PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Winged Bowl and Apple Holder

Baxter Smith
01-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Between tub surrounds and track meets I haven’t been able to turn in a couple of days. But a little snow last night = no school = no practice = play time!

Wanted to try some of the things that were suggested in my last couple of bowls so went looking for the appropriate piece! Maybe this is it?

The blue and red is from a new sawzall blade.

One suggestion last time was to add a block of wood to make a better dovetail recess or tenon to mount in the chuck. Flattened the bottom then added a 5/8 inch block. Went with a recess this time. For those of you that thought I undercut my dovetail too much one time, you were right. The tool I was using was close but not exact so tried to get a more perfect fit. It did look good. I know- no picture - didn’t happen!

Another suggestion taken - added CA glue on both ends and elsewhere. I assumed you glue as you go then turn off the excess.

I have admired some of the more open bowls I have seen here lately so tried to duplicate that to some extent. I turned a smooth transition from inside to out but I’m not sure now if it wouldn’t have looked better with a line of some type at the top of the inside rim.
Tried a traditional grind on the wings for a while. It took off a smaller amount but it seemed to have more ripples even at a very slow cut rate. Finished with the Bill Grumbine look alike gouge and tried to be careful.

Spalted Apple Winged Bowl - Danish Oil and bagged 1 3/8 x 11 x 1/8

Baxter Smith
01-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Still wanted to see if I could do a glue block and tenon so used the other half.

Tried to make the tenon as close to the diameter of the closed jaws as possible.

Not the shape I had in mind when I started but there were multiple redsign moments along the way. I don’t think the piece could have stood one more!

Apple Holder and Northern Spy - Finished with Mineral Oil and Bagged 1 ½ x 4 x 1/8

Adding the glue block was a big help as was waiting until the end to finish the exact shape of the foot. Both the tenon and the dovetail recess felt like they had a very solid.hold.

Many thanks for all the help.
All comments and suggestions are welcome as I am only at the tip of this iceberg!.

John Keeton
01-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Baxter, that apple wood that you have scored is some nice looking stuff!! I like this bowl a lot, and if I understand what you are saying about the rim, I think that may add something to the top. But, you have another slab of wood that looks like a mirror image!!:D Next one around could get a raised rim, or a ring!;)

Great job handling this irregular shaped wood. I am afraid I would get beat to death by that thing!

Can't get over all the color going on in that wood - really nice!

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Baxter - very nice work on both of these pieces!

Personally - I like the winged bowl as is! I like the fact that there are no hard lines to subtract from the smooth surface and curves. Most folks - including me - have a distinctive bowl pattern with rim that makes it look like a bowl trapped in a flat board. Nothing wrong with that but I like your version - where the entire piece is the bowl! Nice variation to a theme! Thanks for sharing!

Leo Van Der Loo
01-09-2010, 5:46 AM
Ahh nice piece Baxter, good work :D.
as for the more ripples with the traditional grind, yes you will get that with either a slow RPM or a faster moving across the face, a higher RPM and slow and fine cut across the face will make a nice cut, the way you hold the bevel does make quite a difference also, still any small undulation is quickly and easily sanded down.
Oh and with all that gain and color you don't want to detract from that, I don't think a rim or line would add anything to what you have, I like it the way it is
How soft was the spalting/rotting wood ?? looks like you did alright there, yes nice work, now bag it and put it away :)

Leo Van Der Loo
01-09-2010, 5:56 AM
Baxter you are a fast learner, and I'm happy that I was able to be of some help to you.
I think you are on your way, just the doing will now be needed mostly, practice and don't settle for second best, try to make each piece as perfect as you can and try new shapes and forms, it is fun when you are able to do those things, Have fun and take care :D

Jeff Nicol
01-09-2010, 6:00 AM
Baxter, The winged bowls always hold a spot in our hearts! They are wild to turn and each one is different from the next. With the spalting in the wood one never knows if it will fly apart or stand strong!

You did a fine job on both, sounds like finding turning time is tough for you, but that makes it that much more a treat when you get time in the shop.

Jeff

John Keeton
01-09-2010, 7:40 AM
Baxter, I didn't see the post on the smaller bowl made from the second half! I guess my post and yours crossed in cyberspace!! You are on a roll!! That one made a nice little standing platter - maybe a muffin platter? Or, as you say, an apple holder.

How much more of that wood do you have? That sure is some beautiful stuff.

Baxter Smith
01-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. Steve the only drawback? to no distinct line at the top was as you looked down from the top you hardly noticed there was a bowl at all. Not that it was bad - just different. As with about everything I turn, I wonder "what if?"

Leo- the rpm was about 650. Could have tried higher to see if it helped. I think when I was using the irish grind before I had gotten too much of the side grind and or I had come to the end of the tool rest and the heel of my hand was losing some of its resistance.
The spalted wood wasn't too soft. On one of the wing tips it started to crack because of it. I added some CA glue to those spots.
Your tips have been invaluable.
After posting last night I watched the first Bill Grumbine DVD again. For all the things I might be doing right, there were still numerous things to change!

Jeff - The winged bowls are enticing! I had hoped to include more of the natural outside in the bottom but it ended up being turned away. You(or at least I) never quite know what your going to end up with!
The tub surround thing was only a momentary distraction. I didn't mind the 6 mil poly leftover from putting the wood floor down in my shop but the Swanstone is a visual improvement. I try not to think that it cost as much as a really nice tool!:)

John - the muffin platter idea is interesting, but that might require a set of 4 or 6!:eek: The apple wood pile is getting a little smaller! The selection is becoming somewhat limited as to quality, but as you have shown, scraps can be beautiful!

Keith Burns
01-09-2010, 1:28 PM
Baxter the winged bowl is first rate. The apple holder is well don as well.