PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Parfait - with nuts!!

John Keeton
01-08-2010, 7:03 PM
In the process of cutting some bowl blanks from some wet walnut, I ended up with a small piece left over. At this point in my turning experience, practice is necessary at every opportunity.

So, I chucked it up and turned a little top. I found a short piece of walnut block in my scrap pile, and turned a stem for it. The stem probably should have been taller, but I was limited to the size of the block. The rest of my wood is in the barn - it is 18* outside, with blowing snow. This one will just have to do!!:D 7" to the tip of the bark.
My first thought was - it looks like a fudge sundae with nuts. But, I think this artsy stuff calls for more high high falutin' names - so, this one is Chocolate Parfait - with nuts!!

So, now that I have named a piece, does that make me an arteeest!:D:D

David E Keller
01-08-2010, 7:08 PM
I like it. Amazing what can be done with a piece of scrap, huh? At your current pace, I won't be surprised to see you doing demos on the turning circuit by next spring. Hell, I may even take a class from you when you start offering them.

Baxter Smith
01-08-2010, 7:21 PM
Beautiful John. What did you use for a finish on the wet piece. Whatever it is I like it! Do you think the top will end up matching the stem? I prefer the color of the top. I agree with David's comment about the scrap. Well done!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-08-2010, 7:35 PM
Nicely done John!

Hey Bernie....Hey Brian......and the rest of the gang....

WE HAVE CREATED A TURNING MONSTER!:D

Allen Neighbors
01-08-2010, 7:36 PM
Great work, John. You're a natural!! Don't ever quit!

David Christopher
01-08-2010, 7:38 PM
John, that is just beautiful, I think youve been pulling our leg about beeing a new turner, it looks like youve been turning all your life......great job.....now time for the burls

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2010, 7:41 PM
John - WOW! Nicely done! Really like the goblet portion but love the stem! Very nice proportions on everything! Very balanced form, great color to the wood and a real nice finish!

Have to think David may be on to something - you seemed to have caught on to this turning thing with a vengeance! Very nice work! Won't be long and you will be teaching!

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2010, 7:45 PM
Yep he is sliding down that slippery slope at a fast rate of speed into the black hole of no return.:eek::cool:;):rolleyes:

John that is a beautiful piece. I think the stem is just fine. Really a fine looking goblet.

Ted Calver
01-08-2010, 7:49 PM
John, Slow down...you're makin us look bad!!

gary Zimmel
01-08-2010, 7:54 PM
That John is very, very nice...
Can''t wait to see what you come up with next...

Doug W Swanson
01-08-2010, 7:58 PM
Very nice.

Leaving the bark on really looks good on this piece. Sometimes the bark can be a little overpowering but not here.

Also, great job with the details on the base. I've been turning for almost 2 years and haven't had any that turned out that good. Are you sure you haven't been a closet turner all along?

Doug

Steve Mawson
01-08-2010, 8:00 PM
Yep, this one makes you an arteeest for sure:D:D. Anyone that asks I will tell them straight out. Where is my scrap pile??? How did you stay so warm today, barely broke ZERO here? My garage has finally went below freezing.

Thom Sturgill
01-08-2010, 8:18 PM
Yep an arteeest for sure, now you need to refer to the shop as 'your studio'.
Excellent job John!

Bob Bergstrom
01-08-2010, 8:36 PM
I am not sure which part I like the best. The stem is well proportioned and the goblet is really eye catching. Great job. You have a good eye and good talent to turn it. You're making us so called experienced turners think about going back to the flat world! :o

John Keeton
01-08-2010, 8:56 PM
Thanks guys, for the compliments. I don't have enough dry wood for bowls just yet, but I kinda like these small pieces that involve some spindle work. I hope to get a bit more turning behind me before tackling some of that Australian burl - which I understand to be hard as rocks!

I am also in the process of trying to buy some dry wood for bowls, but that may take a couple weeks.

Baxter, the finish on all of it is BLO, a couple coats of shellac while on the lathe, sanded lightly with an abrasive pad between coats, and then a couple of coats of spray lacquer. Let the lacquer sit for an hour, and then lightly buffed it with 0000 steel wool, and rubbed by hand for a minute to get a little sheen.

The wood for the stem is a scrap from some walnut I bought from a fellow about 75 miles from here. It is about 30 years old, air dried. I think the soil there has given it a little redder hue. The goblet portion is still wet, and it will amber out quite a bit over time. Not sure they will ever totally match, though.

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment!

