PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Gloat

Adam Strong
01-08-2010, 6:17 PM
I actually got the drill press a week ago, but I am just getting around to posting. I found a new in box Ridgid DP15000 for $150 on CL. I had been using a Harbor Freight bench top for the past 8 years and it has shown it's age for the past 2 or 3 years, needing a few patch-ups to keep it running. After after passively keeping an eye on CL for the past month or two, this one came up. It is 3 or so generations ago in the Ridgid line-up with the old ugly color scheme, it was made by Emerson, and is a solid DP.
When opening the box everything was as new and still factory sealed in it's oily box. Once out of the box, I pulled everything apart, cleaned off the shipping grease and lubed everything up. All the parts were there and assembly took little more than 10 min. I have used it quite a bit this past week and found it to run smooth and quiet.

keith ouellette
01-08-2010, 6:29 PM
I paid $125 for a used 1/2" chuck craftsman. Mostly because i felt sorry for an old man who thought it was a great drill.

but still. you got a great deal there. What price was the drill listed new.

Van Huskey
01-08-2010, 6:30 PM
Gloat worthy! Nice find.

Adam Strong
01-08-2010, 7:01 PM
I am not sure of the price new back 7-8 years ago was, but the following generations were listed at $299 new, so I am sure this one was not far off from that.

Mark Godlesky
01-10-2010, 2:34 AM
Congrats. I recently bought one from CL for the same price and it wasn't NIB.

Eric Roberge
01-10-2010, 9:12 AM
Great score!
That's a nice DP:)

Stephen Edwards
01-10-2010, 9:16 AM
I think you did great. Congratulations on your find. You'll get used to the color scheme!

Mike Cruz
01-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Actually, I think the older generation Emerson made Ridgid stuff is better made than what Ridgid makes today. Great gloat!

Adam Strong
01-11-2010, 6:30 PM
Actually, I think the older generation Emerson made Ridgid stuff is better made than what Ridgid makes today. Great gloat!

That has been proven with many of the older Ridgids. This was back in the time of the true Lifetime Warranty too... If I do ever have trouble, I can try and call them on it, in the warranty info it does not mention any registration requirements, nor does it have a warranty card. Never hurts to try :)

Victor Robinson
01-11-2010, 7:01 PM
Seems to be a lightly used one of these on the SF Bay Area CL for $175 at the moment. I was thinking about it but need to hold off on the DP for now.

'Grats Adam! Looks like an excellent score!

Joe Mioux
01-11-2010, 8:31 PM
looks like a nice set and a fantastic price... congrats.

joe

Greg Smith2
02-11-2010, 9:59 PM
I walked into Home Depot today looking for something else and they had two of these left on closeout for $149. I wasn't looking for one but it was a deal I couldn't pass up. The 10% military discount they gave me even covered the tax.

Chris Nolin
02-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Very nice find, Adam! I've also heard the older ones are better quality. Congrats!

John Thompson
02-12-2010, 11:50 AM
I purchased one of the ones made by Emerson about a month after it hit the floor years ago. The price at that time was either $279 or $299. I have gotten a lot of mies from that DP and you are correct about it being a good one. The belts are smooth.. the chuck is very good.. very easy to change speeds..it is just hard to beat for $299.. much less what you paid. As for the looks.. I could really care less what a tool looks like or how well it fits my shop color decor as long as the tool is functional and this one is.. trust me as I use it almost daily.

I considered purchasing all I could find at local HD's here in Atlanta on the north side at the close out price as I knew I could turn them over quickly for $225 without any questions. So... ya should gloat in this case as your ship finally hit the sand on your deal.

Enjoy...

Dave Gaul
02-12-2010, 11:51 AM
That looks like a good deal to me! I kinda like that color scheme!

Glen Butler
02-12-2010, 12:44 PM
I stole my drill press from my dad. I can't believe how much I use it. He keeps asking for it back but I keep telling him I need it more than he does. You have inspired me to start looking a little harder. Great find.