PDA

View Full Version : What wood combo should I use here?

Craig D Peltier
01-08-2010, 7:24 PM
This is a dresser/slash entertainment center im going to build for myself. The top is dictated by a 2x20x8 foot slab I have of mahogany that I got from an estate sale.It might be honduras or it might be kaya. I planed it today.It looks brown/pinky colored. The slab itself was dark like deep cherry before I planed it. It had been sitting for at least 10 years so im not sure if it will darken.

So my woods that I can use to build this are Cherry for entire unit except top.
I have enough walnut to build all except top as well.
I also have a enough eastern rock maple to do the whole thing. One good thign about the maple is I have two 9x109 highly figured planks for the draw fronts.

The concept of the unit is a box ( dresser part) Fits into a frame which surrounds it , sides and bottom.

I know walnut and maple looks great together but not sure of the top will go with it as well. I have a friend who has a dresser that I havent seen that he used walnut/maple/mahogany an he said the combo is nice.

The draws will be inset in the face frame about 3/4 inch. The frame can stick out past the dresser box or it can be flush with it. Legs willl be at least 2 inches wide to math the top. I planned on through tenoning that bottom piece.

Any suggestions welcome.

Van Huskey
01-08-2010, 7:36 PM
This is a dresser/slash entertainment center im going to build for myself. The top is dictated by a 2x20x8 foot slab I have of mahogany that I got from an estate sale.It might be honduras or it might be kaya. I planed it today.It looks brown/pinky colored. The slab itself was dark like deep cherry before I planed it. It had been sitting for at least 10 years so im not sure if it will darken.

So my woods that I can use to build this are Cherry for entire unit except top.
I have enough walnut to build all except top as well.
I also have a enough eastern rock maple to do the whole thing. One good thign about the maple is I have two 9x109 highly figured planks for the draw fronts.

The concept of the unit is a box ( dresser part) Fits into a frame which surrounds it , sides and bottom.

I know walnut and maple looks great together but not sure of the top will go with it as well. I have a friend who has a dresser that I havent seen that he used walnut/maple/mahogany an he said the combo is nice.

The draws will be inset in the face frame about 3/4 inch. The frame can stick out past the dresser box or it can be flush with it. Legs willl be at least 2 inches wide to math the top. I planned on through tenoning that bottom piece.

Any suggestions welcome.

How much red does the Cherry have in it? If it has enough pink/red tinge in it that might look very nice. Also I am assuming you don't have any extra mahogany, if you did I would think about using it for the legs and building the "floating" cabinet in the middle from maple. Depending on color not sure if I like the inclusion of walnut, I love it with maple for the contrast but depensing on the mahogany color it may be too close to look good.

Craig D Peltier
01-08-2010, 7:46 PM
How much red does the Cherry have in it? If it has enough pink/red tinge in it that might look very nice. Also I am assuming you don't have any extra mahogany, if you did I would think about using it for the legs and building the "floating" cabinet in the middle from maple. Depending on color not sure if I like the inclusion of walnut, I love it with maple for the contrast but depensing on the mahogany color it may be too close to look good.

The cherry I have is very old as well and doesnt appear it was steamed so its fairly dark. I could darken the top I guess a bit with stain but hard to determine what the outcome of the cherry will be with age.
I can some khaya for the legs an bottom bars.

I might agree with you that the khaya may be too close to the maple to look good and not pop off of it.
Im really trying to use the slab an put it to good use. I could always turn it into a coffee table I guess and use the cut off for the legs.I'd rather use it on this project though.

Van Huskey
01-08-2010, 8:19 PM
The cherry I have is very old as well and doesnt appear it was steamed so its fairly dark. I could darken the top I guess a bit with stain but hard to determine what the outcome of the cherry will be with age.
I can some khaya for the legs an bottom bars.

I might agree with you that the khaya may be too close to the maple to look good and not pop off of it.
Im really trying to use the slab an put it to good use. I could always turn it into a coffee table I guess and use the cut off for the legs.I'd rather use it on this project though.

Try to use the slab as is if at all possible!

I am a big fan of contrast and the plan you posted (which I really like) is begging for it.