PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Cube

James Jaragosky
01-08-2010, 8:38 PM
Here is my latest project. It was made using a program called box maker. It was recently posted in another thread. http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=129250
After cutting and assembly I am thinking that there is too much text and not enough graphics.
I call this my Marine Corps Cube. It took 50 minutes to run on the rabbit hx6090
I would be very interest to know how long it takes to run on other machines.
As always, comments on ways to improve anything I post are welcome. Do not worry about offending me, I got thick skin.
Jim J.

sal shepherd
01-08-2010, 8:55 PM
Nice work James, I felt like an idiot when I used the box maker. I was making football cases for the Saints. I was putting wrong value for mat. thickness.

Scott M Smith
01-08-2010, 9:10 PM
Very nice!

Steve Clarkson
01-08-2010, 9:24 PM
Here is my latest project. It was made using a program called box maker. It was recently posted in another thread. http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=129250
After cutting and assembly I am thinking that there is too much text and not enough graphics.
I call this my Marine Corps Cube. It took 50 minutes to run on the rabbit hx6090
As always, comments on ways to improve anything I post are welcome. Do not worry about offending me, I got thick skin.
Jim J.

Jim,

This is very nice! Thanks for sharing. I'll make one on my machine.....did you raster or vector the text?

James Jaragosky
01-08-2010, 9:35 PM
Jim,

This is very nice! Thanks for sharing. I'll make one on my machine.....did you raster or vector the text?
It is all vector work.
On my machine the red was set to run at 20ips and 13% of max power at 20k ppi
The Black vectors were run at 15 ips at 30% of max power. I will change this power setting to 32% for my next run.
You are all welcome to use the file and improve on it in anyway you wish.
Jim J.

James Jaragosky
01-08-2010, 9:43 PM
Nice work James, I felt like an idiot when I used the box maker. I was making football cases for the Saints. I was putting wrong value for mat. thickness.
I had the same problem on the first try. my actual mat thickness is .116 but I had to set the value at .125 to get it to fit properly. I set my kerf value at .002

James Jaragosky
01-09-2010, 4:00 AM
I just realized that the program I used is not the one in the SMC link that I listed. The finger box maker Corel extension listed in the link that I supplied did not work for me. I was able to generate a box with that extension but the parts did not fit together properly. I could not even get the box that was preloaded in the program to fit together.
That link got me searching for a box maker program. I am not sure where I got the one that I used but it was free and I am posting the compressed file. There is a read me file with the program containing the authors information.
Sorry for the confusion.
Jim J

James Rambo
01-09-2010, 8:58 AM
James, Thanks for posting the file in v10 I am at work now but I will try it when I get home this afternoon.

Scott Shepherd
01-09-2010, 9:52 AM
It took 50 minutes to run on the rabbit hx6090

19:05 on our Universal. Could probably do better, but I had the quality turned up fairly high on rastering. One notch lower might have been just fine in wood.

I agree, too much text.

David Fairfield
01-09-2010, 1:07 PM
Boxmaker is awesome! I use it all the time for stuff, like a stand for my router bits. Laser a box from 1/4" plywood, add holes in the top to fit the shafts, (and a big one in the bottom so crud falls out) and its done. Millions and millions of applications for it, like that cube. Good stuff! :)

Dave

Neil Cullingford
01-09-2010, 1:12 PM
Took me some time, and found out i was missing the java... works great now, will make a box tomorrow...
Just need to work out what the box will be for:D

Lee DeRaud
01-09-2010, 1:40 PM
I just realized that the program I used is not the one in the SMC link that I listed. The finger box maker Corel extension listed in the link that I supplied did not work for me. I was able to generate a box with that extension but the parts did not fit together properly. I could not even get the box that was preloaded in the program to fit together.What particular problem did you have with it?

James Jaragosky
01-09-2010, 4:58 PM
What particular problem did you have with it?
Here is a cdr of the finger box that came preloaded I can not for the life of me get all the pieces to make a complete box.
I even ran the program using my own dimensions, and still I could not assemble a complete box. I know that this must work but it is beyond me at this point.
Jim J.

Tom Bull
01-09-2010, 5:28 PM
Nice idea.

I have used box maker, it is a great program. I found it works for me to push the parts together where possible and eliminate duplicate cuts and use the "kerf" of the laser for building allowance. That will reduce the time a bit. Would make a big difference if you were doing a lot of them.

I would consider lining up the top of all the text for a better appearance, because the text boxes are nearly the same size. If they were greatly different the centering would look good.

Lee DeRaud
01-09-2010, 6:54 PM
Here is a cdr of the finger box that came preloaded I can not for the life of me get all the pieces to make a complete box.
I even ran the program using my own dimensions, and still I could not assemble a complete box. I know that this must work but it is beyond me at this point.
Jim J.Ok, I see the problem. The default mode is "dual-layer", which gets you a box like this one: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29243. That's actually two boxes, one inside the other, with the fingers of the inner one sticking through to form accents on the outside.

The thing is, the program only generates one of each distinct piece. The fronts and backs are different because of the hinge mortises, so they both show up in the .cdr, but it only generates one each of the inner and outer side pieces (because left and right sides are identical), and one top/bottom piece. In the drawing you attached, going left-to-right top-to-bottom, you have the outer front, outer side, inner front, inner side, inner back, top/bottom, and outer back. Go to that combobox at the bottom of the dialog and select one of the other (simpler) box types, it should make more sense then.

(Why did I do it that way? Seemed like a good idea at the time: any decent-sized box is too big to cut all at once on my 12x16 Versalaser even if I had wood that wide. And of course it defaults to the most complex design, because that's what I wrote it for in the first place.)

Robert Rosensteel
01-10-2010, 5:43 PM
Could someone tell me what I need to set. I am trying to make boxes like the music box from the sample box from Epilog. Using 1/4 wood I would like to make a box 6x6x4in. deep Is there a way to do this? I tried dragging the sample but the fingers are way to long? I tried your box program Lee but there is not a top like the one I would need. I getting mixed up with the boxmaker and Lee's macro are these the same.And where did the cube come from? Thanks Robert

Lee DeRaud
01-10-2010, 5:49 PM
I tried your box program Lee but there is not a top like the one I would need.So...what kind of top do you need?
I getting mixed up with the boxmaker and Lee's macro are these the same.My 'macro' is a VBA program running directly under CorelDraw, while Boxmaker is a Java app running standalone. Vaguely similar controls, but no, not the same. I have no clue which came first, but mine was written in 2005 for Corel version 12.

Robert Rosensteel
01-10-2010, 7:33 PM
Hi Lee all I want to do is make the sample(EPILOG) box bigger by changing it to a 6x6x4with the same lid. I have tried by dragging the sample layout but the finger joints change. I not a wood worker not getting the kerf and how to change the joint size,if this is possible. tHANKS rOBERT

James Jaragosky
01-10-2010, 7:39 PM
Well that makes sense. I thought that only half the pieces were there. the two different widths through me off.
I will try one soon.
Thanks for the program and explanation.
Jim J

Sergio Arze
01-10-2010, 8:54 PM
excellent work James

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-10-2010, 10:09 PM
all I want to do is make the sample(EPILOG) box bigger by changing it to a 6x6x4with the same lid.

I have not looked at the sample, but if you want it larger, you need to edit the nodes, To make it easier, you may need to turn your grid on in Corel and "snap to grid" and manually adjust each node to the size you want. Learning how to edit this will only increase your skill to work on countless other projects.

Robert Rosensteel
01-11-2010, 1:01 PM
Thanks Mike I will give it a try when I get back. Robert