Matt Ranum
01-08-2010, 8:57 PM
John that is just awesome. I am REALLY beginning to get jealous of your talent! First I admired your neanderthal ability and now turning. Truly someone I have much respect for.;)

Baxter Smith
01-08-2010, 9:38 PM
Thanks John, it really looks nice. I haven't dared do anything with this green stuff other than wipe on some oil. Yours sure looks good in a hurry. Are you then bagging it or doing anything else as it continues to dry? My only experience finishing green wood was with the oak timbers in my house. They now have some cracks an inch wide!:D

John Keeton
01-08-2010, 9:51 PM
Baxter, we have a timberframe home that is five years old, and the red oak timbers (8" x 10") have large cracks in them. Gives the hammerbeam trusses some real character!

Other than the piece of sassafras that I turned to see how thin I could take it, this is the first piece of wet wood that I have finish turned. I would suspect that the liberal coat of BLO, and the shellac and lacquer will slow down the drying considerably. It is pretty thin - probably a little over 1/8" except the bottom, which is a little thicker. I really don't think it will crack or move much - but who knows!! It was wet as water when I turned it.

Mark Hix
01-08-2010, 9:55 PM
Nice job!
Did I see an add for your table saw and jointer in the classifieds?:D

Prashun Patel
01-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Scrap? I think not. Cool idea. I love yr eye.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-09-2010, 5:13 AM
Baxter, we have a timberframe home that is five years old, and the red oak timbers (8" x 10") have large cracks in them. Gives the hammerbeam trusses some real character!

Other than the piece of sassafras that I turned to see how thin I could take it, this is the first piece of wet wood that I have finish turned. I would suspect that the liberal coat of BLO, and the shellac and lacquer will slow down the drying considerably. It is pretty thin - probably a little over 1/8" except the bottom, which is a little thicker. I really don't think it will crack or move much - but who knows!! It was wet as water when I turned it.

Really nice work John, and I agree with the thought that you are a natural as they say, having a good eye for shape and proportions.
The new Walnut will color more toward the older dry Walnut color, it'll take a few years, probably will never be exactly the same, but much more alike than it is now.
The shape will not change much as it is like quarter sawn grain, but the thickness of the wall will change, you will be able to see and feel that the sapwood has dried thinner than the heartwood in a little while.
It gives it something extra, I do like that in my pieces when the wood gets this look and feel to it, keep an eye on that bark, it might need some CA at the cambium area, wood cut at this time of year is usually better in keeping the bark on, but still you never know, have fun and take care :D

Jeff Nicol
01-09-2010, 6:05 AM
John, When you get your package from me there will be some more you can practice on! Like has been said the turner in you was just waiting to be let out! Keep us wanting more!

Stay warm,

Jeff

Brian Brown
01-09-2010, 11:00 AM
That's really nice. I realy like your design with the sap wood and natural edge. It is truely sick how fast you are progressing! :D

Brian Effinger
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
So, now that I have named a piece, does that make me an arteeest!:D:D

Yup, definitely an arteeest! :D I think you were an arteeest long before you stumbled blindly into this vortex. The goblet, or sundae ...er parfait dish, is really beautiful. The stem is proportioned well, and the layers of the bowl are great.

Nicely done John!

Hey Bernie....Hey Brian......and the rest of the gang....

WE HAVE CREATED A TURNING MONSTER!:D

Undoubtedly. And I agree with Ted, he is making us all look bad.

Ron Bontz
01-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Excellent eye for proportions. Nice piece all around.

Keith Burns
01-09-2010, 1:09 PM
John this is a totally excellent piece. Great form and the proportions are spot on.

Jon Lanier
01-09-2010, 8:12 PM
That is just sweet! :p

John Keeton
01-09-2010, 9:18 PM
Nice job!
Did I see an add for your table saw and jointer in the classifieds?:DNot yet, Mark!!!;) But, I might be able to get by with just the bandsaw and planer?!?! Hmmmmm......

...keep an eye on that bark, it might need some CA at the cambium area, wood cut at this time of year is usually better in keeping the bark on, but still you never know, have fun and take care :DThanks, Leo. Good idea on watching the bark. Not used to this green wood stuff, so I will have to check it every now and then.

Thanks again, for the kind comments. I have to publicly admit, I am having a bunch of fun with this turning thing. But, my wallet feels abused!!:eek::D And then, Toolnut puts a big sale on the Delta Midi!!

Rich Aldrich
01-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Nice work John! This really gives me the itch. I have to sell my trap gun before I buy a lathe.