask the local store to see if they can exchange.

My Incra square is just fine. I checked it against my Starrett as well, perfect match.

James Baker SD
01-09-2010, 5:22 PM
I have a set (from 3 or 4 years ago) and they are in my throw-away/give-away pile because they are so out of square, absolutely useless.

James

Jeff Willard
01-09-2010, 5:26 PM
perfect 90 degree angles every time!I don't think you're expecting too much. You were enticed to make a purchase by the promise of perfection. They have your money. You have a product that doesn't live up to expectations. You have a case.

Dave Lehnert
01-09-2010, 5:27 PM
Thats for the info. I was about to order some tonight.

Frank Martin
01-09-2010, 5:51 PM
Based on my experience I would say stay away from the Rockler iteration. This is the second or third Rockler item I bought and so far no success...

Get the aluminum ones. I they are called 3D squares. I have a set of four of those and they are indeed perfect. They have always been. They are a bit more expensive though. I had bought mine from a show years ago, I remember seeing them in woodworking catalogs.

Here is one source:
http://www.garrettwade.com/positioning-square/p/67f04.01/

Thats for the info. I was about to order some tonight.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-09-2010, 5:56 PM
Get the aluminum ones. I they are called 3D squares. I have a set of four of those and they are indeed perfect.

I have those ones - I also got them at a show. The do seem to be dead on....

There was a review of several 'assembly' squares, I think it was in ShopNotes...I'll see if I can dig it up....

Ron Carlton
01-09-2010, 6:04 PM
I use the Bessey WS-3 clamps. Solid construction...a little more money. Should last forever.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/Peach%20Graphics/bessey_AngleClamp.jpg

David Perata
01-09-2010, 6:18 PM
I may be wrong here because I have never had one of the Rockler plastic squares in my hand, but as 1/8" off sounds very outrageously off, I am wondering this. . .

He mentioned that the outside was perfect and the inside square was off. Aren't these squares made to work on the outside square? I've seen photos in their catalog and these squares are clamped in corners where the outside square surfaces are being used, not the inside. Just a thought.

John Nesmith
01-09-2010, 6:37 PM
I threw mine out long ago, and made my own using a plastic drafting square as a template.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-09-2010, 7:17 PM
I bought two over the holiday sale and just ran down to my shop to check. Yepper, there out by about 1/32" over one leg. I'm glad I paid only $12 (w/ free shipping). However, I'm even more glad that I'm aware of it now!

Silly me.

-Jeff :)

Dan Forman
01-09-2010, 7:20 PM
I may be wrong here because I have never had one of the Rockler plastic squares in my hand, but as 1/8" off sounds very outrageously off, I am wondering this. . .

He mentioned that the outside was perfect and the inside square was off. Aren't these squares made to work on the outside square? I've seen photos in their catalog and these squares are clamped in corners where the outside square surfaces are being used, not the inside. Just a thought.

I wondered about that too. Their web page shows them used both ways, inside and out, but I wonder if they are designed to have the outside true, but the copy editors didn't know. Stranger things have happened.

Dan

Todd Franks
01-09-2010, 7:26 PM
I have a set (from 3 or 4 years ago) and they are in my throw-away/give-away pile because they are so out of square, absolutely useless.

James

Exact same experience, bought a couple from Rockler about 5 yrs ago and are collecting dust now. I don't recall how much out of square but too much for my tastes.

Stephen Edwards
01-10-2010, 12:00 AM

That's what I was thinking, too. I have 4 of them that came with a bunch of used clamps I picked up on CL. I used them recently to square a small cabinet during assembly. The outsides were perfect, as advertised. I didn't check the insides because, well, no need to do so.

Mike Heidrick
01-10-2010, 12:39 AM
I am thinking the I need to make some of these? Anyone with pics of DIY ones?

Alan Schaffter
01-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Were the sides out of square or were the outside or inside corners just a little buggered. That will give the same error. You might be able to shave off a little get them to be right on.

Dan Rude
01-10-2010, 12:57 AM
I have both the Rockler and 3D squares, the 3D are the easier of the 2 to use. I find the Rockler are very large in comparison and keep them as back-up. If you call Rockler they will most likely send you replacements or you can take them into the store. I have always had great service with them.
On a side note Jevon has a smaller set machined out of a block of AL, that you use with 1 inch spring clamps. I'm sure they will be as good as the other ones which I use with my Pony spring clamps.

Bob Elliott
01-10-2010, 12:51 PM
I bought 4 with the free shipping deal that ended last week. They are "in process" according to thier web site. I'll let you know if they are square.

Bob