PDA

View Full Version : I Was Naive

Tom Winship
01-08-2010, 8:08 PM
I went to the Lie-Nielsen hand tool event in Austin, Tx today. Although I have a couple of their chisels and dove tail saw, I had never used one of their handplanes. All I can say is "WOW".

Tom Winship

James Ogle
01-08-2010, 8:12 PM
I plan on attending tomorrow. I am sure that I will be impressed over my old Stanley's but alas I am sure to leave broken hearted.

Rick Erickson
01-08-2010, 8:23 PM
You are in big troube. There is no turning back now. I think there is a drug on the surface of their planes

James Ogle
01-08-2010, 9:18 PM
I think there is a drug on the surface of their planes

So that is what started me down the mountain side. I have touched one a long time ago it definitely felt right but I have never put one to use. Hopefully I will remedy that tomorrow.

Bruce Page
01-08-2010, 9:59 PM
Tom, did you bring one home with you?

Tom Winship
01-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Tom, did you bring one home with you?
No, I didn't but I plan to have one in the near future. Then maybe more than one............. then................ Deciding which one to get first is a dilemma isn't it?

Jim Koepke
01-09-2010, 2:16 AM
They will supposedly be having a tool event in Portland, OR in February. I plan(e) to make a purchase then. They hadn't posted the information on the venue last time I looked. As a backup, they also plan to have a show in Seattle later in February. Portland is a closer, easier drive and a big plus of there being no sales tax in Oregon.

Want to buy a #62 Low Angle Jack plane and maybe a few other things.

jim

David Gendron
01-09-2010, 2:53 AM
I don,t know about a drug... I have a #5 and I can't say it work better than my old stanley's(with Hock blades), but that said, they are indeed nice tools, I also like my Veritas a lot... I think as long as you can tuned them properly, you are in buiseness!

Chris S Anderson
01-09-2010, 9:22 AM
I bought a #7 to joint stock without buying another electronic gadget, and then bought a #4 and a small block plane in two weeks of my initial purchase. I also have a shoulder plane on the way.

Totally addictive. Makes me wish I could return so many noisey tools and replace them with other LN items.

Jim Koepke
01-09-2010, 9:26 AM
I bought a #7 to joint stock without buying another electronic gadget, and then bought a #4 and a small block plane in two weeks of my initial purchase. I also have a shoulder plane on the way.

Totally addictive. Makes me wish I could return so many noisey tools and replace them with other LN items.

I love being in my shop and the noisiest thing in the whole neighborhood is my plane making shavings.

jim

Tom Winship
01-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I don,t know about a drug... I have a #5 and I can't say it work better than my old stanley's(with Hock blades), but that said, they are indeed nice tools, I also like my Veritas a lot... I think as long as you can tuned them properly, you are in buiseness!

David, I thought about doing that as a first step to see if that works. Tell me, do you need to buy both the iron and the chip breaker?
Tom Winship

Jim Koepke
01-09-2010, 11:59 AM
David, I thought about doing that as a first step to see if that works. Tell me, do you need to buy both the iron and the chip breaker?
Tom Winship

Some of my Hock blades have Hock chip breakers and some were bought and are used with Stanley chip breakers. No difference on the woods in my shop.

jim

James Ogle
01-09-2010, 6:58 PM
Went to the event around noon stayed for about three hours. Got to play with a lot of tools. Very nice. Not only that but the demos were pretty nice as well. Bridge City was there with their JointMaker, neat machine. Out of my price range but very cool. Homestead Heritage was there with a hand cut dove tail demo and a Texas Star inlay demo.

The star demo was very interesting. One of those things I had never though about doing. However after seeing the way it is done I might have to try it on an upcoming project, a hope chest for my niece.

Tom Winship
01-09-2010, 8:16 PM
I took the dovetail one day course at Homestead Heritage last weekend. Had never cut a half blind DT by hand. Now I am halfway proficient. Not fast but it looks okay. Frank Strazza does a good job.

Jim Barrett
01-09-2010, 8:47 PM
Tom,
I was going to take a class there about 5 years ago when I had some business to attend to in Austin but it fell through. How was the class? I think I was going to attend a week long hand tool session.

Jim

Tom Winship
01-09-2010, 10:55 PM
The class was great! There were 8 in the class. Frank had a young man assisting when we were actually cutting the dovetails. We did a single tail dovetail in soft wood, a two tail dovetail in hardwood, a half blind in mahogany and maple, and a sliding dovetail. They also spent about 45 minutes on sharpening. Very good course.

Tom Scott
01-13-2010, 2:24 PM
Agree. The folks at Homestead are great. I took the week long course there about 10 years ago (before there was a/c in the building) and it gave me the foundation to cut just about any joint by hand. I've been wanting to go take their windsor chair class.

Mick David
01-13-2010, 3:12 PM
+1 on the low angle jack plane. Such a nice tool -- smooth, versatile, just a joy to use.

Tom Winship
01-19-2010, 4:44 PM
Some of my Hock blades have Hock chip breakers and some were bought and are used with Stanley chip breakers. No difference on the woods in my shop.

jim

Jim, I just received a Hock A2 blade without chipbreaker and after about 15 minutes of honing, it is better than anything I have. Tell me, how do you guys keep the chip breaker from moving around as you tighten it down? I get it where I want it, tighten it and it is either crooked or closer to the bevel than I want it?
Tom

Randy Klein
01-19-2010, 5:16 PM
Jim, I just received a Hock A2 blade without chipbreaker and after about 15 minutes of honing, it is better than anything I have. Tell me, how do you guys keep the chip breaker from moving around as you tighten it down? I get it where I want it, tighten it and it is either crooked or closer to the bevel than I want it?
Tom

I do it iteratively. Tighten a little, readjust, tighten some more, readjust. Eventually it won't move and will be in your adjustment position.

Jim Koepke
01-19-2010, 6:10 PM
Tom

My cheat is to finger tighten then hold the assembly with the edge down on a piece of wood and tighten the rest of the way with a large screw driver. If you use a second small piece of scrap on the top, this will also prevent your skin from getting pinched between the blade and the cap iron.

Here is a link to a picture of my tightening a cap iron. You have to scroll down a little.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1158886#poststop

If it still moves, look for burrs on the screw or blade. What is happening is the screw is getting a grip on something where it should be slipping.

jim

Mark Roderick
01-20-2010, 9:54 AM
I wish your post could automatically be shown every time someone asks "Which plane should I buy first?"