PDA

View Full Version : WW Show Survival Tactics.

Tyler Howell
10-15-2004, 11:19 AM
WW Show Survival Tactics.

Worked for me.

Comfy Shoes You'll be hoofing it.

More Money, More Money, More Money

Well researched Wish list. Do your home work. They're not all great deals at the show.

Proper forms of ID,;)

Some Coupons are out there for discounts on purchases. Again shop for the best deal.

The roller back pack was great for a heavy haul of goodies.:D :D

Check out the seminars. They are geared to sell products but have great tips.

Meet with some friends after the show.

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/index.php?pageName=Show&eventName=Minneapolis (http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/index.php?pageName=Show&eventName=Minneapolis)

Market Bar-B- Que
Downtown Minneapolis
1414 Nicollet Avenue
Minneapolis 55403
Order off the Menu, Full Bar Services

http://twincities.citysearch.com/customer_website/5578471 (http://twincities.citysearch.com/customer_website/5578471)

Steve Clardy
10-15-2004, 11:26 AM
ready for launch Houston.:eek:

But--sure hope you have more than $2.00 in that billfold.:confused:
And be sure and put that hat on backwards so you can skim through the crowds easier.:D

Steve:)

Tyler Howell
10-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks Steve, For the LOL!

I'm a plastic kinda guy!;)

Ted Shrader
10-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Tyler -

More recommendations.
Take a couple of catalogs into the show with you as reference.
Use one show vendor's price at another vendors booth as additonal bargaining power.
Big iron item prices are sometimes lower at the end of the last day so they don't have to haul it back.

Items two and three worked for me when a PM66 with extra accessories followed me home from a show a couple years ago. It also works to have friends at the show in case you need extra space for hauling.

Have a blast!!!
Ted

Jack Hogoboom
10-15-2004, 11:58 AM
I KNEW I was doing something wrong. My problem is that I make my wish list AT the show!!!

Enjoy.

Jack

Bart Leetch
10-15-2004, 12:18 PM
I thought of this & had to chuckle. I find having a small shop with most of what I need already in the shop & the Wood Working shows being about 1 1/2 hours away a great help. ;) :D Plus the fact that I have projects lined up & most of the material needed to do them.Oh I do need some Birch or Alder for a cabinet face frame & maybe a sheet or 2 of 3/4" Satinply for my new CMS/Portable planer/Jet Spindle sander/Shopfox Mortiser/Tool cabinet. I just Gotta fit it all in & make more room in the shop. This will make about 30 SQ. Ft. more space in my shop. :D :D :D

Chris Padilla
10-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Jack,

That is like going to the supermarket hungry! After you've eaten, you'll be shocked what you brough home! ;)

Jack Hogoboom
10-15-2004, 1:55 PM
Chris,

Haven't you seen my avatar? I go everywhere hungry. However, I would choose tools over food any day.

Jack

Ed Hardin
10-15-2004, 2:20 PM
The way I had it figured is that the picture we see from Tyler was an "AFTER" picture. $2.00 was all he had left.

Lloyd Frisbee
10-15-2004, 2:30 PM
I always bring LOML with me to the shows. The past two years I was broke at the time of the shows and she ended up buying all my toyls for me. I think I'll keep her after 30 years of marriage. This year we will be participating in the show near here with our woodturning club. Already made a shopping list....for her. :D

James Carmichael
10-15-2004, 2:30 PM
Tyler,

Are you sure packing the checkbook is a good idea? :eek:

Jim Becker
10-15-2004, 2:42 PM
Speaking of food...different convention hall venues have radically different costs for "local food". If you're going to spend the day at the show and don't want to chance a $5 hotdog and $3 Coke, consider packing a candy/health bar or two and a bottle of water.

John Miliunas
10-15-2004, 2:46 PM
This is primarily a warning for you guys coming in to the show from further away: Leave LOYL at home!!!! :) This WW show is but a quick shot away from The Mall of America! :eek: If you have ANY intention of coming home with your own acquisitions, you will heed this warning! :D I originally had plans to go to this one and, when LOML asked, "Is it close to TMOA?", I said, "Yes". Before she even opened her mouth again, I simply said, "NO!!!" :D Yup, I already knew the next question! :) 'Course, the whole thing blew up in my face, due to a supplier issue with stuff I needed for house repairs, but that's an all-together separate rant! :mad: Now don't say I didn't warn you! :cool:

John Renzetti
10-15-2004, 2:47 PM
Hi Jim, You're right about the prices they charge for food at these shows. You can blow the tool budget just buying a snack. :)

Chris Padilla
10-15-2004, 2:52 PM
Just like going to the movies or the ball park....

