PDA

View Full Version : 1023SL belt change help needed

David Coburn
01-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Hello,

I've got a 2003 G1023SL.

I've been noticing a little whinning coming from my table saw recently and tonight as I was ripping some redwood it got to where it was howling like a banshee... After a lot of digging around I'm thinking that the v-belts need replacing... All three are way to loose. The one closest to the blade is the loosest, the middle one a little tighter, and the one closest to the motor is the tightest (but still very loose)...

My original thought was to try and tighten them but when I started looking at them closer I noticed that the one closest to the blade had quite a bit of damage and needed to be replaced... I can't really see the other ones very clearly but I saw in the manual where it said if you replace one you need to replace them all.

so that brings me to my two questions...

1) Does it make sense that these loose and old and damaged v-belts could be the source of the noise? (I'm asking because I'm hoping it's not a bearing.. I don't feel any give in the shaft but I'm not a pro so I could be missing it)

2) As I look around inside the machine it seems like I'm going to have to take the top off to change the belts. Is this really the case? I've got the 7' rails with a router insert and this is going to be a real effort just to change the belts. I see two allen head bolts that adjust the motor tension which I believe would allow me to take off he belts but I don't see how I'm going to be able to get to the allen head of the bolt on the side closest to the blade without taking off the top. I can see it through the blade slot but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get a tool on it and even if I can I'm certainly not sure I'll be able to tighten it back up....

Anyone got some recomendations on changing the v-belts in this machine?

thanks,
david coburn

David Coburn
01-09-2010, 1:27 AM
Well after messing around with it for a while I was able to get the motor loose and the belts tightened. The noise went away... so I need to get some new belts and replace them but it seems that the belts were the problem.

thanks,
david

Rick Lizek
01-09-2010, 8:58 AM
Get cogged belts from mcmaster. Better than stock belts or link belts and cheaper.

Jim O'Dell
01-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Glad that's all it is David. I'm sure the belts change without taking the top off. Do you still have the owners manual? If not, go to Grizzly online and you can pull up and print a manual. I think you run the blade all the way up, loosen the motor and move it up to take tension off the blades, then you can pop them right off and down through the trunnion. Jim.