PDA

View Full Version : Woodworker's club program ideas....

Bill White
01-08-2010, 4:13 PM
We have a pretty active WWing club and, as VP and program chair for this year, I am wonderin' if there are other clubs out there as well as what program subjects ya use. Open to all ideas....:rolleyes:
Bill

Michael Gibbons
01-08-2010, 7:03 PM
Bill, I'm not in any WWing club but are asking for a possible itinerary? Maybe schedule a demo from someone famous or take a road trip somewhere. I think Highland Hardware is in Georgia-make it a overnight trip. Is there a Woodcraft in your neck of the woods? Schedule a class for the whole club.
My.02.

Paul Steiner
01-08-2010, 7:31 PM
Setup a production run or assembly line where every member leaves with an item. It can be something pretty simple, 90 degree cabinet clamping guides would be good. Or anything a toy truck, napkin holder, etc. Set it up where every member brings their own board to avoid material cost.

Jim Finn
01-08-2010, 7:45 PM
Just last night I put on a 20 Min. program for our wood working club here in Lubbock. I just did an in depth show and tell on making a small bench top 7 drawer tool chest. Some guys have just done a talk about safety in the workshop. One guy just asked us all to tell about accidents in workshops or near misses. That was a lively discussion! Once we brought in a chip carver to show us how that is done. I have heard that some Mfg. reps for tools or equipment will come and give a program.
One guy in our club brought a "Ringmaster" tool and showed its use. Another member brought a lathe and turned a pen and gave it to one lucky member as a door prize.

Bruce Wrenn
01-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Here in central NC, we have Triangle Woodworkers Association. We try to schedule at least two nationally known speakers per year, and use local members. Often, and when using nationally knowns, we schedule a Sat - Sun workshop. Tuition offsets the cost of speaker. This month we are doing a program on jigs, both commercial, and shop made. Next month Greg Paloni will do the program. Later in the year, we will have a program featuring Leigh D-4 and PC 4212 dovetail jigs. Aug. program and workshop is on sharpening with sandpaper. Our Decenber program is ALWAYS about presenting toys to the Marines for Toys for Tots. Over the years we have made over 50,000 toys. I have done programs on the router, tablesaw, vacumm jigs, air piping for the shop. Klingspor (we meet in their store) did a program recently on abrasives. We have used Freud rep for programs.