Jim Becker
10-15-2004, 2:59 PM
The Georgia World Congress Center has been one of the exceptions in my "Trade Show" experience...food was about the same as on the street. But in most convention center venues, there is something like a 100% markup over "normal". Sheesh!

John Miliunas
10-15-2004, 3:14 PM
The Georgia World Congress Center has been one of the exceptions in my "Trade Show" experience...food was about the same as on the street. But in most convention center venues, there is something like a 100% markup over "normal". Sheesh!

Yeah, the one we went to in Milwaukee (State Fair Park) last Feb. wasn't too bad on prices, either. The food was OK, the beer was cold and prices weren't way out of line, except for the more "specialty" kind of drinks. I'm a beer kinda' guy anyway, so that's OK. :cool:

Mark J Bachler
10-15-2004, 3:42 PM
Skip the comfy shoes, I'm going roller blades.

John Weber
10-15-2004, 4:11 PM
I love the tool shows, I've gone to the Columbus since I can't remember, long before I had a decent shop. Every year I go with my Dad and Uncle. We had a blast and usually one of us spends way to much money (not always me). My Dad is always drawn in by the gadgets, and I just love looking. The best story was when we each bought 2 for $20 anti-static brooms from the cute broom sales girl. I thought we could split a pair but she kept saying you need one for the shop and one for the house. Oh well, we've gotten $60 worth of story for it if nothing else. Try and make deals, stuff sells for the least Sunday afternoon, but most of the floor samples are gone by then. Make a day and enjoy. Seminars are very good as well, usually by top people in ww.

John

P.S. I usually hit the Indy show the following weekend to catch up with my ww buddies and follow up on any deals I may have missed in Columbus...

Tyler Howell
10-15-2004, 7:59 PM
Skip the comfy shoes, I'm going roller blades.Mark, I got busted in this very building on blades Guy wasn't very nice. Heck they were selling them at the show:confused: .

Did a fly bye today to scope everything out. Spent most of my time at the Lie-Neilson Booth. Learned alot. Nice stuff.
Did make a gloatable purchace, 2 weeks out. Pix to follow.:D :D

Jim Becker
10-15-2004, 8:03 PM
Spent most of my time at the Lie-Neilson Booth. Learned alot. Nice stuff.
Now...there's an understatement!!! It's easy to spend more than your "time" there, my friend, not to mention in the Lee Valley booth!

Steve Clardy
10-15-2004, 8:14 PM
We gotta have a detailed report after your mission Tyler.
Oh ya. WITH PICS!!!

Steve:D

Tyler Howell
10-15-2004, 8:15 PM
Now...there's an understatement!!! It's easy to spend more than your "time" there, my friend, not to mention in the Lee Valley booth!
No Lee Valley this show:confused: More my budget. Had to make a hard call and going to wait on being a Neander Tool Snob. But I have been talking to the good folks at LV.

Gredo Goldenstein
10-16-2004, 7:57 AM
One other suggestion, park as close as possible! I was there on Friday and that darn Akeda jig is HEAVY! :eek:

Tyler Howell
10-16-2004, 8:32 AM
Gredo were you wearing a SMC hat couldn't pick you out:confused:

keith zimmerman
10-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Off we go to the WW show today...then dinner with the MN Creekers. :D

I'll be in a black leather jacket and wearing a black fedora. I don't own a SMC cap.

Later everyone.

keithz

Frank Pellow
10-16-2004, 10:57 AM

I don't own a SMC cap.

keithz

You should.

Ellen Benkin
10-16-2004, 12:48 PM
The catalogs are a great idea. I usually take a wish list and cruise the entire show making notes on the prices a various vendors (and seening the demos, of course). Then I take a food break and compare prices with the catalogs. At that point I think I'm ready to go back and actually buy stuff without feeling that I am buying stuff I don't need at prices I can't afford. I can also use the time to call people with whom I exchange Christmas gifts to suggest what they can have me buy for them to give to me. Sometimes this actually works!

Ted Shrader
10-16-2004, 1:35 PM
. . . I can also use the time to call people with whom I exchange Christmas gifts to suggest what they can have me buy for them to give to me. Sometimes this actually works!

Ellen -

Noooo. Get outtta here!!! Really? :eek: :) :)

What a great idea. Maybe I will try it.

Regards,
Ted

Gredo Goldenstein
10-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Gredo were you wearing a SMC hat couldn't pick you out:confused:

Tyler-

I dont own a SMC hat. I rarely wear a hat. If I did wear a hat, I would be honored to wear a SMC hat. "Wear" do I get one?

Gredo

Steve Clardy
10-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Tyler-

I dont own a SMC hat. I rarely wear a hat. If I did wear a hat, I would be honored to wear a SMC hat. "Wear" do I get one?

Gredo
PM Jackie Otten here at SMC. She'll take care of you.
Steve