PDA

View Full Version : A couple pens I turned....

David Tiell
01-08-2010, 8:27 PM
Well, I got talked into turning a bunch of Wall Street II pen and pencil sets and some cigar and gentlemen's pens for Christmas. I had never turned pens before, so it was a learning experience. Especially the CA finish thing. Anyway, after I got the hang of it, I turned these two Jr. Emperor pens from Craft Supplies USA. The oak burl one is for my sister, and the pink ivory is for my girlfriend. The pink ivory actually has a nice bit of figure to it that the pictures don't show. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with them for being so new to turning pens (but not so happy with the picture quality; it leaves more than a bit to be desired).

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp22/DavidTiell/DSCN2241.jpg
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp22/DavidTiell/1.jpg

Jeff Nicol
01-08-2010, 8:29 PM
Nice pens! If you use a lighter background and some reflected light the pictures will be brighter, they are in great focus so that is not a problem.

Keep on a turning!

Jeff

David E Keller
01-08-2010, 8:33 PM
Nice pair of pens. Not my favorite kit for daily use, but it makes for a beautiful desk pen. Nice finish on both of them. Careful though, pen turning can be addictive.

John Keeton
01-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Some very nice wood! Don't know anything about pens, so my comments on the mechanics and style would be worthless. But, it is easy enough to see you did a great job on the woodturning part of this task!

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Great looking pens! I am sure they will both be appreciated! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Great looking pens. I am sure they will be cherished.

Allen Neighbors
01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I've never turned this particular kit before... but to me, it looks like you did a professional job on these! Beautiful pens!

John Terefenko
01-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Not a cheap kit to start with. Got to give you credit for being daring. You will find as the more you do of these type kits and the more expensive kits that people stay away from the wide belly look. They go for the bushing to bushing look. It looks more professional and elite. Just an observation I noticed.

Your pens look great and I always loved that kit. Good job with the CA finish as well. I am sure they will be well received. Thanks for showing.

For the picture thing, go one of 2 ways. All black background orwhite background and you will get best color options.

David Tiell
01-09-2010, 2:12 PM
Thanks for the comments on both the pens and the pics, everybody. I like that pen kit, and have a couple more to do yet. John, I may have to try your suggestion of getting away from the "bellied" look on the next ones to see how I like that.

Also, I gotta say Thanks to all of you who helped me with my questions earlier when I first started thinking about doing all the pens for Christmas. Your advice and help were invaluable!!

Dave

John Terefenko
01-09-2010, 4:28 PM
David as mentioned good job on the pens. Just wanted to show an example of 2 things, a white background and also the 2 piece pen with a bushing to bushing straight look. I have also used light grey as a background and that works well too. I am playing with black right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/CopyofIMGP0448.jpg