PDA

View Full Version : Wild ride

Kevin Arceneaux
01-08-2010, 10:16 PM
As I was going between Cheyenne and Laramie yesterday afternoon I hit ice and went for a ride. I went sliding with the tailgate trying to pass me, caught it and then slid off on the outside. I was lucky in a couple of ways. I did not hit anything and was able to get back on the road without problem, and when I was sideways, I was still on ice so I did not start rolling over.

That is something I NEVER want to go through again. It has been a long time since I was on ice, snow a couple of years ago in PA, but not ice like that.

IT was insanely cold in Laramie, -17. I could not clean my window, everything froze as soon as it hit the glass, even with the heater running full blast. I ended up putting clean snow and running the wipers until it cleared up.

Danny Hamsley
01-08-2010, 10:21 PM
If you were moving along at any good rate of speed, your heart got the wild ride!

Jim Rimmer
01-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Thank the Lord you came through it OK.

Kevin Arceneaux
01-08-2010, 10:36 PM
There was a serious wreck a few miles before my ride and I had slowed down - 50. I saw the ice was edging into the right lane and I was trying to move a bit to the right to miss it.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Kevin,

A few years ago I was deer hunting in an area about 40 miles from where I live. I pulled up to a stop sign on the edge of a little logging community, made a right turn onto a state highway and proceeded to accelerate. A pickup with two guys in it came up on my back bumper. As we crested a hill and started down the back side, I hit black ice. My full sized '83 Chevy Blazer did a full 360º turn. Those guys who were riding my bumper were all over the highway trying to keep from hitting me and finally ran slightly off the road into some plowed snow and stopped. I continued on down the highway at 20 MPH for 3 or 4 more miles before turning onto a gravel road and those guys never did get within 1/4 mile of me after the spinout.

Ice can be fun.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-09-2010, 2:39 AM
Glad you are ok, Kevin!

It's very much so winter out here in the sticks. I actually live fairly close to where you where, by flyover country terminology, and can vouch for the cold weather. I was at a gas station to get fuel a few days ago on the way to a goose hunt, and the pump beside the one I was using was non blended diesel. It was froze solid. Little chunks of diesel where it had oozed out of the nozzle. It was -21 that morning.

Mike Cruz
01-09-2010, 9:08 AM
Glad to hear you are okay. I guess I should say, nice driving. Someone was looking out for ya...

Brian Elfert
01-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I went through a winter storm on the opposite side of Wyoming this fall near Green River. Very slippery and icy on I80. The bad thing is I was driving a 43 foot highway bus. If I touched the air brakes I would start sliding all over. I ended up using the Jake Brake instead and didn't slide all over then.

Probably some of the worst driving I have ever experienced. This wasn't revenue service and we had no particular deadline to meet. We really should have pulled off for several hours to let things get better, but everyone else wanted to keep going. We did stop at a truck stop for a little bit, but not nearly long enough.