PDA

View Full Version : Shop made ZCI for Sawstop PCS?

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-08-2010, 4:16 PM
Has anyone made their own ZCI for their Sawstop? Especially interested in the PCS....

Dan Forman
01-08-2010, 5:14 PM
Somebody did recently (can't remember who), and learned the hard way to remove the riving knife before cutting up through the insert. He did however lean how to replace the brake mechanism and blade. Not sure which model Sawstop this was.

Dan

mreza Salav
01-08-2010, 6:03 PM
Dan, I think you are referring to me...
I installed a new *original* ZCI and that incident happened.
Having said that, I made one ZCI for the dado from 3/8" MDF and it works fine. It is a ICS model.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-08-2010, 7:18 PM
Thanks. For the PCS, there is now a 'tool-less' removal handle, that also latches the insert down when you push the handle down under the level of the table. I'm going to look into it to see if I could 're-use' that when an insert gets too chewed up....or, if it's feasible to use rare earth magnets to hold it down.

Paul Ryan
01-08-2010, 10:44 PM
A side from the locking ring, the insert on the PCS is a little different. Up front of the throat plate there is any extra part that is ground out. It is for the silver mount for the shroud. The ICS doesn't have that. It could be done but not with wood. I think too much material has to be removed for the insert to be stable. But they are stinking expensive from sawstop.

mreza Salav
01-09-2010, 2:16 AM
Here is the one I built for dado. I copied everything (screws, set screws, etc) from the original one. I don't know what extra bits/pieces are for the PCS model.

137779 137780