PDA

View Full Version : Question about argon gas and glue.

Bryan Berguson
01-08-2010, 8:29 PM
Will argon gas lengthen the life of glue (Titebond II) like it will finishes? I don't know if it's the air that ruins glue or the time.

Any thoughts?

Bryan

Jeff Nolan
01-08-2010, 9:28 PM
that is a heck of an interesting question... I suppose any inert gas will extend the life of an evaporative solution (which I am guessing PVA glue is).

From a practical standpoint, glue is cheap so I don't worry about lengthening the shelf life. If it gets to be a year old I replace it.

Will argon gas lengthen the life of glue (Titebond II) like it will finishes? I don't know if it's the air that ruins glue or the time.

Any thoughts?

Bryan

Jeff Willard
01-08-2010, 10:43 PM
I suspect not. The point of the gas in a container of finish, is to displace oxygen, which will cause the finish to cure. I think. Unless you have a prollem with glue hardening in the bottle, I believe it would be pointless. Maybe.

Caspar Hauser
01-09-2010, 7:59 AM
Alternatively mix a little bicarbonate of soda and vinegar in a tall narrow jug or old pop bottle.

Enjoy the fizz.

Wait until the reaction concludes. The CO2 produced will displace the air in the container and can then be poured on top of your ink, paint, varnish, glue etc.

A tight seal is of course necessary.